Super High Latency!! many 500 response! What happen to GAE?

Eric Ka Ka Ng

Sep 21, 2010, 9:52:53 PM9/21/10
to Google App Engine
Have great troubles in serving requests today, even with the very simple one which usually takes <50ms!! What's wrong with GAE? Any system maintenance or incident happening?

here is one of the log

 500 10530ms 0cpu_ms 0kb
09-21 06:48PM 05.643
Request was aborted after waiting too long to attempt to service your request. This may happen sporadically when the App Engine serving cluster is under unexpectedly high or uneven load. If you see this message frequently, please contact the App Engine team.

- eric

Albert

Sep 21, 2010, 11:30:51 PM9/21/10
to Google App Engine
Same problem here.

Raymond C.

Sep 22, 2010, 3:20:59 AM9/22/10
to Google App Engine
Same here. The problem seems getting more serious. I hope the
appengine team is not ignoring all these.

Blixt

Sep 22, 2010, 5:10:33 AM9/22/10
to Google App Engine

Fredrik Bonander

Sep 22, 2010, 9:52:39 AM9/22/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Same here. Could this be related to using django 1.1?

..fredrik

Fredrik Bonander

the infinite power of the creative mind -

Blixt

Sep 22, 2010, 10:18:09 AM9/22/10
to Google App Engine
It's probably part due to using Django 1.1, since you are the third
person reporting this problem using Django 1.1 (assuming you are using
it :)

On Sep 22, 3:52 pm, Fredrik Bonander <carl.fredrik.bonan...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Same here. Could this be related to using django 1.1?
>
> ..fredrik
>
> On Sep 22, 2010, at 11:10 AM, Blixt wrote:
>

> > Yup, same here. Maybe related to:
> > -http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/...
> > and
> > -http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/...
>
> > On Sep 22, 3:52 am, Eric Ka Ka Ng <ngk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Have great troubles in serving requests today, even with the very simple one
> >> which usually takes <50ms!! What's wrong with GAE? Any system maintenance or
> >> incident happening?
>
> >> here is one of the log
>
> >>  500 10530ms 0cpu_ms 0kb
> >> 09-21 06:48PM 05.643
>
> >> Request was aborted after waiting too long to attempt to service your
> >> request. This may happen sporadically when the App Engine serving
> >> cluster is under unexpectedly high or uneven load. If you see this
> >> message frequently, please contact the App Engine team.
>
> >> - eric
>
> > --
>
> --
> Fredrik Bonander
> carl.fredrik.bonan...@gmail.com

Fredrik Bonander

Sep 22, 2010, 10:25:58 AM9/22/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Yes. But I can't see how this is relevant since (at least for me) the error always occur during datastore calls (at least for me)

..fredrik

Fredrik Bonander

Geoffrey Spear

Sep 22, 2010, 11:41:09 AM9/22/10
to Google App Engine

On Sep 22, 10:25 am, Fredrik Bonander
<carl.fredrik.bonan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes. But I can't see how this is relevant since (at least for me) the error always occur during datastore calls (at least for me)

If the requests it's happened on are always loading requests (they'll
have an INFO-level logging message to that effect), it's likely
because your framework is taking a long time to import everything,
giving you less time to do datastore calls after the imports. If
they're not just on loading requests, maybe you're trying to squeeze
too many (or too large) datastore calls into a request.

Fredrik Bonander

Sep 22, 2010, 12:10:53 PM9/22/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
That make sence, thanks. But something is defently going on. Since the requests(same as the ones that fails after about 20-30 sec) that works as the should has a response of about 400-500 ms.

..fredrik

Sent from my iPad

Blixt

Sep 22, 2010, 12:12:22 PM9/22/10
to Google App Engine
In my case it's throwing a DeadlineExceededError before it even
reaches the code responsible for handling the request, meaning there
are no service requests at all before the error, only imports. It
occurs mostly when starting a new instance of the application so yes,
it's related to the imports taking too long. But importing Django 1.1
shouldn't take 30 seconds (that's the time for every request with
DeadlineExceededError).

James Saull

Sep 22, 2010, 10:31:04 AM9/22/10
to Google App Engine
I am using Django as is bundled by default by GAE and I am getting
failures again today. It happened for most of yesterday - was fine
this morning and now failing again. Even the simple pages which
normally take a few cpu cycles. I can access the dashboard and view my
data from there no problem.

Carlos Ble

Sep 22, 2010, 12:24:01 PM9/22/10
to Google App Engine
Hi,
We are having the same problem. We have had the service down for
almost 20minutes. We also use Django 1.1 and I understand than
importing all modules might take time but it usually works in less
than 500ms, and now it is producing DeadlineExceededError just in the
imports, so before any query. This is really unstable.

