Translate API depreceated

urukay

May 27, 2011, 5:21:40 AM5/27/11
to Google AJAX APIs
Google announced, that the Translate API will be depreceated from 1st
Dec 2011, so it means that we will be not able to use it anymore or
just Google will no longer maintain the API?

Thanks

R.

Alex

May 27, 2011, 5:37:23 AM5/27/11
to Google AJAX APIs
Does this affect only version 1 or also version 2?

urukay

May 27, 2011, 5:43:01 AM5/27/11
to Google AJAX APIs
well maybe both, but the problem is if API will be useless after 1st
of December or not. Som Far it looks like we can use API, but under
limited restrictions. The thing that confuses me that here
http://code.google.com/intl/sk/apis/language/translate/overview.html
the claim that there wil be shut off on 1st of December but here
http://code.google.com/intl/sk/apis/language/translate/v2/getting_started.html
there's only that they will not support it. So for me the main
question is, can I use this API after December or not. If not i will
stop using it right now.

I really don't like this announcement.

Jeremy Geerdes

May 27, 2011, 7:47:04 AM5/27/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
The API will no longer be supported, effective immediately. In other words, they will not be adding new features, and they will not be fixing bugs. And the service will be terminated completely in December.

That said, this only affects the v1 Language APIs family. You can still use the Translate API v2, for which you can sign up at http://code.google.com/apis/console .

Jeremy R. Geerdes
Generally Cool Guy
Des Moines, IA

For more information or a project quote:
jrge...@gmail.com

If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights Wesleyan Church!

urukay

May 27, 2011, 7:55:01 AM5/27/11
to Google AJAX APIs
So if I understand this right, API V2 will be available also after
December?

On May 27, 1:47 pm, Jeremy Geerdes <jrgeer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The API will no longer be supported, effective immediately. In other words, they will not be adding new features, and they will not be fixing bugs. And the service will be terminated completely in December.
>
> That said, this only affects the v1 Language APIs family. You can still use the Translate API v2, for which you can sign up athttp://code.google.com/apis/console.
>
> Jeremy R. Geerdes
> Generally Cool Guy
> Des Moines, IA
>
> For more information or a project quote:
> jrgeer...@gmail.com
>
> If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights Wesleyan Church!
>
> On May 27, 2011, at 4:43 AM, urukay wrote:
>

> > well maybe both, but the problem is if API will be useless after 1st
> > of December or not. Som Far it looks like we can use API, but under
> > limited restrictions. The thing that confuses me that here
> >http://code.google.com/intl/sk/apis/language/translate/overview.html
> > the claim that there wil be shut off on 1st of December but here
> >http://code.google.com/intl/sk/apis/language/translate/v2/getting_sta...

Jeremy Geerdes

urukay

May 27, 2011, 8:07:42 AM5/27/11
to Google AJAX APIs
but according this http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2011/05/spring-cleaning-for-some-of-our-apis.html
it looks like both version will be shutted down.
Guess we will have to wait to see "how the story really goes".
But thanks for bringing some light :)

Radovan

On May 27, 1:56 pm, Jeremy Geerdes <jrgeer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Correct.
>
> Jeremy R. Geerdes
> Generally Cool Guy
> Des Moines, IA
>
> For more information or a project quote:

Jeremy Geerdes

urukay

May 27, 2011, 8:28:02 AM5/27/11
to Google AJAX APIs
But it's not really clear if also V2 will go down, but I think it
will. But people are really dissapointed about it, so maybe Google
will reconsider it, I hope.

On May 27, 2:21 pm, Jeremy Geerdes <jrgeer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow. I just went to the Translate API v2 site, and you're correct. It would seem that even Translate v2 has been deprecated.
>
> Jeremy R. Geerdes
> Generally Cool Guy
> Des Moines, IA
>
> For more information or a project quote:
> jrgeer...@gmail.com
>
> If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights Wesleyan Church!
>
> On May 27, 2011, at 7:07 AM, urukay wrote:
>

> > but according thishttp://googlecode.blogspot.com/2011/05/spring-cleaning-for-some-of-ou...

Jeremy Geerdes

Zdravko Gligic

May 27, 2011, 9:34:51 AM5/27/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
If in that link we zero in on this peice of text "... Safe Browsing
API (v1 only), Translate API, ..." then one gets sense that there is
more than one "Safe Browsing" version - so they are being very
explicit that only v1 is being shut down. Since we know that there is
more than one version of Translate API, how come they are not being
equally explicit about it.

So, Radovan i correct.

Pozdrav,
Zdravko

Jeremy Geerdes

Zdravko Gligic

May 27, 2011, 9:42:26 AM5/27/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Said with greatest personal respect ...
What the ____ are you saying Jeremy ?!?

