Questions concerning Datastore Growing Pains

1 view

Bill Edwards

Jun 2, 2010, 7:29:12 PM6/2/10
to Google App Engine
I would personally like more information on these datastore growing
pains. As a startup, that has been strongly considering building
solely on Google App Engine, we are very, very concerned with these
instances of failure.

If possible, can somebody from the GAE team give us information, on a
technical level, about how serious these problems are, and how
preventable they are in the future? Is it possible that after these
problems are fixed, that this will reoccur 2-3 times a year? If so,
how likely? If not, why not?

I think you all would be doing the community a huge service by giving
us a realistic outlook on problems to come. If we can't depend 99.9%
on GAE right now, that is fine. We will come back when you are
ready. But, as a startup building a business application, we can't
risk these sort of downtimes.

I look forward to a candid response.

bFlood

Jun 3, 2010, 8:53:19 AM6/3/10
to Google App Engine
+1, well said.

ten_foot_ninja

Jun 3, 2010, 3:13:38 PM6/3/10
to Google App Engine
App engine is in google beta. I don't think you'll get the kind of
answer you are looking for. Certainly you won't get any one guessing
as to how many serious problems will occur a year.

I can say though as another startup business, we decided to go with
app engine and I can't say we run into any reliability problems often.
We have never lost data and outages are few and far between. My
biggest issue at the moment is the relatively slow data store
performance (which Google says they are addressing).

To be fair, we are in beta ourselves and don't have an extensive user
base to thoroughly test things for us all the time.

Aaron

Jun 3, 2010, 5:10:53 PM6/3/10
to Google App Engine
+1, the 'relatively slow data store performance' is unusable for us.
we are hitting the soft memory limit on every request. this causes an
instance to respawn on every request (5+ seconds of latency). Any
mission-critical application running on GAE would be dead in the water
right now.