Can somebody explain us this, please?

Thanks

Carlos Ble

Sep 22, 2010, 2:29:37 PM9/22/10
to Google App Engine
We are also facing this problem. Too many DeadlineExceededError. We
also use Django 1.1 but the same app usually loads within 500ms, and
today we have been down for about 20 minutes.

Now we have deployed the version precompiling the app (just changing
app.yaml and deploying) and so far we haven't found any
DeadlineExceededError but still a bunch of 500 error responses, which
in the logs appear as warnings:

"Request was aborted after waiting too long to attempt to service your
request. This may happen sporadically when the App Engine serving
cluster is under unexpectedly high or uneven load. If you see this
message frequently, please contact the App Engine team."

Something is not working fine today definitively. Someone from Google
can give us an explanation please?

Thanks

Carlos Ble

Sep 22, 2010, 2:38:59 PM9/22/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Well, this is the third time I try to send this message.
Am not feeling very lucky today :-)

Our application is suffering the same problem. App Engine
is not running normally today. Apart from DeadlineExceededError,
we are getting this warning:

Request was aborted after waiting too long to attempt to service your request. This may happen sporadically when the App Engine serving cluster is under unexpectedly high or uneven load. If you see this message frequently, please contact the App Engine team.
This warning results in an 500 error message to the user with
"Error: Server Error" ....

Someone from Google can explain this, please?

Thanks

--
Carlos Ble
www.MavenCharts.com

ego008

Sep 22, 2010, 10:46:12 PM9/22/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Same here. http://gaefons.appspot.com/

2010/9/22 James Saull <james...@gmail.com>

--
GAE粉丝团 http://gaefons.appspot.com/

Raymond C.

Sep 23, 2010, 1:45:21 AM9/23/10
to Google App Engine
Really disappointed that after 24 hours and still no one from Google
is responding, or at least tell us someone is looking at it...

On Sep 23, 10:46 am, ego008 <ego...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Same here.http://gaefons.appspot.com/
>
> 2010/9/22 James Saull <james.sa...@gmail.com>
> > .
> > groups.google.com/group/google-appengine?hl=en.

> > --
> > .

Eric Ka Ka Ng

Sep 23, 2010, 2:07:04 AM9/23/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
i'm NOT using Django so i guess it's not related to importing Django modules

the problem for me, was even for some very simple request which usually takes <50ms, would still be facing deadlineExceedError.

but one common properties for all these long latency calls are, yes, they are retrieving something from DS, so i think it's sth related to DS get

the problem happened yesterday, and now seems the latency is getting normal. not sure if G has done anything about it...

James Saull

Sep 23, 2010, 4:13:51 AM9/23/10
to Google App Engine
I am finding my app works for a while and then stops and then comes
back again etc. This is now the third day of being unstable after
being stable for ages. I haven't changed the app at all. The main URI
normally averages: 57ms latency and 79cpu_ms. One page which is just a
Django template page and makes no calls to memcache or the DB gets
errors like this:

"Request was aborted after waiting too long to attempt to service your
request. This may happen sporadically when the App Engine serving
cluster is under unexpectedly high or uneven load. If you see this
message frequently, please contact the App Engine team."

Glad to see Google Engineers apparently ignoring this. I love the way
http://code.google.com/status/appengine shows that AppEngine is
running fine. What rubbish!

I use Azure and AWS and this is proving to be the worst cloud platform
of the lot so far whilst promising to be the most interesting for
certain class of application. Confidence in Google is draining fast.
Yes I know it is preview but Azure in Beta was far better and there
were engineers looking in the groups and scouring twitter etc. Would
you consider GAE for production applications if the service dashboard
says "100% perfect" when clearly it is not, and the engineers are not
engaging after a few days?

Very disappointed.

On Sep 23, 7:07 am, Eric Ka Ka Ng <ngk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i'm NOT using Django so i guess it's not related to importing Django modules
>
> the problem for me, was even for some very simple request which usually
> takes <50ms, would still be facing deadlineExceedError.
>
> but one common properties for all these long latency calls are, yes, they
> are retrieving something from DS, so i think it's sth related to DS get
>
> the problem happened yesterday, and now seems the latency is getting normal.
> not sure if G has done anything about it...

> > e...@googlegroups.com>

James Saull

Sep 23, 2010, 4:59:40 AM9/23/10
to Google App Engine
I have noticed that if my application is idle for a while I am likely
to get the "request was aborted..." message. But then when I retry the
request it is likely to respond. I can then click around the
application quickly and responsively. If I then leave it for a short
while it goes back into failure mode.