Jeremy Geerdes

Zdravko Gligic

May 27, 2011, 9:58:01 AM5/27/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Jeremy, that is indeed what I understood to be the case BUT ONLY AFTER
RADOVAN POINTED IT OUT and the reason why I asked is because I can not
believe that GOOG would be that irresponsible. This is worse than any
sort of malicious "bait and switch" that I have ever seen ANYWHARE!

If they are shutting down ALL versions of Translate API then they have
engaged in an incredible case of SUCKER PUNCHING many of us out of
existence because the day when they announced v2 with it they sent out
an unmistakable signal that not only will Translate API NEVER BE SHUT
DOWN but that in fact it is BEING MADE BETTER.

If that is the case then I am stopping all of my GOOG relaed
development, INCLUDING YOUTUBE, where I have been doing lots of great
work.
If that is the case then GOOG has just replace $MS$ as my new poster
child of GREED and BUSINESS STUPIDITY.

Jeremy, please tell me THAT IT AINT SO ?!?
Please, at least tell me that they would have had decency to say so -
more explicitly.
Please, tell me that this is just one bad dream.
Please, tell me ANYTHING that would make me feel OK again, about them
as HUMAN BEINGS.
Please Jeremy!

urukay

May 27, 2011, 10:17:58 AM5/27/11
to Google AJAX APIs
And the worst thing for me is that it looks like Google even haven't
even tried to find better solution to this situation, maybe charge
people for using API, for reasonable price of course. A lot of people
and companies would buy access to Translate API.
Well it's a shame. No more developer friendly Google. But on the other
hand this abuse of Translation API has been made by some developers,
so both sides take responsibility for this situation.
> > jrgeer...@gmail.com
>
> > If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights Wesleyan Church!
>
> > On May 27, 2011, at 8:42 AM, Zdravko Gligic wrote:
>
> >> Said with greatest personal respect ...
> >> What the ____ are you saying Jeremy ?!?

Zdravko Gligic

May 27, 2011, 10:39:28 AM5/27/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Please do not blame all developers because (like in any other
business) some abuse the situation. I for one, have stated many times
that I was even willing TO PAY to cover the costs of someone from GOOG
taking a look and evaluating my own use cases and compliance - JUST TO
MAKE SURE that I was.

In fact, what GOOG just did to the honorable and compliant individuals
is far worse than what abusers have been doing to it. The issue of
abusers is as plain as night and day. The issue of running Translate
v1 and not learning anything from it and then introducing v2 and with
it sending out a totally wrong signal is TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE.

Now, if that was not enough, they introduced the "ask for more quota"
process and that in itself suggested that while we may end up being
fed with a medicine dispensing droplet, IT DID SUGGEST that v2 would
be around FOREVER for at least the use cases that made business sense
to them.

What I believe to be happening and have been curious about for a very,
very long time (hence my willingness to pay costs of evaluation of my
own use cases and compliance) is that I could not see how anyone can
make any money with any type of API that serves pure data, such as
what Translate API does. No matter how hard I tried, I could not see
how they could make any money with that, NO MATTER HOW BIG I MADE
THEIR "POWERED BY GOOGLE" LOGO.

Having said that, if an old timer from COBOL and PUNCHED CARD days can
see and question such as business model then what on earth are they
paying for to their own business suits to do, if not to evaluate such
cases. Sure, tech people have done incredible work and for that I
respect them. The problem is most likely that the suits have not been
doing their part by constantly evaluating and business sense modelling
what the tech folks are cooking up.

NEVER IN MY LIFE HAVE I HAD A MORE UNDERHANDED AND A MORE DISHONEST
EXPERIENCE THEN THIS ONE.

urukay

May 27, 2011, 10:52:55 AM5/27/11
to Google AJAX APIs
I wrote 'some developers', so i'm not blaming all of them.

> read more »

amos

May 27, 2011, 12:47:49 PM5/27/11
to Google AJAX APIs
It seems that put a price point on the translate API would have dealt
with the abuse; ask people to pay for what it costs Google (+ profit).

It seems to me that the main reason for shutdown would be because this
is competing with some other Google business interest.

> read more »

UIDeveloperInTucson

May 27, 2011, 5:22:39 PM5/27/11
to Google AJAX APIs
I literally started working on developing tools for my site using this
API the beginning of this week. Looks like I've lost a week's worth of
work, but still... This is kind of bunk.
Guess I'll have to look into this Google translate element (http://
www.google.com/webelements/#!/translate) unless this TOO is getting
shutdown.

Anyone know if this is going away too?

