Facebook Integration?

Devel63

Sep 8, 2009, 5:09:58 PM9/8/09
to Google App Engine
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good resource for Facebook
Connect/GAE integration?

Neither the ShelfTalkers article (http://code.google.com/appengine/
articles/shelftalkers.html), nor PyFacebook (upon which ShelfTalkers
relies) appear to work anymore. For example, PyFacebook relies on an
'add' parameter in the session cookie which is not (any longer?)
there.

This post (http://forum.developers.facebook.com/viewtopic.php?
id=23276) enabled me to move forward (just look for the 'user' param
and set 'added' true if present), but it's scary to be relying on
something that's possibly no longer maintained.

Is PyFacebook still maintained and working?

And how do people test this FB stuff on a local server (I'm having to
upload to Google every time)? The ShelfTalkers article implied I
could just set the FB callback URL to 127.0.0.1:8080, but either that
or something else is causing weird failures.

Ram Shanker

Sep 8, 2009, 6:14:26 PM9/8/09
to Google App Engine

P@

Sep 8, 2009, 6:17:48 PM9/8/09
to Google App Engine
stripedbananas is an excellent example of FB Connect integration on
GAE Python
Code at: http://code.google.com/p/cassiesplayground/source/browse/#svn/trunk/stripedbananas
Demo at: http://stripedbananas.appspot.com/

And you get Google Friend Connect for the same price:-)

P@

Devel63

Sep 10, 2009, 11:41:49 AM9/10/09
to Google App Engine
Unfortunately, this is where I got my copy of pyfacebook, and as I
mentioned, it relies on receiving an 'added' parameter which Facebook
no longer apparently provides. I don't know what else is wrong with
it, if anything.

Devel63

Sep 10, 2009, 12:46:30 PM9/10/09
to Google App Engine
Thanks for this example.

It looks to me like you started with pyfacebook, and then included a
simplified check_session/check_connect_session function (that ignores
this 'added' parameter I was complaining about). Is that correct?
Were there any other 'gotchas'?

Or is there some official or centralized location to get the latest
version of the facebook set of libraries?