Announcing the Google App Engine Helper for Django

Matt Brown

Apr 11, 2008, 7:06:00 PM4/11/08
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

I'm pleased to announce that today we are making available a helper that
eases the process of developing a Django project to run on the Google
App Engine.

The helper will initially provide you with:

* The ability to use most manage.py commands.
* A BaseModel class that appears the same as the standard Django
Model class to much of Django.
* The ability to serialize and deserialize model instances to JSON,
YAML and XML.
* Access to Django's test framework with a test datastore and
support for fixtures.

The version of the helper that we're releasing today is a preview or
alpha release. It's functional and you are more than welcome to start
using it in your projects but we are well aware that there are still
many more improvements that could be made.

With that in mind, the helper is being released under the Apache 2.0
license and we look forward to seeing some of the useful snippets of
code that have already been posted to this list integrated into the
helper in the future.

You can download the helper from
http://code.google.com/p/google-app-engine-django. Issues and Feature
Requests should be added to the tracker within that project.

Good Luck and Happy Hacking!

The Google App Engine Team.

This conversation is locked