Protocol Buffers with Appengine

vijay garg

Apr 21, 2009, 1:59:21 AM4/21/09
to google-app...@googlegroups.com, google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
I am working on a website(using GWT and appengine)  where I need to save some data to app engine datastore using JDO, for this as mentioned in tutorials I need to write a persistent class, I would like to know if I can use proto buff and Is there a way to make it persistent, I guess that will save me lot of time and code. Any suggestions??

Nick Johnson (Google)

Apr 21, 2009, 8:11:23 AM4/21/09
to Google App Engine
Hi Vijay,

You certainly can use Protocol Buffers to persist your data. Unless
you have a well-defined need for the features of Protocol Buffers,
though, you probably just want to use JDO directly, since that allows
your data to be indexed, as opposed to treated as an opaque blob. The
documentation on how to use JDO with App Engine is here:
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/datastore/usingjdo.html

-Nick Johnson

On Apr 21, 6:59 am, vijay <mymail.vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,I am working on a website(using GWT and appengine) where I need to
> save some data to app engine datastore using JDO, for this as mentioned in
> tutorials<http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/gettingstarted/usingdatast...>I
> need to write a persistent class, I would like to know if I can use
> proto
> buff <http://code.google.com/apis/protocolbuffers/docs/overview.html> and Is

vijay garg

Apr 23, 2009, 2:08:54 AM4/23/09
to google-a...@googlegroups.com, nick.j...@google.com
HI Nick,
Thanks for responding.
I want to use protocol buffer because it have autogenerated methods and are  serializable which i am doing by defining a data class for persistance storage. But I could not find any example where Protocol buffer are used for this purpose and could n't think of any obvious reason.
Can you point me to some documentation or example related to it.
Also I am not sure why cant we use index for protocal buffers.