> read more »

peterburk

May 28, 2011, 8:33:32 PM5/28/11
to Google AJAX APIs
Google isn't actually allowed to deprecate them in December. They must
continue unmaintained operation for at least 3 years for non-
experimental projects, including Translate API.

In Google's Console API Terms of Use:

1.3 Deprecation. If Google in its discretion chooses to cease
providing the current version of the Service whether through
discontinuation of the Service or by upgrading the Service to a newer
version, the current version of the Service will be deprecated and
become a Deprecated Version of the Service. Google will issue an
announcement if the current version of the Service will be deprecated.
For a period of 3 years after an announcement (the "Deprecation
Period"), Google will use commercially reasonable efforts to continue
to operate the Deprecated Version of the Service and to respond to
problems with the Deprecated Version of the Service deemed by Google
in its discretion to be critical. During the Deprecation Period, no
new features will be added to the Deprecated Version of the Service.
Google reserves the right in its discretion to cease providing all or
any part of a Deprecated Version of the Service immediately without
any notice if:
a. Google reasonably believes you have breached any provision of the
Terms; or
b. Google is required to do so by law (for example, due to a change to
the law governing the provision of the Deprecated Version of the
Service); or
c. the Deprecated Version of the Service relies on data or service
provided by a third party partner and the relationship with such
partner (i) has expired or been terminated or (ii) requires Google to
change the way Google provides the data or services through the
Deprecated Version of the Service; or
d. providing the Deprecated Version of the Service could create a
substantial economic burden on Google as determined by Google in its
reasonable good faith judgment; or
e. providing the Deprecated Version of the Service could create a
security risk or material technical burden upon Google as determined
by Google in its reasonable good faith judgment.
Google is constantly innovating in order to provide the best possible
experience for its users. At any time prior to discontinuing the
current version of the Service or upgrading to a new version of the
Service, Google may, in its reasonable discretion as part of this
continuing innovation, label certain features or functionality of the
Service as "experimental". This Section 1.3 of this Terms of Use will
not apply to any features or functionality labeled as "experimental".

Jeremy Geerdes

May 28, 2011, 8:56:24 PM5/28/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
"Google reserves the right in its discretion to cease providing all or
any part of a Deprecated Version of the Service immediately without
any notice if... (c) providing the Deprecated Version of the Service could create a

substantial economic burden on Google as determined by Google in its
reasonable good faith judgment."

Google has claimed that maintaining the Translate API is a economic burden because of the abuse of the API. The way this clause is written, they most certainly can discontinue the service today, without any notice.

Jeremy R. Geerdes
Generally Cool Guy
Des Moines, IA

For more information or a project quote:

jrge...@gmail.com

If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights Wesleyan Church!

peterburk

May 28, 2011, 9:26:54 PM5/28/11
to Google AJAX APIs
Ah, you got me there. IANAL.

Come over to Facebook and join the campaign against the shutdown:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dont-Shut-Down-Google-Translate-API/173456212712211

It's too bad, it's killing YouLing, my mouse-over translator for Mac.
http://goo.gl/MsV4D

Peter

peterburk

May 28, 2011, 9:44:48 PM5/28/11
to Google AJAX APIs
Best alternative translation API I've found so far:
http://www.jollo.com/api/

It queries all the major sites, and gives you the fastest response. So
unless all the others black out too, this should survive.
Peter

Zdravko Gligic

May 28, 2011, 9:57:48 PM5/28/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Except if it was not for the fact that those economic burdens did not
happen overnight and the fact that they acted totally in bad faith by
following Translate v1 with v2. It is not like v1 was not around for
a few years and as if these economic burdens were sudden. All of that
adds up to an extreme case of ACTING IN BAD FAITH and which would most
likely succeed in a class action lawsuit that was waged by those who
got ruined by this bad faith. Obviously, to Google, copyrights and
TOS are something with which it wipes its but (when others' interests
are considered) and its face.

mike...@gmail.com

May 29, 2011, 12:26:59 PM5/29/11
to Google AJAX APIs
Maybe there's a reason in that Chinese chat program QQ just recently
baked Google Translate into the "international" version of chat
software (www.imqq.com). It even said "powered by Google." Type what
you want in your language, click translate and it will be translated
before sent. At least that's how it's supposed to work - it never did
for me, and maybe Google already cut them off.

But I can't find an announcement, and I wonder if it just used the API
without asking. On the one hand, I can see Google's position, on the
other hand, translate integrated with a chat program is so cool, they
could have kept the door open. Other programmers were doing cool
things with the API too. Shame that Google decided to cut it back.

M.

