Any Suggestion for Python Editor?

jebberwocky

Apr 17, 2008, 6:39:00 AM4/17/08
to Google App Engine
Hello all

I just start playing around the Google App Engine SDK. Is there Python
editor recommended?

TIA

Peter Svensson

Apr 17, 2008, 6:43:05 AM4/17/08
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I use Eclipse with pydev;

http://pydev.sourceforge.net/download.html

And it works fine.

Cheers,
PS

jebberwocky

Apr 17, 2008, 6:44:41 AM4/17/08
to Google App Engine
Kool

I try it once. Is there any choice to work it with Google App Engine
SDK?

On Apr 17, 6:43 pm, "Peter Svensson" <psvens...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use Eclipse with pydev;
>
> http://pydev.sourceforge.net/download.html
>
> And it works fine.
>
> Cheers,
> PS

Peter Svensson

Apr 17, 2008, 6:49:48 AM4/17/08
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
There are no extension for anything., but then again, there's not much to do - from that point of view.
My advice is to copy the new project template directory, rename it to something else and then create a pydev project which resides in that directory.
When you push your changes up to GAE, you still have to run the script from the command-line, but that's *really* simple.

Cheers,
PS

jebberwocky

Apr 17, 2008, 7:01:43 AM4/17/08
to Google App Engine
Haha !

Thanks tho! I will try

On Apr 17, 6:49 pm, "Peter Svensson" <psvens...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are no extension for anything., but then again, there's not much to do
> - from that point of view.
> My advice is to copy the new project template directory, rename it to
> something else and then create a pydev project which resides in that
> directory.
> When you push your changes up to GAE, you still have to run the script from
> the command-line, but that's *really* simple.
>
> Cheers,
> PS

jebberwocky

Apr 17, 2008, 7:25:38 AM4/17/08
to Google App Engine
Is there any way to include the library into PyDev to get the auto-
complete?

On Apr 17, 6:49 pm, "Peter Svensson" <psvens...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are no extension for anything., but then again, there's not much to do
> - from that point of view.
> My advice is to copy the new project template directory, rename it to
> something else and then create a pydev project which resides in that
> directory.
> When you push your changes up to GAE, you still have to run the script from
> the command-line, but that's *really* simple.
>
> Cheers,
> PS

Arik Fraimovich

Apr 17, 2008, 7:35:36 AM4/17/08
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Here's a good tutorial on setting up PyDev to use with GAE SDK:
http://daily.profeth.de/2008/04/google-app-engine-eclipse-pydev.html
--
Arik Fraimovich
ar...@arikfr.com

Aprigio Vasconcelos

Apr 17, 2008, 9:27:01 AM4/17/08
to Google App Engine
I've been using TextMate. Its really simple and lightweight, but I
didn't find a way to put appengine lib in its path to use
autocompletion.
Anyone?

Florian Herlings

Apr 17, 2008, 9:35:56 AM4/17/08
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
If you are on Windows, you may try PyScripter.

It has syntax highlighting, code completion and a classes overview while
being much faster than Eclipse plus the PyDev-Plugin. It seems to be a
good choice and I am using it myself.

You can find the product's page there:
<http://mmm-experts.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=4> (the website looks
quite.. 1995 though).

F Herlings

jebberwocky

Apr 17, 2008, 9:57:11 AM4/17/08
to Google App Engine
wow nice. but how do I include google lib in PyScripter?

On 4月17日, 上午6时35分, Florian Herlings <florian.herli...@googlemail.com>

rolfst

Apr 17, 2008, 12:22:39 PM4/17/08
to Google App Engine
Hi I am using spe
http://pythonide.blogspot.com/

this is a pure and free python ide

tj9991

Apr 17, 2008, 2:15:39 PM4/17/08
to Google App Engine
What's wrong with the built-in python editor? I've used it ever since
I began, and it has everything I need.

A multi-purpose editor which supports python is PSPad ( http://www.pspad.com/
), which I've used for a few other languages.

