Update from the team on the recent application latency issues

App Engine Downtime Notify

Sep 28, 2010, 10:29:56 PM9/28/10
to Google App Engine Downtime Notify
Over the past two weeks, the App Engine service have suffered from
increased latency in the Application servers and Datastore. The
visible result of this has been sharp increases in the rate of server
errors and request timeouts across all App Engine applications. The
severity of this varies depending on the profile of each application,
but we recognize that all developers continue to see elevated latency.

What we are doing
- The engineering team is working around the clock on the issue.
We've made a significant number of production improvements in the last
two weeks and are encouraged by progress so far, but the issue is
still ongoing and we have more work ahead of us.
- Related to this, some of the more drastic changes may involve
rescheduling our upcoming maintenance period so that it occurs
sooner. We will announce this date change widely if it's necessary.
- We know that the status site has been frustrating to some of you
during this period. We are working improvements to the monitoring
tools that power the site to improve its accuracy and usefulness, but
please note that these improvements are lower priority than actually
fixing the issues.

What we ask you to do
- Please continue to be vocal on the groups about how your application
is being impacted (and when you post, please include an App ID to help
us investigate). At times like this, the team is stretched to
capacity providing support, so please don't feel like we're ignoring
your issues if you don't get a response from someone on the team.
We're actively reading everything on the groups, on blogs, and
Twitter, and we are responding as much as we can.

Thank you again for your patience. We will provide updates as progress
is made.