Image processing

Constantinos

Apr 8, 2008, 7:04:41 PM4/8/08
to Google App Engine
What are our options when it comes to image processing in Python? From
what I've seen there's no default module to do that, and including
external modules (such as PIL) has issues... Mainly PIL requres a
compiled class to be part of the module (_images.so), but how can we
build this class for the app engine architecture?

Ycros

Apr 8, 2008, 8:16:06 PM4/8/08
to Google App Engine
Yeah, I agree with this. Something PIL is a necessity, as uploading
and then resizing/cropping images is a very common usecase. I think
either someone just has to spend some time tightening up the native
parts of PIL, or perhaps we can find a pure python imaging module (but
what are the performance implications of that?).

Patrick Crosby

Apr 9, 2008, 10:10:32 AM4/9/08
to Google App Engine
I agree as well...any image resizer in pure python is going to be
slow. This is such a common task that it would be nice/essential to
have access to a library to resize/crop images.

On Apr 8, 8:16 pm, Ycros <waikur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 9, 9:04 am, Constantinos <c.neophy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What are our options when it comes toimageprocessing in Python? From

jf

Apr 9, 2008, 10:58:16 AM4/9/08
to Google App Engine
an API into Picasa could handle that

kpw...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2008, 2:26:59 PM4/9/08
to Google App Engine
I agree - having PIL availalbe (with the ImageFile/ImageFileIO modules
disabled, of course ) is critical for a lot of applications...

kpw

David_V

Apr 9, 2008, 4:41:50 PM4/9/08
to Google App Engine
I too just ran into this wall. Finding out that an image manipulation
library such as PIL wasn't support has shut down the project I was
trying to get going with App Engine.

On Apr 8, 7:04 pm, Constantinos <c.neophy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What are our options when it comes toimageprocessing in Python? From

whit537

Apr 10, 2008, 11:16:25 AM4/10/08
to Google App Engine
+1 for PIL. I was going to port gheat:

http://code.google.com/p/gheat/

It was going to be so awesome, too.

On Apr 8, 7:04 pm, Constantinos <c.neophy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What are our options when it comes to image processing in Python? From
> what I've seen there's no default module to do that, and including
> external modules (such asPIL) has issues... MainlyPILrequres a

jelle

Apr 11, 2008, 4:15:20 AM4/11/08
to Google App Engine
+1, PIL support is critical

canopus

Apr 14, 2008, 6:43:03 AM4/14/08
to Google App Engine

On Apr 11, 10:15 am, jelle <jelleferi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1,PILsupport is critical

Yes, PIL (or any powerfull alternative) is a must.

Michael R. Bernstein

Apr 14, 2008, 9:37:23 AM4/14/08
to Google App Engine
We can't. Google will hopefully compile a version of PIL for appengine
if enough folks ask for it.

Add your support for this issue here:

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=38

Please do *not* add yet another '+1' comment, these are useless. Just
*star* the comment. This issue only has 134 stars right now.

- Michael

barryhunter

Apr 14, 2008, 10:13:38 AM4/14/08
to Google App Engine
Not a real answer, but you could host your images on googlepages.com

http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2007-01-04-n19.html

:)