Google Appengine is BROKEN

Nischal Shetty

Jul 22, 2010, 10:55:09 PM7/22/10
to Google App Engine
Please help, I'm facing a major issue due to which users aren't able
to login to my app http://justunfollow.com

It uses twitter oAuth for authentication. There is no problem with the
twitter API and the code has been running from 6 months now. All of a
sudden the https connection with twitter is not being established and
I'm getting exceptions.

It's working in my development environment though. Please look into
this ASAP, my app gets thousands of visitors every hour and its
causing inconvenience to every one of them.

-Nischal

ke...@kanno.com

Jul 22, 2010, 11:17:32 PM7/22/10
to Google App Engine
I have a same problem here too.
My client is waiting to solve this problem so I need your help very
soon.

Thank you so much,
Keiya Kanno

On Jul 23, 11:55 am, nischalshetty <nischalshett...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please help, I'm facing a major issue due to which users aren't able
> to login to my apphttp://justunfollow.com

Shoubhik Bose

Jul 22, 2010, 11:57:35 PM7/22/10
to Google App Engine
Hi Nischal,
its giving error 500

ke...@kanno.com

Jul 23, 2010, 12:02:45 AM7/23/10
to Google App Engine
I think it's because of the problem.
I could see the top page but couldn't login.
That's what we are yelling about

Nischal Shetty

Jul 23, 2010, 1:06:45 AM7/23/10
to Google App Engine
@Shoubhik 500 keeps coming once a while (which is another appengine
issue). But if you refresh, and click the sign in with twitter button,
app engine is just not able to connect to twitter!

I really wonder where the app engine team is. My site's completely
unusable. The most frustrating experience ever!

-Nischal

David Hewitson

Jul 23, 2010, 1:08:41 AM7/23/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I'm beginning to remember some of the benefits of running my own LAMP stack...

Hope they get this fixed soon!

David

Nischal Shetty

Jul 23, 2010, 1:14:37 AM7/23/10
to Google App Engine
@David I'm hoping the same. Well over 10,000 twitter users access my
app every single day. Now everything's gone for a toss. Months of
efforts just seem to be going down the drain. To top it, I feel so
helpless!

-Nischal

On Jul 23, 10:08 am, David Hewitson <thesplatz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm beginning to remember some of the benefits of running my own LAMP
> stack...
>
> Hope they get this fixed soon!
>
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 6:06 AM, nischalshetty <nischalshett...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > @Shoubhik  500 keeps coming once a while (which is another appengine
> > issue). But if you refresh, and click the sign in with twitter button,
> > app engine is just not able to connect to twitter!
>
> > I really wonder where the app engine team is. My site's completely
> > unusable. The most frustrating experience ever!
>
> > -Nischal
>
> > On Jul 23, 9:02 am, "ke...@kanno.com" <ke...@kanno.com> wrote:
> > > I think it's because of the problem.
> > > I could see the top page but couldn't login.
> > > That's what we are yelling about

> > --
> > .

David Hewitson

Jul 23, 2010, 1:16:40 AM7/23/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
@Nischal is it definitely on Google's side? Tried accessing the endpoint with CURL or similar?

David

Nischal Shetty

Jul 23, 2010, 1:29:38 AM7/23/10
to Google App Engine
Yeah, its Google's problem. Checked out a list of twitter apps here -
http://appgallery.appspot.com/results?q=twitter&start=10&num=5 and
none of them seem to be able to connect to twitter :(

I'm baffled to not have received any reply from a single appengine
engineer. I respect them all, they do a lot of work, but hope they
see this and do something about it.

-Nischal

On Jul 23, 10:16 am, David Hewitson <thesplatz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> @Nischal is it definitely on Google's side? Tried accessing the endpoint
> with CURL or similar?

David Hewitson

Jul 23, 2010, 1:33:24 AM7/23/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
That really sucks. Guess it's just a matter of waiting it out.

David

Nischal Shetty

Jul 23, 2010, 1:50:01 AM7/23/10
to Google App Engine
@David yeah, it's helplessness at its worst. It was good having a
conversation with you, helps in times like these.

-Nischal

On Jul 23, 10:33 am, David Hewitson <thesplatz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That really sucks. Guess it's just a matter of waiting it out.