On May 29, 9:57 am, Zdravko Gligic <zgli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Except if it was not for the fact that those economic burdens did not
> happen overnight and the fact that they acted totally in bad faith by
> following Translate v1 with v2.  It is not like v1 was not around for
> a few years and as if these economic burdens were sudden.  All of that
> adds up to an extreme case of ACTING IN BAD FAITH and which would most
> likely succeed in a class action lawsuit that was waged by those who
> got ruined by this bad faith.  Obviously, to Google, copyrights and
> TOS are something with which it wipes its but (when others' interests
> are considered) and its face.
>

> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 8:56 PM, Jeremy Geerdes <jrgeer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "Google reserves the right in its discretion to cease providing all or
> > any part of a Deprecated Version of the Service immediately without
> > any notice if... (c) providing the Deprecated Version of the Service could create a
> > substantial economic burden on Google as determined by Google in its
> > reasonable good faith judgment."
>
> > Google has claimed that maintaining the Translate API is a economic burden because of the abuse of the API. The way this clause is written, they most certainly can discontinue the service today, without any notice.
>
> > Jeremy R. Geerdes
> > Generally Cool Guy
> > Des Moines, IA
>
> > For more information or a project quote:
> > jrgeer...@gmail.com

sami

May 30, 2011, 12:36:32 AM5/30/11
to Google AJAX APIs
Shameful

Transliterate is going down too - apparently Google hates its South
Asian users....

On May 29, 6:57 am, Zdravko Gligic <zgli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Except if it was not for the fact that those economic burdens did not
> happen overnight and the fact that they acted totally in bad faith by
> following Translate v1 with v2.  It is not like v1 was not around for
> a few years and as if these economic burdens were sudden.  All of that
> adds up to an extreme case of ACTING IN BAD FAITH and which would most
> likely succeed in a class action lawsuit that was waged by those who
> got ruined by this bad faith.  Obviously, to Google, copyrights and
> TOS are something with which it wipes its but (when others' interests
> are considered) and its face.
>

> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 8:56 PM, Jeremy Geerdes <jrgeer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "Google reserves the right in its discretion to cease providing all or
> > any part of a Deprecated Version of the Service immediately without
> > any notice if... (c) providing the Deprecated Version of the Service could create a
> > substantial economic burden on Google as determined by Google in its
> > reasonable good faith judgment."
>
> > Google has claimed that maintaining the Translate API is a economic burden because of the abuse of the API. The way this clause is written, they most certainly can discontinue the service today, without any notice.
>
> > Jeremy R. Geerdes
> > Generally Cool Guy
> > Des Moines, IA
>
> > For more information or a project quote:
> > jrgeer...@gmail.com

pthurmond

May 31, 2011, 12:07:11 PM5/31/11
to Google AJAX APIs
Every dang one of you are really freaking out and acting like Google
owes you something. They don't owe anyone squat. Truth be told I have
seen thousands of new applications developed around this free service
and no one was compensating Google for it at all. Stop complaining
about losing your free handouts people.

This air of entitlement that some of you are spewing is just
disgusting. This isn't about Google's greed and selfishness, its about
your own.

Good lord, give something away for free and people expect you to keep
doing it, even if it becomes an excessive burden to you. They think of
it as their right to have it. Guess what, its not a right of yours.
When you rely on freebies and handouts to hold yourself or your
business up you are doomed to fail.

Now don't get me wrong, I think it really sucks that they are shutting
down and I do think that they should offer a paid option such as a
subscription or a per translation fee. It is short-sighted that they
are not offering a paid option. But you have to remember, they have
been giving this away. This is not a human right. Suck it up people!

Put all your eggs in one basket and eventually you will lose all your
eggs.

Thanks,
Patrick

Zdravko Gligic

May 31, 2011, 12:19:49 PM5/31/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Legally, while they appear to be 100% in the right, it is interesting
what a U.S. judge would say to their "good faith" practices.

Morally, and as far as "good faith" is concerned, they have acted
totally carelessly and without any signed of prudency.

Finally, you sound like a consultants who is heavily with your
you-know-what, up their you-know-what.

Jeremy Geerdes

Zdravko Gligic

May 31, 2011, 12:40:22 PM5/31/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Jeremy,

You are right in a way. However, I have never in my life witnessed a
consultant who is as heavily invested into GOOG as you are (judging by
your knowledge) and yet I have never even once seen you engage in,
even mildly, insulting our intelligence.

Regards,
Zdravko

Jeremy Geerdes

omr

Jun 4, 2011, 12:42:24 PM6/4/11
to Google AJAX APIs
urukay wrote:
> ... A lot of people and companies would buy access to Translate API. ...

See the June 3 update on the blog post:

http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2011/05/spring-cleaning-for-some-of-our-apis.html

-- omr