Has Google got some aggressive garbage collecting going on? I.e. idle
apps are unloaded very quickly but cannot be reloaded into the engine
quickly enough to serve the first request? This would explain the
service dashboard showing 100% uptime because the apps being pinged by
the monitoring tool are kept alive and loaded by the engine -i.e. they
are effectively not allowed to idle and be unloaded due to the
monitoring activity?

Don't want to write a cron job to keep my app alive!

On Sep 23, 9:13 am, James Saull <james.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am finding my app works for a while and then stops and then comes
> back again etc. This is now the third day of being unstable after
> being stable for ages. I haven't changed the app at all. The main URI
> normally averages: 57ms latency and 79cpu_ms. One page which is just a
> Django template page and makes no calls to memcache or the DB gets
> errors like this:
>
> "Request was aborted after waiting too long to attempt to service your
> request. This may happen sporadically when the App Engine serving
> cluster is under unexpectedly high or uneven load. If you see this
> message frequently, please contact the App Engine team."
>
> Glad to see Google Engineers apparently ignoring this. I love the wayhttp://code.google.com/status/appengineshows that AppEngine is

Carlos Ble

Sep 23, 2010, 5:35:55 AM9/23/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,
Yesterday we deployed a version using precompilacion. app.yaml:

api_version: 1

derived_file_type:
- python_precompiled

handlers:

We also have a monitoring tool that makes a request to the home page every 4 minutes, and a selenium test every 15 minutes. That helps keeping the app alive, so that when users come to visit after some inactivity they don't get the 500 error. Don't know if this is bad for google but it is definitively good for our users and that is what matters to us.

Since yesterday night, we haven't seen the app fail.
Hope that helps to you guys :-S

Carlos Ble

Sep 23, 2010, 5:40:23 AM9/23/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Jesus! the sooner I write the email, the sooner I get the 500 again :'-(

I better shut up

Raymond C.

Sep 23, 2010, 6:20:07 AM9/23/10
to Google App Engine
I think its not related to whether the app is idle or not. My app has
constant requests (> 8 req/s all the time) for the whole day everyday
but still seeing a lot of these from time to time.

Its even more frustrating is that I have to pay for all these extra
CPU consumed because of deadline exceeded on DB get or put. I am
currently spending more than $20USD per day for hosting on appengin,
wondering if it would be much cheaper if it is on AWS...

On Sep 23, 5:40 pm, Carlos Ble <ble.jur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jesus! the sooner I write the email, the sooner I get the 500 again :'-(
>
> I better shut up
>
> 2010/9/23 Carlos Ble <ble.jur...@gmail.com>
>

> > Hi guys,
> > Yesterday we deployed a version using precompilacion. app.yaml:

> > api_version: 1
>
> > derived_file_type:
> > - python_precompiled
>
> > handlers:
>
> > We also have a monitoring tool that makes a request to the home page every
> > 4 minutes, and a selenium test every 15 minutes. That helps keeping the app
> > alive, so that when users come to visit after some inactivity they don't get
> > the 500 error. Don't know if this is bad for google but it is definitively
> > good for our users and that is what matters to us.
>
> > Since yesterday night, we haven't seen the app fail.
> > Hope that helps to you guys :-S
>
> > 2010/9/23 James Saull <james.sa...@gmail.com>
> >> wayhttp://code.google.com/status/appengineshowsthat AppEngine is
> >> e...@googlegroups.com>
>
> >> --

James Saull

Sep 23, 2010, 6:48:52 AM9/23/10
to Google App Engine
I suspect that you will get just as much value from AWS. Given you are
using PaaS on GAE you might want to look at Azure as you don't have to
run .net - we've put tomcat and java/spring apps on Azure.

I think what galls me is that the service dashboard is pretending that
all is well and no one from google appears to be looking into this and
talking on a forum is not the same as talking to google engineers.
More than happy to inject diagnostic code into my app for them if it
will help them get to the bottom of things.

For me I noticed this happing on Tuesday morning UK time and I hate
feeling powerless to make a remedy!

> read more »

Nikolai

Sep 23, 2010, 8:50:42 AM9/23/10
to Google App Engine
We're also having lots and lots of deadline exceeded errors in our App
since about 12 hours. Deploying a new version seems to fix the problem
for a while, but then everything is back to 500 errors.
It's the same code that did the job just fine for the last month ...

http://189-fabian.latest.dctptv.appspot.com e.g. this version is
throwing 500 errors all the time ... other versions (with the same
code) throw 500 errors sometimes and sometimes not.

could someone at google have a look into this?

regards,
nikolai

James Saull

Sep 23, 2010, 9:06:03 AM9/23/10
to Google App Engine
Whilst yours is bombing out, mine is still serving results - for the
moment anyway. Clearly we are all intermittently affected at different
times. Google is not listening by the way as they clearly put all
their faith in their misguided status dashboard.

