[google-appengine] Prerelease 1.3.4 SDK ready for download

Ikai L (Google)

May 13, 2010, 1:46:37 PM5/13/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hello, App Engine developers!

Just wanted to let everyone know that prerelease 1.3.4 SDK is now available for download. As usual, we're looking for feedback. Please post it in this thread.

The release notes are below:

Java
---------------
Version 1.3.4
=============
- Client side bulkloader available with the Python SDK that has a new
  configuration syntax and wizard for easier import/export with the datastore.
  Can be used by enabling remote_api in your Java application
- Applications can now be configured to authenticate with OpenID by selecting
  the OpenID option when creating your application in the admin console
- New API to allow App Engine apps to act as OAuth service providers
- The version update check in the Java SDK now uses https
- Allow full access to javax.el.*
- Increased the timeout during deployment to 15 minutes
- Fixed an issue with JPA where an illegal cast exception was thrown during the
  fetch of integer fields
- MemcacheService.setNamespace() is deprecated in favor of
  MemcacheServiceFactory.getMemcacheManager(namespace)
- Support in the SDK for Java 1.5 is being deprecated. These warnings now appear
  when starting the SDK

Python
-------------

Version 1.3.4
=================================
- New bulkloader configuration syntax and wizard for easier import/export with
  the datastore.
- Applications can now be configured to authenticate with OpenID by selecting
  the OpenID option when creating your application in the admin console.
- New API to allow App Engine apps to act as OAuth service providers.
- Auto task execution is now enabled in the dev_appserver. To turn this off
  use the flag --disable_task_running.
- Fixed an issue using db.put() with constructor initialized id based keys.

--
Ikai Lan
Developer Relations, Google App Engine

Ikai L (Google)

May 13, 2010, 1:47:38 PM5/13/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I got too excited and forgot to post the link. Forgiveness!

Ross Karchner

May 13, 2010, 2:13:27 PM5/13/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
If we want to switch an existing app from Google accounts to OpenID,
will we have to delete them and remake them?

nickmilon

May 13, 2010, 3:37:04 PM5/13/10
to Google App Engine
Than you guys for new release.

By the way ....

Back in release 1.3.1 " Support for ETags, If-matches, If-not-
matches HTTP Headers, as well as 304 status codes now available on
static files " was announced.
I have seen If-matches, If-not-matches supported via expiration flags
but nothing about Etags for static files.
Am I missing something ?

Regards
Nick Milon

George Moschovitis

May 13, 2010, 5:00:36 PM5/13/10
to Google App Engine
> If we want to switch an existing app from Google accounts to OpenID,
> will we have to delete them and remake them?

Yeah, what happens with existing apps? I would like to switch them to
OpenID.

-g.

Charles Abreu

May 13, 2010, 3:57:23 PM5/13/10
to Google App Engine
Please, I have the same doubt.

Charles Abreu
> For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine?hl=en.

Matthew Blain

May 13, 2010, 6:15:49 PM5/13/10
to Google App Engine
You will be able to switch an application from Google Accounts to
Federated Login (for OpenID) and back again in the Admin Console on
the Applications Settings page.
The setting may be visible now, however it will not work completely
until the release is complete. Please wait until we announce 1.3.4
before using this.

--Matthew

On May 13, 12:57 pm, Charles Abreu <charlesab...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please, I have the same doubt.
>
> Charles Abreu
>
> On May 13, 3:13 pm, Ross M Karchner <rosskarch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > If we want to switch an existing app from Google accounts toOpenID,
> > will we have to delete them and remake them?
>
> > On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Ikai L (Google) <ika...@google.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hello, App Engine developers!
> > > Just wanted to let everyone know that prerelease 1.3.4 SDK is now available
> > > for download. As usual, we're looking for feedback. Please post it in this
> > > thread.
> > > The release notes are below:
> > > Java
> > > ---------------
> > > Version 1.3.4
> > > =============
> > > - Client side bulkloader available with the Python SDK that has a new
> > >   configuration syntax and wizard for easier import/export with the
> > > datastore.
> > >   Can be used by enabling remote_api in your Java application
> > > - Applications can now be configured to authenticate withOpenIDby
> > > selecting
> > >   theOpenIDoption when creating your application in the admin console
> > >   theOpenIDoption when creating your application in the admin console.

Ross Karchner

May 13, 2010, 9:08:17 PM5/13/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Question 2:

Can you provide a preview of what the OpenID login page will look like?

Zarko

May 14, 2010, 5:48:03 AM5/14/10
to Google App Engine
"Auto task execution is now enabled" Great news !!
I used to burn hours on manual clicks...

Keep-up the good work ;)

PK

May 14, 2010, 9:26:44 PM5/14/10
to Google App Engine
One more release that passed my unit tests on first run. I use the
python version. I only had to disable the part of the tests that was
running the tasks automatically by repeatedly pressing the 'Run'
button in the admin server dashboard, which I guess is a good thing...

Thanks!!!

PS Of course I expect to hear about many more features next week :-)
I am dying to hear about this one:
http://code.google.com/events/io/2010/sessions/next-gen-queries-appengine.html

George Moschovitis

May 16, 2010, 1:15:11 PM5/16/10
to Google App Engine
> PS Of course I expect to hear about many more features next week :-)
> I am dying to hear about this one:http://code.google.com/events/io/2010/sessions/next-gen-queries-appen...

yeah, I would expect more from a release just before Google I/O.

-g.

Ross Karchner

May 16, 2010, 11:06:32 PM5/16/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Question 3:

How will "admin" status work on OpenID apps-- will it simply be passed
through transparently when an admin logs in with the
http://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id provider?