Creating a Windows desktop deployment utility ie. port of appcfg.py to C# client library

andy.booth

Feb 28, 2009, 9:02:42 AM2/28/09
to Google App Engine
Hi

I would like to author a .NET/C#/WPF application that takes a .zip
archive of a Google App Engine application and automate the deployment/
upload of the files to an account opened via Google Apps.

The scenario is to allow less technical administrators to deploy a
packaged small business site/application to Google App Engine.

In other words authoring a C#/.NET port of the code in appcfg.py,
including authentication and making calls to the endpoints such as /
api/appversion/deploy and /api/appversion/addfile.

Has anyone attempted this before, and is the code on the Google Code
open source site?

Are there any Terms of Service limitations that would rule out using
such as deployment utility?

Are there any technical roadblocks to think about when trying this?
Such as possible security setup by Google to block such applications,
and restrict deployment to the use of appcfg.py only.

Thanks for your help.

Andy

Andrew Badera

Mar 1, 2009, 4:05:05 AM3/1/09
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
There's been a similar utility, IIRC, for Macs since Day One.

I, for one, think this would be an excellent utility, and would be
happy to lend a .NET hand in any way possible.

Thanks-
- Andy Badera
- and...@badera.us
- (518) 641-1280
- Tech Valley Code Camp 2009.1: http://www.techvalleycodecamp.com/
- Google me: http://www.google.com/search?q=andrew+badera

Haoyu Bai

Mar 1, 2009, 5:52:42 AM3/1/09
On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Andrew Badera <and...@badera.us> wrote:

> There's been a similar utility, IIRC, for Macs since Day One.
>
> I, for one, think this would be an excellent utility, and would be
> happy to lend a .NET hand in any way possible.
>
> Thanks-
> - Andy Badera
> - and...@badera.us
> - (518) 641-1280
> - Tech Valley Code Camp 2009.1: http://www.techvalleycodecamp.com/
> - Google me: http://www.google.com/search?q=andrew+badera

Why not just write a pure Python GUI wrapper of appcfg.py, by using a
portable GUI toolkit, for example PyQt ?

Then it can benifit either Windows, Unix and Macs.

-- Haoyu Bai

Message has been deleted

andy.booth

Mar 1, 2009, 9:22:15 AM3/1/09
to Google App Engine
Thanks for the suggestions.

My aim was for the utility to be deployed by ClickOnce style
deployment, with a managed .NET client application, so that would rule
out wrapping the Python code. And aimed at non-technical users.

I assume the server APIs for Google App Engine application management/
deployment are undocumented as Google may change how they work, may
add/change restrictions or have more developer or deployment tools in
the works.

I suppose what I would really like is for a hybrid of Amazon DevPay,
Google App Engine Application Gallery and Android Market, to allow
developers to distribute/sell their lightweight (collaboration)
applications that run on Google App Engine, which get installed onto
client businesses own Google Apps/GAE environment. That would mean I
wouldn't need the deployment client utility at all! But I suppose that
sort of scenario might be a few years away from being practical for
Google to release, before the Apps/GAE platform matures. And aimed at
business, as I'm more focussed on exploring using GAE for business
than for consumer/social applications.

Many thanks.

Andy

Rajkumar Radhakrishnan

Sep 8, 2011, 6:45:44 AM9/8/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If you folks are still looking for..

> The scenario is to allow less technical administrators to deploy a
> packaged small business site/application to Google App Engine.

you should check out and star this feature request : Marketplace for Google App Engine apps.

Thanks & Regards,
R.Rajkumar

Build online database applications, over Google App Engine.
iFreeTools Creator - http://creator.ifreetools.com