Alon Carmel

Jul 23, 2010, 1:51:28 AM7/23/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Can you give the 500 exception so maybe we can dissect it here? im pretty familiar with the twitter api oauth process... maybe i can help..
Its definitely app engine side because all of my php twitter connect apps work fine.
-
Cheers,

def AlonCarmel(request)
     import simplejson as json
     contact = {}
     contant['email'] = 'a...@aloncarmel.me'
     contact['twitter'] = '@aloncarmel'
     contact['web'] = 'http://aloncarmel.me
     contact['phone'] = '+972-54-4860380'
     return HttpResponse(json.dumps(contact))

* If you received an unsolicited email from by mistake that wasn't of your matter please delete immediately. All E-mail sent from Alon Carmel is copyrighted to Alon Carmel 2008. Any details revealed in e-mails sent by Alon Carmel are owned by the Author only. Any attempt to duplicate or imitate any of the Content is prohibited under copyright law 2008.

Nischal Shetty

Jul 23, 2010, 1:55:39 AM7/23/10
to Google App Engine
Here it is :

justunfollow.action.Login authenticate: Error obtaining redirect URL
twitter4j.TwitterException: Could not fetch URL: https://twitter.com/oauth/request_token
at twitter4j.internal.http.HttpClient.request(HttpClient.java:340)
at
twitter4j.internal.http.HttpClientWrapper.request(HttpClientWrapper.java:
68)
at
twitter4j.internal.http.HttpClientWrapper.post(HttpClientWrapper.java:
99)
at
twitter4j.http.OAuthAuthorization.getOAuthRequestToken(OAuthAuthorization.java:
121)
at twitter4j.Twitter.getOAuthRequestToken(Twitter.java:1406)
at
justunfollow.manager.impl.JustUnfollowManagerImpl.redirectURL(JustUnfollowManagerImpl.java:
60)
at justunfollow.action.Login.authenticate(Login.java:56)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor68.invoke(Unknown Source)
at
com.google.apphosting.runtime.security.shared.intercept.java.lang.reflect.Method_
$1.run(Method_.java:165)
at
com.google.apphosting.runtime.security.shared.intercept.java.lang.reflect.Method_.privilegedInvoke(Method_.java:
163)
at
com.google.apphosting.runtime.security.shared.intercept.java.lang.reflect.Method_.invoke_(Method_.java:
124)
at
com.google.apphosting.runtime.security.shared.intercept.java.lang.reflect.Method_.invoke(Method_.java:
43)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invokeAction(DefaultActionInvocation.java:
404)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invokeActionOnly(DefaultActionInvocation.java:
267)
at
justunfollow.interceptor.ExceptionInterceptor.intercept(ExceptionInterceptor.java:
23)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:224)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:223)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.profiling.UtilTimerStack.profile(UtilTimerStack.java:
455)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:
221)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.DefaultWorkflowInterceptor.doIntercept(DefaultWorkflowInterceptor.java:
221)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(MethodFilterInterceptor.java:
86)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:224)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:223)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.profiling.UtilTimerStack.profile(UtilTimerStack.java:
455)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:
221)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.validator.ValidationInterceptor.doIntercept(ValidationInterceptor.java:
150)
at
org.apache.struts2.interceptor.validation.AnnotationValidationInterceptor.doIntercept(AnnotationValidationInterceptor.java:
48)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(MethodFilterInterceptor.java:
86)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:224)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:223)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.profiling.UtilTimerStack.profile(UtilTimerStack.java:
455)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:
221)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ConversionErrorInterceptor.intercept(ConversionErrorInterceptor.java:
123)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:224)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:223)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.profiling.UtilTimerStack.profile(UtilTimerStack.java:
455)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:
221)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ParametersInterceptor.doIntercept(ParametersInterceptor.java:
184)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(MethodFilterInterceptor.java:
86)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:224)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:223)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.profiling.UtilTimerStack.profile(UtilTimerStack.java:
455)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:
221)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.StaticParametersInterceptor.intercept(StaticParametersInterceptor.java:
105)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:224)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:223)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.profiling.UtilTimerStack.profile(UtilTimerStack.java:
455)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:
221)
at
org.apache.struts2.interceptor.CheckboxInterceptor.intercept(CheckboxInterceptor.java:
83)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:224)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:223)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.profiling.UtilTimerStack.profile(UtilTimerStack.java:
455)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:
221)
at
org.apache.struts2.interceptor.FileUploadInterceptor.intercept(FileUploadInterceptor.java:
207)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:224)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:223)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.profiling.UtilTimerStack.profile(UtilTimerStack.java:
455)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:
221)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ModelDrivenInterceptor.intercept(ModelDrivenInterceptor.java:
74)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:224)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:223)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.profiling.UtilTimerStack.profile(UtilTimerStack.java:
455)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:
221)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ScopedModelDrivenInterceptor.intercept(ScopedModelDrivenInterceptor.java:
127)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:224)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:223)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.profiling.UtilTimerStack.profile(UtilTimerStack.java:
455)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:
221)
at
org.apache.struts2.interceptor.ProfilingActivationInterceptor.intercept(ProfilingActivationInterceptor.java:
107)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:224)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:223)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.profiling.UtilTimerStack.profile(UtilTimerStack.java:
455)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:
221)
at
org.apache.struts2.interceptor.debugging.DebuggingInterceptor.intercept(DebuggingInterceptor.java:
206)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:224)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:223)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.profiling.UtilTimerStack.profile(UtilTimerStack.java:
455)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:
221)
at
com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ChainingInterceptor.intercept(ChainingInterceptor.java:
115)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
$2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:224)
at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocatio

