DataStore Latency affecting SEO?

David Burns

Jun 10, 2010, 4:59:35 AM6/10/10
to Google App Engine
Hi,

I was just wondering how the ongoing DataStore issue is going to
affect page rank since PageRank is going to be affected by the sites
speed.

I put as much as possible into memcache for my site but my site's
speed has dropped from being faster than 70% of sites to being faster
than 50% of sites according to Google Webmaster Tools.

There is a few little tricks that I can do client side but don't think
I can optimize my backend code anymore since its a simple get data and
display.

David

Flips

Jun 10, 2010, 5:45:28 AM6/10/10
to Google App Engine
Pagerank is *not* affected by site speed.

Google serps are generated under consideration of more than 200
factors and one of them is pagerank and another one is site speed.
Matt Cutts said that site speed has a tiny weight for the serps and
you rankings will only drop if your site is *really* slow. It does not
matter if your competitors site will be returned and rendered within
100ms and yours need 200ms. But back to topic, if a request for your
site needs more than a second, which is quite likely regarding to the
datastore issues, than your rankings might drop a little bit. But it
could also happen nothing too because google detects that your site
runs on their service (you cannot edit crawl rate in the webmaster
tools).

It would be great if we can get some clarification if there are other
effects for the Google-Search except the missing availability to edit
the crawl rate (which is quite idiotic, because it is no normal google
service: I am the person who is paying for each request and not
google.)

Best Regards
Philip

On 10 Jun., 10:59, David Burns <theautomatedtes...@googlemail.com>

nickmilon

Jun 10, 2010, 5:15:02 PM6/10/10
to Google App Engine
" But it could also happen nothing too because google detects that
your site
runs on their service "

This can't really happen, for reasons described here :
http://gaengine.blogspot.com/2010/06/datastore-latency.html

happy coding:-)