Why are my requests taking > 1 second all of a sudden?

thecheatah

Feb 29, 2012, 11:35:31 AM2/29/12
to Google App Engine
I have a simple page that reads one row and updates it. Over the past
few YEARS, it has taken < 100ms to process these requests.

All of a sudden the latency has increased to 1000ms. This has
increased my cost by a considerable amount. I know I am using M/S
setup and I don't get concurrency because it is only available for HR
storage (What's the technical reason for that?). I don't want to
upgrade to HR because I don't need it and I do not trust the migration
process.

Can someone please look into this.

Jeff Schnitzer

Feb 29, 2012, 12:06:59 PM2/29/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
It's the end of the financial quarter and GAE needed to make revenue targets ;-)

Jeff

Ted Roden

Feb 29, 2012, 12:21:19 PM2/29/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
We're having a lot of issues today. We're getting a lot of 500s "Request was aborted after waiting too long to attempt to service your request." We normally have no problem serving these requests. I'm thinking there is a Datastore slowness issue? (Perhaps related to yesterday)

Brandon Wirtz

Feb 29, 2012, 12:42:25 PM2/29/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

You do need it because MS has wild performance issues. Like the ones you describe.

Kaan Soral

AggieBradley

Feb 29, 2012, 3:49:42 PM2/29/12
to Google App Engine
Are you still seeing this issue? I have an app that has been running
happily for months and then yesterday it started having much the same
problem you describe. Then, magically about 3 hours ago it returned
to normal performance.

Sean Kovacs

Feb 29, 2012, 9:33:09 PM2/29/12
to Google App Engine
GAE is soo unpredictable...you have an app that costs $.10/day then
spike to $1+ for no reason other than issues with GAE and we foot the
bill. Thanks.

Sanjay Menakuru

Mar 1, 2012, 4:16:49 AM3/1/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com