OpenID login redirect (/_ah/login_redir?) fails with 500 server errors!

Jan Zawadzki / Hapara

May 22, 2012, 5:03:52 AM5/22/12
to Google App Engine
We're seeing consistent OpenID redirect 500 server failures for
specific Google Apps domains.

OpenID works for other domains just fine, but we're seeing an
increasing number of domains where the redirect just dies.

Fix ETA please?

Jan

Lucian Baciu

May 22, 2012, 1:30:40 PM5/22/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I'm seeing the same issue in my app as well. This is very <inconvenient> as users can no longer log in to the app.

Regards,
Lucian

Jan Zawadzki / Hapara

May 22, 2012, 4:07:49 PM5/22/12
to Google App Engine
So this is getting worse - domains that used to work yesterday are now
getting the 500 error.  It looks like a security change that's getting
rolled out across domains is causing this.

The actual URL that triggers it:

https://teacherdashboard.appspot.com/_ah/login_redir?claimid=www.google.com/accounts/o8/site-xrds?hd=MYDOMAIN&continue=https://teacherdashboard.appspot.com/MYDOMAIN

Btw - the following doesn't work either:

https://teacherdashboard.appspot.com/_ah/login_redir?claimid=www.google.com/accounts/o8/id?hd=MYDOMAIN&continue=https://teacherdashboard.appspot.com/MYDOMAIN

(note /o8/site-xrds vs /o8/id)

This is quite critical as our users cannot login to GAE apps.

Thanks!

Jan

Joshua Smith

May 22, 2012, 4:20:22 PM5/22/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
It's issues like this which lead me to conclude that the whole "let someone else manage your user's identity" is a fundamentally flawed business proposition.

If you are in the business of providing services to your users, relying on an unpaid, non-supporting 3rd party to handle their login credentials is insane.

radomir

May 22, 2012, 4:32:46 PM5/22/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
We have a similar issue using Google account login, not OpenID. It appears whenever you're signed in to Google with multiple accounts. After you selected an account to sign-in with, you get error 500 (and nothing appears in the application logs). If you're signed in to Google using one account only, it works as expected.

I reported this two months ago (and created a production issue) but no fix.

On May 22, 2012, at 4:07 PM, Jan Zawadzki / Hapara wrote:

> So this is getting worse - domains that used to work yesterday are now
> getting the 500 error.  It looks like a security change that's getting
> rolled out across domains is causing this.
>
> The actual URL that triggers it:
>
> https://teacherdashboard.appspot.com/_ah/login_redir?claimid=www.google.com/accounts/o8/site-xrds?hd=MYDOMAIN&continue=https://teacherdashboard.appspot.com/MYDOMAIN
>
> Btw - the following doesn't work either:
>
> https://teacherdashboard.appspot.com/_ah/login_redir?claimid=www.google.com/accounts/o8/id?hd=MYDOMAIN&continue=https://teacherdashboard.appspot.com/MYDOMAIN
>
> (note /o8/site-xrds vs /o8/id)
>
> This is quite critical as our users cannot login to GAE apps.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jan

Jeff Tone

May 22, 2012, 6:31:31 PM5/22/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Same problem here.  500 Errors at login now for  http://db.XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.com/_ah/login_redir?claimid=www.google.com/accounts/o8/id&continue=http://db.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.com/

It work 10 minutes ago for a moment but I tried to log out and back in and it immediately broke.

Jeff Tone

May 22, 2012, 6:37:15 PM5/22/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I tried wiping out multiple logins but this did not fix the problem even with the single Google login.

Jeff Tone

May 22, 2012, 7:10:25 PM5/22/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Is there anyway to access the app without going through the google login?  Our developer is on the case in 6 hours but is there anyway to use the app untill then?

Yudong Li

May 22, 2012, 7:27:50 PM5/22/12
to Google App Engine
Would like to know if there is any workaround too.
No one can login any more since this morning.

On May 23, 9:10 am, Jeff Tone

Yudong Li

May 22, 2012, 7:43:23 PM5/22/12
to Google App Engine
After clear all the cache from my browser,
and reload the login page a couple of times,
login is ok now...

Jeff Tone

May 22, 2012, 9:36:39 PM5/22/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Its intermittent.  Our employees cant get in again unfortunately.

James Broberg

May 22, 2012, 9:46:03 PM5/22/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Jeff,

Did you try as a minimum clearing all cookies relating to your app
(eg... xxx.appspot.com or whatever your custom domain happens to be),
or for the nuclear approach, clearing your entire browser cache?

Doing the above seems to have resolved it for us.

-James

Rajkumar Radhakrishnan

May 23, 2012, 12:08:54 AM5/23/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have filed a production issue here, where you can..
  • star the issue --and--
  • add your Application ID in the comments
to notify Google staff and to help identify and fix the issue..
Raj
Build online database applications, over Google App Engine.
iFreeTools Creator - http://creator.ifreetools.com

James Broberg

May 23, 2012, 12:18:39 AM5/23/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Thanks - I spoke too soon. This issue is back for us and no amount of
cache clearing will fix it.

Joshua Smith

May 23, 2012, 9:25:27 AM5/23/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Another desperate measure to try: Use an incognito window in Chrome.

Dao Linh Viet

May 23, 2012, 11:48:23 AM5/23/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

Dao Linh Viet

May 23, 2012, 11:49:01 AM5/23/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

Dao Linh Viet

May 23, 2012, 11:50:03 AM5/23/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

Vinay

May 23, 2012, 11:54:37 AM5/23/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
We are using the  Federated Login feature of GAE and also experiencing this issue. I logged into the GAE control panel > Application Settings. I toggled both of "Cookie Settings" and "Authentication Options" to a different value, hit save, waited a minute, and toggled them back. Some of our users are reporting the ability to log in again. We need more data points, but we thought we'd put it out there for the rest of you in the meanwhile.

Vinay, Dito

Vinay

May 24, 2012, 10:00:58 AM5/24/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
for what it's worth, my suggestion did not fully resolve the problem...just a fluke I guess.

James Foster

Jun 3, 2013, 9:23:39 PM6/3/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Is this currently happening again?

Akitoshi Abe

Jun 4, 2013, 12:26:29 AM6/4/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

It seems happening again.
Sometimes I saw this error recently.

Akitoshi Abe

Henrique Casagrande Bravin

Nov 10, 2014, 1:37:13 PM11/10/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Olá. Meu nome é Henrique e estou com um projeto na faculdade em desenvolvimento Python no GAE. Porém estou enfrentando um problema crítico que a dias não consigo resolver e gostaria da opinião de vocês se possível.

Usando o código na documentação do GAE sobre OpenID eu implantei o mesmo no meu código, porém ao invés de tê-lo diretamente no arquivo principal criei em um arquivo separado e chamei-o via import nos arquivos principais.

No SDK funciona bem sem nenhum erro. Más quando coloco para rodar online e clico em fazer login com qualquer serviço OpenID e o aplicativo redireciona para a página /_ah/ o servidor me retorna um erro 500.

Vocês saberiam me dizer qual poderia vir a ser o problema e se já enfrentaram algo parecido pois não existem nada nos Logs do aplicativo.