Authentication with API key

jantonio.martin

Apr 10, 2008, 6:01:17 AM4/10/08
to Google App Engine
Can a user be authenticated by means of an API key in an url, instead
of through google's login form?

ma...@google.com

Apr 10, 2008, 12:50:33 PM4/10/08
to Google App Engine
Hi,
At this time the only authentication methods that are offered with
Google App Engine are authentication against Google Accounts or
authentication with Google Apps using our Users API. Also, you can
restrict your application to admin only or login required.

It is possible to build more custom access controls on top of that
which is available, for instance, storing keys in the datastore.
Please keep in mind when designing any system that Google App Engine
does not currently provide SSL support for your domain.

-Marzia

On Apr 10, 3:01 am, "jantonio.martin" <jantonio.mar...@gmail.com>

Edoardo Marcora

Apr 19, 2008, 10:56:31 PM4/19/08
to Google App Engine
Marzia (what a nice Italian name ;)

could you give us a couple of examples of how to implement user
authentication without a form? Not having login(username, password)
and logout(username) methods on the user object (with username being a
unique key in the context of an application or realm) makes things a
bit harder than they should. Of course I could solve it with a custom
User model, but I feel like I shouldn't bypass the GAE User model.

Grazie,

Dado