Removing warning messages when starting up server

sotirac

Aug 14, 2008, 3:26:29 AM8/14/08
to Google App Engine
How do I go about removing the warning messages "WARNING:root:Could
not read datastore data from /tmp/django_google-app-engine-
django.datastore"? I tried creating the files using the touch command
(touch tmp/django_google-app-engine-django.datastore) and that gave
more errors than before.

1. Grab the latest copy of "google-app-engine-django" from subversion
(svn co http://google-app-engine-django.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/)

2. Invoked the command "python manage.py runserver"

The output that I get is:

python manage.py runserver
WARNING:root:Could not read datastore data from /tmp/django_google-app-
engine-django.datastore
WARNING:root:Could not read datastore data from /tmp/django_google-app-
engine-django.datastore.history
WARNING:root:Could not initialize images API; you are likely missing
the Python "PIL" module. ImportError: No module named PIL
INFO:root:Server: appengine.google.com
INFO:root:Checking for updates to the SDK.
INFO:root:The SDK is up to date.
WARNING:root:Could not read datastore data from /tmp/django_google-app-
engine-django.datastore
WARNING:root:Could not read datastore data from /tmp/django_google-app-
engine-django.datastore.history
WARNING:root:Could not initialize images API; you are likely missing
the Python "PIL" module. ImportError: No module named PIL
INFO:root:Running application google-app-engine-django on port 8000:
http://localhost:8000

Ian Lewis

Aug 14, 2008, 6:11:51 AM8/14/08
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
sotirac,

These warning messages are probably not a big deal unless you are going to use the gae image manipulation API.  You can at least get rid of these messages talking about PIL by installing the python imaging library.

See the help on installing PIL on the gae website: http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/images/installingPIL.html

Ian

Josh

Sep 20, 2008, 6:05:13 PM9/20/08
to Google App Engine
Hi sotirac,

I saw the same problem as you.
I fixed the "No module named PIL" by installing PIL (sudo apt-get
install python-imaging).
And then the datastore warnings go away as soon as you've stored
something to the local datastore.

This happens once you start doing things with you app.

So don't worry about the warning, it'll go away once you've saved
something.

Cheers,
Josh