images.Transform() was too large

Daniel Figueira

Aug 6, 2008, 9:12:15 PM8/6/08
to Google App Engine
I'm trying to upload a 2.4 Mbytes jpeg image to my application and
have it create a thumbnail basically using the following code:
foto.thumbnail = images.resize(foto.fullsize, 160, 120)

This works on the local dev environment, but not online after I upload
my application to appengine. Below is the traceback. Any ideas on how
I can get this to work? I don't see this limitation mentioned in the
docs.

Thank you,
Daniel

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/ext/webapp/
__init__.py", line 501, in __call__
handler.post(*groups)
File "/base/data/home/apps/desafiops/1.8/desafiops.py", line 84, in
post
foto.thumbnail = images.resize(foto.fullsize, 160, 120)
File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/images/
__init__.py", line 360, in resize
return image.execute_transforms(output_encoding=output_encoding)
File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/images/
__init__.py", line 312, in execute_transforms
response)
File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/
apiproxy_stub_map.py", line 46, in MakeSyncCall
stub.MakeSyncCall(service, call, request, response)
File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/runtime/
apiproxy.py", line 246, in MakeSyncCall
rpc.CheckSuccess()
File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/runtime/
apiproxy.py", line 189, in CheckSuccess
raise self.exception
RequestTooLargeError: The request to API call images.Transform() was
too large.

Daniel O'Brien

Aug 7, 2008, 2:11:07 PM8/7/08
to Google App Engine
Currently we have a 1MB request limit, which likely explains the error
you're seeing. At the moment the only workaround is to restrict the
size of images accepted by your application.

Daniel