django ORM - feature request

Mat

Apr 8, 2008, 8:22:39 AM4/8/08
to Google App Engine
Is there any chance of getting the django model system up and running,
as the majority of the power of django is locked up until the ORM is
extended to use appengine?

I appreciate that joins cannot be used, but if the google team could
extend support in the django ORM to include bigtable, this would be a
huge benefit to both appengine and django, as the majority of the
django stack could now operate. And us django users could more easily
port our existing code onto the appengine framework.

Just my 2c for the next feature.

Well done on the release :) Looks awesome, can't wait to get an
account, if the 10k havn't gone already.

Mat

Jarek Zgoda

Apr 8, 2008, 9:11:46 AM4/8/08
to Google App Engine
Don't think so, as the storage backend is not an SQL database. The
best we could do is to drop some work on Django backend extension.

Brandon Smith

Apr 8, 2008, 9:41:28 AM4/8/08
to Google App Engine
In order to make certain guarantees about the hosted platform, not all
Python libraries can be used wholesale. Working to evolve Django seems
the best solution. Again, because of BigTable assumptions (good ones,
by the way) about data models not all functionality will map over
Django's relational-influenced API.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that Django's core team was aware
of App Engine well before we all were. If not, the blessing of Google
in initial documentation is a huge incentive to get Django more App
Engine ready before other Python frameworks start popping up and
stealing the thunder.

Brandon

Mat

Apr 8, 2008, 9:52:54 AM4/8/08
to Google App Engine
Lets hope, discussing this on the django group now as well, certainly
django seems well supported by appengine, just a shame they didn't
release full support :). Lets hope this creates a surge in django
development and gives it a boost towards its 1.0 status.

Mat