More Datastore Examples Please

Vijayakumar Subburaj

Aug 4, 2008, 10:51:16 AM8/4/08
to Google App Engine
Google appengine datastore is not very clear, and I couldn't get much
from API documents. It would be very helpful if there are some more
detailed documents with examples. Django provides very good
documentation, but I don't know how much it is compatible with google
appengine.

Google appengine examples are not using datastore extensively, so this
is also not helping much in modeling datastore.

wiki.py is using low level APIs, this looks simple but couldn't find
any documentation for this.

Web search is also not giving anything useful.

Can anyone please provide me some URLs where I can find some datastore
examples, articles, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff S

Aug 5, 2008, 6:07:31 PM8/5/08
to Google App Engine
Hello,

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, the datastore system can take a bit of
getting used to, and I'm glad that you mentioned the need for more
detailed documentation and examples. Are there any specific questions
that you've been thinking about?

At Google I/O (http://code.google.com/events/io/), there were a few
sessions which dealt with the datastore, and I've found the recorded
videos and slides to be very helpful. It's no substitute for good
documentation but I think you might find these very informative:

http://sites.google.com/site/io/building-scalable-web-applications-with-google-app-engine
http://sites.google.com/site/io/under-the-covers-of-the-google-app-engine-datastore
http://sites.google.com/site/io/working-with-google-app-engine-models

Happy coding,

Jeff

On Aug 4, 7:51 am, v4vijayakumar <vijayakumar.subbu...@gmail.com>

Vijayakumar Subburaj

Aug 6, 2008, 11:25:48 AM8/6/08
to Google App Engine

On Aug 6, 3:07 am, Jeff S <j...@google.com> wrote:
> On Aug 4, 7:51 am, v4vijayakumar <vijayakumar.subbu...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Google appengine datastore is not very clear, and I couldn't get much
> > from API documents. It would be very helpful if there are some more
> > detailed documents with examples. Django provides very good
> > documentation, but I don't know how much it is compatible with google
> > appengine.
> >
> > Google appengine examples are not using datastore extensively, so this
> > is also not helping much in modeling datastore.
> >
> > wiki.py is using low level APIs, this looks simple but couldn't find
> > any documentation for this.
> >
> > Web search is also not giving anything useful.
> >
> > Can anyone please provide me some URLs where I can find some datastore
> > examples, articles, etc.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.> Hello,
>
> Thanks for your feedback. Yes, the datastore system can take a bit of
> getting used to, and I'm glad that you mentioned the need for more
> detailed documentation and examples. Are there any specific questions
> that you've been thinking about?
>
> At Google I/O (http://code.google.com/events/io/), there were a few
> sessions which dealt with the datastore, and I've found the recorded
> videos and slides to be very helpful. It's no substitute for good
> documentation but I think you might find these very informative:

Couple of datastore-centric example applications would be very
helpful.

Document is also not very clear (for me), about how to use key_name,
and id.

I got some help from ryan. I was looking for some way to execute
datastore related operations through Idle. I can continue from
here. :)

http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/d2a948ee6f6bcb89
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/7c7cd1babc4484d