On Sep 23, 1:50 pm, Nikolai <longol...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> We're also having lots and lots of deadline exceeded errors in our App
> since about 12 hours. Deploying a new version seems to fix the problem
> for a while, but then everything is back to 500 errors.
> It's the same code that did the job just fine for the last month ...
>
> http://189-fabian.latest.dctptv.appspot.come.g. this version is

Carlos Ble

Sep 23, 2010, 9:17:30 AM9/23/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Same things you say are happening to us. The same code in one app fails more than other app. Thanks for sharing the fact that making requests constantly do not fix anything :-(

Hope we get some info soon.

mscwd01

Sep 23, 2010, 9:31:57 AM9/23/10
to Google App Engine
I'm fairly sure the recent issues people have been experiencing with
the GAE are a result of the maintenance performed a week or so ago.

My app performs slower and experiences short outage periods throughout
the day. Looking at the logs it's as if the app works fine (although
slower than before) for 15 or so minutes then stutters for a few
minutes (serving 500 errors) and then recovers.

I just WISH a Google engineer would update this thread and give us the
low-down on the obvious problems they have been dealing with since the
maintenance - more importantly informing us of when they hope to get
the GAE reliable again.

I would also add the datastore performs slower (on GETs and PUTs)
since the maintenance - whatever they did to it wasn't beneficial!

On Sep 23, 2:17 pm, Carlos Ble <ble.jur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Same things you say are happening to us. The same code in one app fails more
> than other app. Thanks for sharing the fact that making requests constantly
> do not fix anything :-(
>
> Hope we get some info soon.
>
> 2010/9/23 James Saull <james.sa...@gmail.com>
> > .

Fabiant7t

Sep 23, 2010, 9:29:51 AM9/23/10
to Google App Engine
Working on the same Application Nikolai mentioned before, App Engine
more-than-sporadically returns Server Error 500. Our application is
written in Python, using Memcache, URL Fetch, TaskQueue APIs, the
Datastore and a zip-imported version of Django 1.2.3 (some people
cared about Django versions here).

Trying to find out what part of the code/which API calls caused the
latency and the DeadlineExceededErrors we installed Guido van Rossum's
Appstats as the first django middleware, and even the code of our
Benevolent Dictator for Life is not available all the time (a good
indicator that it must be a system defect as his code is perfect
anytime ;))
Unfortunately, Appstats can't log 500er errors, but if some Googlers
consider it useful to have Appstats results, it's living here:
http://190-fabian.latest.dctptv.appspot.com/appstats

Looking forward to hearing from you and seeing some changes on the
system status page,
Fabian

On Sep 23, 2:50 pm, Nikolai <longol...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> We're also having lots and lots of deadline exceeded errors in our App
> since about 12 hours. Deploying a new version seems to fix the problem
> for a while, but then everything is back to 500 errors.
> It's the same code that did the job just fine for the last month ...
>
> http://189-fabian.latest.dctptv.appspot.come.g. this version is

Fabiant7t

Sep 23, 2010, 10:42:50 AM9/23/10
to Google App Engine
I raised an issue that you could star if you're app is doing the same:
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=3771

Darien Caldwell

Sep 23, 2010, 12:10:22 PM9/23/10
to Google App Engine
Lots of steady errors here.

No, I don't use DJango.

It does seem to be more likely on a cold instance, but probably
because there is more actions that can potentially fail in such a
case.

The logs simply show everything is just taking way too long. It's like
it's running in slow motion.

Here's the timeline of the exact same handler, when it runs normally,
and when it goes into super slow-mo and hits DeadlineExceeded:

Normal:

09-23 08:20AM 17.669 /prvlog/?type=generate 200 1992ms 595cpu_ms
90api_cpu_ms 0kb Second Life LSL/10.9.10(210079) (http://
secondlife.com),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
216.82.22.213 - - [23/Sep/2010:08:20:19 -0700] "GET /prvlog/?
type=generate HTTP/1.1" 200 212 - "Second Life LSL/10.9.10(210079)
(http://secondlife.com),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)" "sl.logos-cards.com"
ms=1993 cpu_ms=595 api_cpu_ms=90 cpm_usd=0.016646 loading_request=1
D 09-23 08:20AM 18.814
Initializing code_cache.
I 09-23 08:20AM 19.559
Request type GET
I 09-23 08:20AM 19.660
This request caused a new process to be started for your application,
and thus caused your application code to be loaded for the first time.
This request may thus take longer and use more CPU than a typical
request for your application.

