App Engine servers API trusted testers

Ikai Lan (Google)

Feb 24, 2011, 6:10:51 PM2/24/11
to Google App Engine
Hey everyone,

We're looking for folks who might be interested in this feature on our roadmap (http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/roadmap.html):

  • Background servers capable of running for longer than 30s

I'll try to provide some background on this feature, but I won't be able to provide many details past it as there are parts which are still changing. Basically, servers allow you to mark certain portions of your application as being long-lived. These portions of your application will co-reside with the dynamic instances and will be accessible. A good use case, for instance, would be if you were building a game world and needed a server that took care of constant state changes in memory that was more reliable and custom to your needs than memcache.

If you're interested in signing up for this feature, please fill out this form here:

Unfortunately, I can't provide too many details beyond what I've already talked about here, so the best way to see if your use case is a fit is to describe it in that form for us to consider. I'll revisit the list again next week and start emailing developers I think might be a fit. We're looking for developers that are a little bit more courageous and willing to not only learn some new APIs, but also implement them in at least a staging environment and give us feedback.

As with all trusted tester programs, documentation and sample code are works in progress, so you'll have to be prepared for a potentially large number of changes, but sometimes it's a really cool thing to get access to the next big App Engine feature.

Again, I won't be able to answer too many questions here on the groups (one question you'll see on the form is whether or not you can sign an NDA), so the best thing to do if this sounds even remotely like something that might be useful is to apply and describe what you would use this feature for in your application.

Cheers,

--
Ikai Lan

Raymond C.

Feb 24, 2011, 7:30:16 PM2/24/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Report not abuse
This sounds great!!!!!!!

Jay Young

Feb 24, 2011, 10:23:02 PM2/24/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Report not abuse
Man, I wish there was a "look but don't touch and keep your mouth shut" option.  I couldn't offer useful testing or feedback, but I'd sign an NDA for a sneak peek.  Just sayin'.

You guys never cease to impress.
Message has been deleted

Anton Novopashin

Mar 2, 2011, 12:28:22 AM3/2/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Sound great. It's really cool.
 I really would like to help app engine team.

Ikai Lan (Google)

Mar 3, 2011, 5:56:49 PM3/3/11
to Google App Engine
Thanks to everyone that signed up. I've begun sending out legal documents to the first group of candidates. I'll be whitelisting applications sometime next week.

Ikai Lan
On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 9:28 PM, Anton Novopashin <anton...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sound great. It's really cool.
 I really would like to help app engine team.

Raymond C.

Mar 3, 2011, 10:41:17 PM3/3/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ikai!  Looking forward!