Google Developers Day -> Java App Engine. Time line? Hype?

pr3d4t0r

Oct 19, 2008, 3:03:03 PM10/19/08
to Google App Engine
Greetings.

According to this blogger:
http://www.controlenter.in/2008/10/java-support-to-appengine-to-counter-microsofts-cloud-initiatives-microsoft-strata/

App Engine will introduce Java support soon. Are these announcements
by Google's Prasad Ram true? Is there additional information
available somewhere? The only substantive announcement regarding App
Engine that I could find recently was the support for HTTPS.

Google crew... what's the scoop? Can you guys talk about it yet? Is
this only hype?

Thanks and cheers,

pr3d4t0r
http://istheserverup.com
http://teslatestament.com

James

Oct 20, 2008, 8:21:26 AM10/20/08
to Google App Engine
I read that too along with this post on the same site :
http://www.controlenter.in/2008/10/google-developer-day-bangalore-google-app-engine-to-support-java-android-sdk-release-on-oct-22/

Will we find out more along with the release of the Android SDK?

Looking forward to finding out more!
James

On Oct 19, 8:03 pm, pr3d4t0r <ciur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> According to this blogger:http://www.controlenter.in/2008/10/java-support-to-appengine-to-count...

Paul

Oct 20, 2008, 3:26:13 PM10/20/08
to Google App Engine
There has been recent discussion in the blogosphere about the
potential support of Java in App Engine. While we don't have any
immediate plans or announcements, we are working on other languages
for App Engine. Security and performance are our primary concerns with
any new language runtime and getting it right takes time. We don't
have any dates for you today but be assured that you will be the first
to know when we have a release date for a new language for App
Engine.

Thank you for all your support, we are encouraged by the excitement
and interest we see in this discussion.

Paul McDonald - App Engine Product Manager

On Oct 20, 5:21 am, James <james.sug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I read that too along with this post on the same site :http://www.controlenter.in/2008/10/google-developer-day-bangalore-goo...

Raffaele Castagno

Oct 21, 2008, 6:02:30 AM10/21/08
to Google App Engine
On Oct 20, 9:26 pm, Paul <Paul.McDon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There has been recent discussion in the blogosphere about the
> potential support of Java in App Engine. While we don't have any
> immediate plans or announcements, we are working on other languages
> for App Engine. Security and performance are our primary concerns with
> any new language runtime and getting it right takes time. We don't
> have any dates for you today but be assured that you will be the first
> to know when we have a release date for a new language for App
> Engine.

That's great! Can't wait to see GAE4J!

Raffaele C.

kv

Oct 21, 2008, 3:04:52 PM10/21/08
to Google App Engine

On Oct 21, 1:02 pm, Raffaele Castagno <raffaele.casta...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Oct 20, 9:26 pm, Paul <Paul.McDon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That's great! Can't wait to see GAE4J!

Given amount of work required, it will be more like J4GAE :)

--
kv

pr3d4t0r

Oct 22, 2008, 12:19:45 AM10/22/08
to Google App Engine
On Oct 20, 12:26 pm, Paul <Paul.McDon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There has been recent discussion in the blogosphere about the
> potential support of Java in App Engine. While we don't have any
> immediate plans or announcements, we are working on other languages
> for App Engine. Security and performance are our primary concerns with
> any new language runtime and getting it right takes time. We don't
> have any dates for you today but be assured that you will be the first
> to know when we have a release date for a new language for App
> Engine.
>
> Thank you for all your support, we are encouraged by the excitement
> and interest we see in this discussion.

Thanks for the clarification, Paul!

We all look forward to new App Engine releases that support other
languages.

Cheers,

pr3d4t0r
http://www.istheserverup.net
http://www.teslatestament.com

Raffaele Castagno

Oct 22, 2008, 4:51:23 AM10/22/08
to Google App Engine
On 21 Ott, 21:04, kv <kveretenni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Given amount of work required, it will be more like J4GAE :)

I hope it will not be too alien from standard Java, and that useful
existing libraries will work on the platform with not too much pain.
Anyway, I believe that fundamental libraries will be ported readily to
the GAE platform.

I really hope that Groovy at least, and Grails maybe, will find their
way on GAE, because lack of availability of free/cheap web host is a
major drawback for widespread usage of those language/framework.

Anyways, even a sort-of-java would be really, really appreciated.

Cheers

Raffaele

kls

Oct 22, 2008, 7:30:55 AM10/22/08
to Google App Engine
so WHEN? approximate

Andrew Badera

Oct 22, 2008, 11:47:04 AM10/22/08
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

Raffaele Castagno

Nov 7, 2008, 6:37:30 AM11/7/08
to Google App Engine

On 22 Ott, 16:47, "Andrew Badera" <and...@badera.us> wrote:
> Probably right after Microsoft makes a major cloud announcement.

So you mean _right now_?

http://www.microsoft.com/azure/windowsazure.mspx

^_^

Raffaele

Andrew Badera

Nov 7, 2008, 8:14:24 AM11/7/08
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
No, I think I mean last week, when Azure was announced at PDC, when it was still October.

Raffaele Castagno

Nov 7, 2008, 8:25:21 AM11/7/08
to Google App Engine
On 7 Nov, 14:14, "Andrew Badera" <and...@badera.us> wrote:
> No, I think I mean last week, when Azure was announced at PDC, when it was
> still October.

Let's hope this "one week ago" will came soon :)

Raffaele