( Note i chose a cold instance to compare apples to apples)
From time the request was received, until the code cache started Init
= approx 1.2 seconds
From time the the code cache started Init until GET type determined =
approx 0.8 seconds

Super Slow-Mo:

09-23 08:19AM 54.029 /prvlog/?type=generate 500 36556ms 420cpu_ms 0kb
Second Life LSL/10.9.10(210079) (http://
secondlife.com),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
216.82.22.213 - - [23/Sep/2010:08:20:30 -0700] "GET /prvlog/?
type=generate HTTP/1.1" 500 0 - "Second Life LSL/10.9.10(210079)
(http://secondlife.com),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)" "sl.logos-cards.com"
ms=36557 cpu_ms=420 api_cpu_ms=0 cpm_usd=0.011760
D 09-23 08:20AM 02.891
Initializing code_cache.
E 09-23 08:20AM 30.572
Traceback (most recent call last):
E 09-23 08:20AM 30.572
File "/base/python_runtime/python_dist/lib/python2.5/wsgiref/
handlers.py", line 92, in run
E 09-23 08:20AM 30.572
self.result = application(self.environ, self.start_response)
E 09-23 08:20AM 30.573
File "/base/data/home/apps/slconductor/1-6.344995808500721827/kay/
lib/werkzeug/wsgi.py", line 466, in __call__
E 09-23 08:20AM 30.573
<class 'google.appengine.runtime.DeadlineExceededError'>:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/base/data/home/apps/slconductor/1-6.344995808500721827/kay/
main.py", line 102, in <module>
main()
File "/base/data/home/apps/slconductor/1-6.344995808500721827/kay/
main.py", line 71, in real_main
KayHandler().run(application)
File "/base/python_runtime/python_dist/lib/python2.5/wsgiref/
handlers.py", line 96, in run
self.handle_error()
File "/base/python_runtime/python_dist/lib/python2.5/wsgiref/
handlers.py", line 306, in handle_error
self.log_exception(sys.exc_info())
File "/base/python_runtime/python_dist/lib/python2.5/wsgiref/
handlers.py", line 298, in log_exception
self.traceback_limit, stderr
File "/base/python_runtime/python_dist/lib/python2.5/traceback.py",
line 125, in print_exception
print_tb(tb, limit, file)
File "/base/python_runtime/python_dist/lib/python2.5/traceback.py",
line 69, in print_tb
line = linecache.getline(filename, lineno, f.f_globals)
File "/base/python_runtime/python_dist/lib/python2.5/linecache.py",
line 14, in getline
lines = getlines(filename, module_globals)
File "/base/python_runtime/python_dist/lib/python2.5/linecache.py",
line 40, in getlines
return updatecache(filename, module_globals)
File "/base/python_runtime/python_dist/lib/python2.5/linecache.py",
line 129, in updatecache

From time the request was received, until the code cache started Init
= approx 8.9 seconds
From time the the code cache started Init until GET type determined =
Never reached, even after 28 seconds.

It frankly has nothing at all to do with the code, it's a problem with
App Engine.

John Gardner

Sep 23, 2010, 2:41:11 PM9/23/10
to Google App Engine
We are seeing terrible performance and floods of 500 errors, also.

Our site has become unusable; the brief periods of non-error responses
are insufficient for running an application.

The fact that this problem is unacknowledged is the most horrible;
I've got no explanation for the non-technical members of our team. Is
there any official word about this? Do we need a migration plan away
from AppEngine?

On Sep 23, 11:10 am, Darien Caldwell <darien.caldw...@gmail.com>

Ikai Lan (Google)

Sep 23, 2010, 4:14:04 PM9/23/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
We're trying to categorize the issues here:

http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/6ded39ad5166d0be#

We're aware of the issue and looking into it, but any information that can be provided will help us to address it faster.

--
Ikai Lan

Utku Utkan

Sep 23, 2010, 4:21:22 PM9/23/10
to Google App Engine
We are also experiencing serious HTTP 500 errors with our blogging
application Hoydaa Blog (http://utku-utkan.appspot.com/). Same code is
running on many accounts and some of them are performing terrible.
There are just too many DeadlineExceedErrors. The strange thing is we
are also experiencing HTTP 500 errors on our company website
http://www.hoydaa.com/ which makes no datastore calls and just serves
static content. Maybe not as serious as the Hoydaa Blog failures but
still, causes lots of headache.