Jared

Apr 17, 2008, 2:38:01 PM4/17/08
to Google App Engine
vim?

manatlan

Apr 17, 2008, 3:35:34 PM4/17/08
to Google App Engine
Nobody talks about komodo ?!?

komodo is now GPL, and very specialized in dynamic languages
editing ....

with lots lots of features : far more customisable/speed than eclipse,
syntax highlighting, auto-comptetion (with tooltip (javascript/html/
css/python)), integrated browser (gecko which is a great addition for
web dev), macros (python support), snippets/templates, project
manager ... and a lot of extensions (like firefox)

http://www.openkomodo.com/ ... it's the firefox of the web dev ...
very perfect for python

Roberto Saccon

Apr 17, 2008, 3:55:07 PM4/17/08
to Google App Engine
There is no such thing as a "recommended" editor, nor for Python, nor
for any other language (except in highly proprietary systems where the
language vendor also sells the IDE).

If you don't mind the STEEP learning curve, emacs will make you the
most efficient code writer in any language.

If you are on a Mac and wanna have an easy to use editor with Mac look-
and-feel and decent Python support, try textmate

If you are happy with eclipse for all your other work (and don't mind
its large memory footprint and ugly look-and-feel on Mac), there are
Python eclipse plugins.

One important point to consider is whether you want to be locked into
one platform (e.g. Textmate is only for Mac) or you want a cross-
platform available editor (e.g.: eclipse, vim, emcacs, Activestate
Komodo)

and if you start from scratch, you should try out all the options
mentioned in this thread to find out which one you feel most
comfortable with and which matches most your style of code
development.

regards
--
Roberto Saccon
http://rsaccon.com

redsox2005

Apr 17, 2008, 4:03:38 PM4/17/08
to Google App Engine
I've been using DrPython for a few days. I've liked it. Simple, easy
to use. Tabbed documents. Quick preference customizations.

http://drpython.sourceforge.net

Adam Crossland

Apr 17, 2008, 4:04:51 PM4/17/08
to Google App Engine
I have been using Komodo Edit since I started working with AppEngine,
and I have found it to be a very productive tool for me. It does a
pretty decent job of autocompleting python and it's html/Django
support is quite nice.

stevegio

Apr 17, 2008, 6:10:47 PM4/17/08
to Google App Engine
Aquamacs comes with the default emacs python mode. Works great for me.

gio

Jeremey Barrett

Apr 17, 2008, 6:17:26 PM4/17/08
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
On the Mac, TextMate is hard to beat. I'm a long-time Emacs user,
but I'm a TextMate convert for everything but C.

Jeremey.

Aprigio Vasconcelos

Apr 17, 2008, 6:31:26 PM4/17/08
to Google App Engine
Jeremey,

Im a new Mac user, and I got TextMate installed. How can i do to get
code completion working fine? And how can i include app_engine lib on
my project's path?

benchline

Apr 18, 2008, 12:05:56 AM4/18/08
to Google App Engine
If you know and like Vim it works great for python too... including
code completion, syntax highlighting, etc.

Steve

Apr 18, 2008, 2:52:01 AM4/18/08
to Google App Engine
gedit may be good one of choices.

Cary Palmer

Apr 18, 2008, 1:06:08 PM4/18/08
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone used Wing IDE with google app engine?

Jeremey Barrett

Apr 18, 2008, 1:31:04 PM4/18/08
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Aprigio Vasconcelos <apr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jeremey,
>
> Im a new Mac user, and I got TextMate installed. How can i do to get
> code completion working fine? And how can i include app_engine lib on
> my project's path?

TextMate is pretty much just an editor, so I'm not quite sure
what you mean by including appengine in your path... are you
wanting to view the source in TextMate? If not, then running
dev_appserver.py on your appengine project is all you need.

I tend to use TextMate in combo with a terminal... I move to folders
I want to work in in the terminal and run "mate ." from the terminal.
That will open TextMate with the current folder.

As for code completion, you type the keyword and hit Tab... so the
trick is then to learn the keywords. The easiest thing to do (for me)
is to click on the action menu at the bottom of the editor (little circle-ish
icon between the language menu and the tab size), choose Python,
and look at all the options there, each one is listed with its keyboard
shortcut or keyword (keywords are typed and then you hit Tab).

So for example, typing "classTAB" (that's c-l-a-s-s-TAB) will get
you a basic class definition.

Hope that helps,
Jeremey.

Jorge Vargas