754 mcycles to update an entity (sole in group) with one integer property

Josh Heitzman

Oct 16, 2008, 12:17:22 AM10/16/08
to Google App Engine
As we didn't see anyone from the GAE team confirm or deny that the
excessive mcycle consumption for doing an entity update was due to the
number of properties on the entity (see this thread
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/2901a4ddd1f671d9
) I decided to do a little experiment.

Follows are the average mcycle consumptions (on GAE not locally) to
update 4 different types of entities. Each entity has no parent and
or children (i.e. its the one and only entity in its group). There
was no contention as these entities were created solely for this test.

754 - one IntegerProperty
864 - One each of IntegerProperty, DateTimeProperty, FloatProperty,
and StringProperty
718 - one StringListProperty with no elements
2141 - one StringListProperty with 40 elements each with 14
characters.

Has anyone else done a similar experiment?

If so did you get similar results?

Josh Heitzman

Oct 16, 2008, 12:55:15 AM10/16/08
to Google App Engine
Oh, and:

756 - one StringListProperty with 1 element with 490 characters.

So each of the three trials had just one property was under 800
mcycles regardless of the size of the property.

On Oct 15, 9:17 pm, Josh Heitzman <JoshHeitz...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> As we didn't see anyone from the GAE team confirm or deny that the
> excessive mcycle consumption for doing an entity update was due to the
> number of properties on the entity (see this threadhttp://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/...

Alex Epshteyn

Oct 16, 2008, 8:14:12 PM10/16/08
to Google App Engine
I believe the excessive consumption of megacycles is due to the
datastore API busy-waiting on all puts. Also see Issue 764.