IMO the appengine URLfetch is throwing up.

-Nischal

On Jul 23, 10:51 am, Alon Carmel <a...@aloncarmel.me> wrote:
> Can you give the 500 exception so maybe we can dissect it here? im pretty
> familiar with the twitter api oauth process... maybe i can help..
> Its definitely app engine side because all of my php twitter connect apps
> work fine.
> -
> Cheers,
>
> def AlonCarmel(request)
>      import simplejson as json
>      contact = {}
>      contant['email'] = '...@aloncarmel.me'
>      contact['twitter'] = '@aloncarmel'
>      contact['web'] = 'http://aloncarmel.me'
>      contact['phone'] = '+972-54-4860380'
>      return HttpResponse(json.dumps(contact))
>
> * If you received an unsolicited email from by mistake that wasn't of your
> matter please delete immediately. All E-mail sent from Alon Carmel is
> copyrighted to Alon Carmel 2008. Any details revealed in e-mails sent by
> Alon Carmel are owned by the Author only. Any attempt to duplicate or
> imitate any of the Content is prohibited under copyright law 2008.
>
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 8:33 AM, David Hewitson <thesplatz...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > That really sucks. Guess it's just a matter of waiting it out.

Alon Carmel

Nischal Shetty

Jul 23, 2010, 2:06:00 AM7/23/10
to Google App Engine
It seems to be Google App Engine for now since things are fine with my
development server. But, I'll still do as you say, just in case.

-Nischal

On Jul 23, 11:01 am, Alon Carmel <a...@aloncarmel.me> wrote:
> yeah im getting the same error on my end with my python app on GAE. theres
> seem to be some block on some end, twitter or google. i suggest you also
> write in twitters forum too.
> -
> Cheers,
>
> def AlonCarmel(request)
>      import simplejson as json
>      contact = {}
>      contant['email'] = '...@aloncarmel.me'
>      contact['twitter'] = '@aloncarmel'
>      contact['web'] = 'http://aloncarmel.me'
>      contact['phone'] = '+972-54-4860380'
>      return HttpResponse(json.dumps(contact))
>
> * If you received an unsolicited email from by mistake that wasn't of your
> matter please delete immediately. All E-mail sent from Alon Carmel is
> copyrighted to Alon Carmel 2008. Any details revealed in e-mails sent by
> Alon Carmel are owned by the Author only. Any attempt to duplicate or
> imitate any of the Content is prohibited under copyright law 2008.
>
> > com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ConversionErrorInterceptor.intercept(Co nversionErrorInterceptor.java:
> > 123)
> >        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
> > $2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:224)
> >        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
> > $2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:223)
> >        at
>
> > com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.profiling.UtilTimerStack.profile(UtilTimerStac k.java:
> > 455)
> >        at
>
> > com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocat ion.java:
> > 221)
> >        at
>
> > com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ParametersInterceptor.doIntercept(Param etersInterceptor.java:
> > 184)
> >        at
>
> > com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(Metho dFilterInterceptor.java:
> > 86)
> >        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
> > $2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:224)
> >        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation
> > $2.doProfiling(DefaultActionInvocation.java:223)
> >        at
>
> > com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.profiling.UtilTimerStack.profile(UtilTimerStac k.java:
> > 455)
> >        at
>
> > com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocat ion.java:
> > 221)
> >        at
>
> > com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.StaticParametersInterceptor.intercept(S taticParametersInterceptor.java:
>
> read more »

