Mail throttling/quota errors

Aral Balkan

Jun 20, 2008, 2:59:57 PM6/20/08
to Google App Engine
I noticed while trying to email speakers yesterday that sending of
emails appears to be throttled beyond the 5000 email limit we have per
day.

Based on observation, it seems that you cannot rapidly (and by
rapidly, I mean one a second or so) send more than 10 emails at a time
without getting an over quota error.

Waiting a while and then trying again works until you get to the 10
message limit again.

Can someone verify that this is the case as I don't believe I've seen
it documented anywhere.

Here are my quotas at the time I was getting the over quota errors:

CPU Used 1.94 of 199608.00 Gigacycles (0%)
Data Sent 0.26 of 2048.00 Megabytes (0%)
Data Received 0.00 of 2048.00 Megabytes (0%)
Emails Sent 30.00 of 2000.00 Emails (1%)
Megabytes Stored 0.23 of 500.00 Megabytes (0%)

And here's the error itself:

OverQuotaError at /mail/
The API call mail.Send() required more quota than is available.

Request Method: GET
Request URL: http://si.appspot.com/mail/
Exception Type: OverQuotaError
Exception Value: The API call mail.Send() required more quota than is
available.
Exception Location: /base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/
runtime/apiproxy.py in CheckSuccess, line 189
Python Executable: /base/
Python Version: 2.5.2
Python Path: ['/base/python_lib/versions/1', '/base/python_dist/lib/
python25.zip', '/base/python_dist/lib/python2.5/', '/base/python_dist/
lib/python2.5/plat-linux2', '/base/python_dist/lib/python2.5/lib-tk',
'/base/python_dist/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload', '/base/data/home/apps/
si/1.40/']
Server time: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 19:25:07 +0000

Thanks,
Aral

Marzia Niccolai

Jun 20, 2008, 3:05:17 PM6/20/08
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aral,
 The current quota is 2,000 emails per day.  The email quota works just like the other App Engine quotas, it's enforced not only per day, but throughout the day as well.  You should not really be able to send more than about 2 emails per minute at your application's peak.

- Marzia

Garrett Smith

Jun 20, 2008, 3:57:27 PM6/20/08
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Is the mail API and associated quota available merely to test the functionality at this time? The "two or so emails per minute" throttle, without the ability to queue messages and balance load, seems more of a proof of concept than something typical web apps would use.

If this is a near term limitation, I understand.

Garrett

Aral Balkan

Jun 20, 2008, 4:07:13 PM6/20/08
to Google App Engine
Hi Marzia,

Sorry, I meant to say 2000 -- it's been a long day :)

In my test, was definitely able to send more than 2 emails per minute.
I would say, completely empirically, that my app was able to send
about 30 emails a minute when I was testing it. (I was emailing about
60 speakers).

Thanks,
Aral

On Jun 20, 8:57 pm, Garrett Smith <g...@rrett.us.com> wrote:
> Is the mail API and associated quota available merely to test the functionality at this time? The "two or so emails per minute" throttle, without the ability to queue messages and balance load, seems more of a proof of concept than something typical web apps would use.
>
> If this is a near term limitation, I understand.
>
> Garrett

<snip>