30 sec execution limitation only to web requests or to all requests ?

Krishnan Saidapet P. T.

Mar 24, 2010, 10:19:32 AM3/24/10
to Google App Engine
Hi,

The following from Google App Engine states,

"..Application code only runs in response to a web request, a queued
task, or a scheduled task, and must return response data within 30
seconds in any case. A request handler cannot spawn a sub-process or
execute code after the response has been sent..."

My question being, is 30 sec applicable only for web questions or to
even requests from a queued and scheduled tasks as well ?

--Kris

Ikai L (Google)

Mar 24, 2010, 1:53:08 PM3/24/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Yes, queued tasks and scheduled tasks have an execution time limit as
well. You'll want to break your large tasks into smaller pieces. We've
committed to map/reduce support to help make this easier on our
roadmap for a future release.

> --

Ikai Lan
http://googleappengine.blogspot.com | http://twitter.com/app_engine

Krishnan Saidapet P. T.

Mar 24, 2010, 2:21:09 PM3/24/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ikai,

Thanks for the reply.

Sure I will architecture my application this way. Is the limit for queued/scheduled tasks also 30 seconds as well or is it some other figure ?

thanks,
--Kris

Ikai L (Google)

Mar 24, 2010, 2:27:37 PM3/24/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Yep.

Michael Loftis

Mar 24, 2010, 5:23:53 PM3/24/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

--On Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:21 AM -0700 "S.P.T.Krishnan"
<sptkr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ikai,
>

> Thanks for the reply.
>

> Sure I will architecture my application this way. Is the limit for
> queued/scheduled tasks also 30 seconds as well or is it some other figure
> ?

I'm sure that part of the reason google has made this decision (besides
just preventing run away tasks) is to encourage building things in such a
way that you can run many independent tasks in parallel.

I wish more people would write software with that sort of thing in mind :)