Alon Carmel

Jul 23, 2010, 2:12:30 AM7/23/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
your development server uses your own ip to call twitter, it might be a problem on either side, IP stack wise.
ill try reaching ikai also. you can find him on twitter @ikai but im afraid its night time at google HQ in the states right now.
-
Cheers,

def AlonCarmel(request)
     import simplejson as json
     contact = {}
     contant['email'] = 'a...@aloncarmel.me'

     contact['twitter'] = '@aloncarmel'
     contact['web'] = 'http://aloncarmel.me
     contact['phone'] = '+972-54-4860380'
     return HttpResponse(json.dumps(contact))

* If you received an unsolicited email from by mistake that wasn't of your matter please delete immediately. All E-mail sent from Alon Carmel is copyrighted to Alon Carmel 2008. Any details revealed in e-mails sent by Alon Carmel are owned by the Author only. Any attempt to duplicate or imitate any of the Content is prohibited under copyright law 2008.

Nischal Shetty

Jul 23, 2010, 2:25:11 AM7/23/10
to Google App Engine
@Alon sent tweets to @ikai

Yeah, the fact that its night time there is giving me nightmares
already. Have an uncanny feeling this things not gonna get over soon
making me lose thousands of new users and offending all my current
users.

-Nischal

On Jul 23, 11:12 am, Alon Carmel <a...@aloncarmel.me> wrote:
> your development server uses your own ip to call twitter, it might be a
> problem on either side, IP stack wise.
> ill try reaching ikai also. you can find him on twitter @ikai but im afraid
> its night time at google HQ in the states right now.
> -
> Cheers,
>
> def AlonCarmel(request)
>      import simplejson as json
>      contact = {}
>      contant['email'] = '...@aloncarmel.me'
>      contact['twitter'] = '@aloncarmel'
>      contact['web'] = 'http://aloncarmel.me'
>      contact['phone'] = '+972-54-4860380'
>      return HttpResponse(json.dumps(contact))
>
> * If you received an unsolicited email from by mistake that wasn't of your
> matter please delete immediately. All E-mail sent from Alon Carmel is
> copyrighted to Alon Carmel 2008. Any details revealed in e-mails sent by
> Alon Carmel are owned by the Author only. Any attempt to duplicate or
> imitate any of the Content is prohibited under copyright law 2008.

> read more »

Tim Hoffman

Jul 23, 2010, 3:06:39 AM7/23/10
to Google App Engine
Hi

I bet you are running into this
http://www.pcworld.com/article/200765/twitter_limits_access_by_thirdparty_apps.html

All appengine apps accessing twitter from appengine will be coming
from a few ip's

You may find twitter is thottling not just userid's but also source
addresses so that people don't set up
multiple api keys to get around throttling.

Just my guess

> read more »

Nischal Shetty

Jul 23, 2010, 3:24:57 AM7/23/10
to Google App Engine
@Tim I hope that's not the case. IMO, twitter must have some special
provision for App Engine. I've posted the issue on the twitter dev
group as well, haven't got any reply yet.

I'm at my lowest now, being able to do nothing other than just pray!

-Nischal

On Jul 23, 12:06 pm, Tim Hoffman <zutes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I bet you are running into thishttp://www.pcworld.com/article/200765/twitter_limits_access_by_thirdp...
>
> read more »

Nischal Shetty

Jul 23, 2010, 10:48:02 AM7/23/10
to Google App Engine
Just to update all of you, the good folks at twitter have seen the
issue thread on the twitter development group and have started to
check if its on their end -
http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_thread/thread/aca4bedd27a6a2b

I hope the Appengine guys see this fast and start investigating as
well. Will update this thread as soon as I hear anything important.
This is the most I can do, I'm completely helpless otherwise.

-Nischal

> read more »

Nischal Shetty

Jul 23, 2010, 12:48:56 PM7/23/10
to Google App Engine
I had a check. I guess it's most probably twitter that is blocking the
appengine from making any calls. In touch with the twitter devs now,
hope they get something done quick.

-Nischal

On Jul 23, 7:48 pm, nischalshetty <nischalshett...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to update all of you, the good folks at twitter have seen the
> issue thread on the twitter development group and have started to
> check if its on their end -http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_thread...
>
> read more »

Nischal Shetty

Jul 23, 2010, 2:38:29 PM7/23/10
to Google App Engine
Things seem to be back to normal now! Yippieee....

I apologize to everyone for writing such a vague and loud topic name
to this thread. But it was early morning, I saw thousands of could not
fetch URL errors in my log, knew it was night in USA and panicked.
Hope you guys understand the situation I was in and let this pass.

A blog post or an update somewhere detailing the cause and fix would
be welcome and help everyone else learn a bit too.

-Nischal