How to visit GAE apps in China, now it denied completely!

Dark-horse

Mar 28, 2010, 10:17:10 AM3/28/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
The access is being completely denied. How to fix it ?

We love Google, but why google abandon their costomers without considering our feelings. Our bussiness totally dependent the stable access to our web site on GEA from China.

Guochun Shen
http://shenguochun.googlepages.com/
│      ┌┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┐         ∮
││    │▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌     life
│││  ││││││││││││││∮││    is full
│││  └┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴∮┴┴┘    of memories ...
? ┼┼┼──────────────────────────────────

Wooble

Mar 28, 2010, 2:48:46 PM3/28/10
to Google App Engine

On Mar 28, 10:17 am, Dark-horse <shenguoc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The access is being completely denied. How to fix it ?
>
> We love Google, but why google abandon their costomers without considering
> our feelings. Our bussiness totally dependent the stable access to our web
> site on GEA from China.

Because your government was hacking Google's servers to try to read
your email. Google can't change your government for you, and they
realized that they can't work with them, either.

Jeff Schnitzer

Mar 28, 2010, 3:26:47 PM3/28/10
On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Dark-horse <sheng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The access is being completely denied. How to fix it ?
>
> We love Google, but why google abandon their costomers without considering
> our feelings. Our bussiness totally dependent the stable access to our web
> site on GEA from China.

AFAIK, Appengine has never been reliably available from China. We all
share a common pool of IP addresses, and there are plenty of
applications running on GAE that China's government does not approve
of.

There are only two solutions to the problem: Either Google would have
to enforce China's orwellian social policy on GAE apps, or China will
have to give up the Great Firewall. I wouldn't hold out for the
former.

Jeff

Michael Loftis

Mar 28, 2010, 5:18:08 PM3/28/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

--On Sunday, March 28, 2010 10:17 PM +0800 Dark-horse
<sheng...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The access is being completely denied. How to fix it ?
>
> We love Google, but why google abandon their costomers without
> considering our feelings. Our bussiness totally dependent the stable
> access to our web site on GEA from China.

It's the Chinese government doing this, not Google. Google has tried, far
far more than most internet companies to make their services available in
China, but the Chinese government doesn't want the outside influence on
it's people. There's nothing that Google can do.

Josh Rehman

Mar 28, 2010, 7:30:29 PM3/28/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Dark-horse <sheng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The access is being completely denied. How to fix it ?
>
> We love Google, but why google abandon their costomers without considering
> our feelings. Our bussiness totally dependent the stable access to our web
> site on GEA from China.

There's a slight difference between "abandoning their customers" and
"getting firewalled by an oppressive government".

> --
> --
> Guochun Shen
> http://shenguochun.googlepages.com/
> │      ┌┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┐         ∮
> ││    │▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌     life
> │││  ││││││││││││││∮││    is full
> │││  └┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴∮┴┴┘    of memories ...
> ? ┼┼┼──────────────────────────────────

Eli Jones

Mar 28, 2010, 7:52:24 PM3/28/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Well.. if Dark-horse is in China.. then the news there probably said something like,

 “谷歌杀死婴儿。 恨中国谷歌在哪里?”

and.. your message probably really shows up as:

我恨谷歌了。为什么要杀死我的孩子? 谷歌!

so.. all in all.. it's not Dark-horse's fault... since the Chinese Government controls most media...

Will

Mar 29, 2010, 2:11:21 AM3/29/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Most of the time, yourapp.appspot.com can be accessed in China. www.yourdomain.com is a different story, many times it can't. What we've done is advertising yourapp.appspot.com in China.

Good luck,

Will

Singuan, Iap

Mar 29, 2010, 8:17:14 AM3/29/10
to Google App Engine
> We love Google, but why google abandon their costomers without considering
> our feelings. Our bussiness totally dependent the stable access to our web
> site on GEA from China.

It's unfair by saying that the Google "abandon customers".
It is not the Google's fault.
I would like to say that the Google abandons their revenue for your
human right!
But I do hope to see more and more people in China can keep contacts
with
the freedom and connected world.
The key is that you have to help yourselves.
Maybe this can do something for you:

Http over SMTP Proxy
http://www.edge-security.com/hosproxy.php

Dark-horse

Mar 29, 2010, 9:24:51 AM3/29/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

First, thanks your guys for helping me to get through the GFW.

But one point i still want to argue with you: which one, food or the right to hear any news, will you choose when you are almost hunger to death?

My point is that Google think we need the above right, but actually we want a job to keep our daily life first. You will not believe how hard to find a good job in China right now! Google should take a survey on Chinese people about what will they choose on the above question before take action like leave China.

Iap

Mar 29, 2010, 11:46:39 AM3/29/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Dark-horse

The Iceland Govt. in bankruptcy state does not has GFW.
It surprise me that the severe economical situation of China in your description.
Well, I don't think that here is the right place to make political or military arguments.
Let's focus on the problem specific to your country.

The GFW actually also enclosed an opportunity for you by locking the door up.
Why not start your own business with TyphoonAE(Python) or AppScale (Java) in your country.
The market of GAE-compatible service within the GFW is all yours.

Haven't you find that how great it is.
The people of China can access all the utilities and tools on the internet freely.
All of the free lunch on the internet were not been blocked by the GFW
provided that they do not annoy the China Govt.
Whereas the websites (services) outside the China are not accessible by consumers in the so-called world largest market which behinds the GFW.

No matter you care about your fellows' human rights or not,
The GFW might become beneficial to your pocket with TyphoonAE and AppScale.
See, what the Google done is good for the people who address to human rights
as well as people who emphases on business profits.

Raymond Ling

Mar 29, 2010, 10:27:49 AM3/29/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dark-horse,

I am a Chinese. I think it's useless to complaint here. Google has his faith, while Chinese gov has his rules. As we are unable to change either of two side, the only thing we can do is adapt ourself, keep pacing with the advanced techs, and figure out some solution to handle current situation.

Good news is GAE apps seems not blocked entirely, I can access my app in company, my friend told me he can access my app from home, and most apps in google app gallery are still available in China. Although still some websites are denied.

But I never heard any news about China gov will block Google App or Google cancel his app market in China. I think it's just some websites are blocked temporary due to some sensitive words. I agree that the condition for Chinese developers is not optimistic, but it's really meaningless to complaint here.
Best Regards,
From Raymond Ling

Ikai L (Google)

Mar 29, 2010, 2:51:07 PM3/29/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

I just wanted to direct folks to our latest blog post:

Even prior to this post, users in China reported sporadic access issues to App Engine applications. We also have this dashboard indicating the status of our services in China:

App Engine isn't on this. I'll double-check to see if this is an oversight on our part.

--
Ikai Lan
http://googleappengine.blogspot.com | http://twitter.com/app_engine