User Login for *Any* Google Apps Domain

Andrew Chilton

Jan 10, 2010, 4:19:30 AM1/10/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I was planning on creating an application such as the Google Labs
Short Links service. It would be a service such that anyone with a
Google Apps domain could map a subdomain to my application, log in and
only be able to see their data. I have some great ideas for services
but am at a stumbling block during my design phase.

Let me give you an example. e.g. someone who owns example.com could
map sub.example.com to my app, and someone who owns example.org could
map blah.example.org to my app also. They should be able to log in
with their Google Apps username/password and then only see the data
they or people in their domain has created.

Don't worry about the data partitioning for now since I have a
solution for that. However I am stuck at the Authentication Options. I
don't think the Authentication Options covers this situation:

Authentication Options are:

1) Open to all Google Accounts users (default)
2) Restricted to the following Google Apps domain [eg. example.com]

In the first case, all Google Apps accounts won't work on on my
application, and in the 2nd case I can only let users of one Apps
Domain to be able to log in.

I'm happy (for example) if I have to use a completely different way of
letting people log in (eg. OpenID with Nick's aeoid) but I wonder how
Google Labs are able to do this. Is this something special for them
that we're not allowed to use or don't know about? Do they do
something similar to Nick's or are they using something built in to
AppEngine that we don't know about?

I'd love to know since if there is a way to do it without integrating
Nick's OpenID thing, that'd be awesome. Many thanks! Being able to
create Enterprise applications in this way would be an awesome
business model especially modelled on the way Moderator, Code Reviews
and Short Links work.

Cheers,
Andy

--
contact: Andrew Chilton
website: http://www.chilts.org/

Andrew Chilton

Jan 10, 2010, 7:34:30 PM1/10/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

2010/1/10 Andrew Chilton <andyc...@gmail.com>:

> Authentication Options are:
>
> 1) Open to all Google Accounts users (default)
> 2) Restricted to the following Google Apps domain [eg. example.com]

An interesting feature of creating a new app is, if you choose the 2nd
option but don't actually put a domain into the box, it'll create the
app as option 1. I smell a bug here. Can anyone verify for me and I'll
go create an issue for the App Engine team.