Use JSON Custom Search API to determine website's SERP?

stephanos

Dec 10, 2010, 3:42:08 PM12/10/10
to Google AJAX APIs
Hey folks,

I was wondering if the new Google Custom Search API (from the Google
Console, the one with quota of 100) can be used in a script to
regularly and accurately measure the ranking of a website for a
specific keywords (SERP)?

Cheers
Stephanos

stephanos

Dec 28, 2010, 7:37:59 AM12/28/10
to Google AJAX APIs
No thoughts on this?

Jeremy Geerdes

Dec 28, 2010, 8:48:58 AM12/28/10
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
No. And here's why:

1. The Custom Search API requires you to set up a Custom Search Engine (CSE) which must be set to search particular sites rather than the entire web.

2. The Custom Search API TOS explicitly prohibit you from making automated queries, which would be key to "regularly and accurately" measuring the SERP of a site.

Jeremy R. Geerdes
Generally Cool Guy
Des Moines, IA

For more information or a project quote:
jrge...@gmail.com

If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights Wesleyan Church!

stephanos

Dec 31, 2010, 7:40:27 AM12/31/10
to Google AJAX APIs
Thanks for the clear answer!
Is there ANY other way of legally determining the SERP of a site and a
search query without human interaction?

On Dec 28, 2:48 pm, Jeremy Geerdes <jrgeer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No. And here's why:
>
> 1. The Custom Search API requires you to set up a Custom Search Engine (CSE) which must be set to search particular sites rather than the entire web.
>
> 2. The Custom Search API TOS explicitly prohibit you from making automated queries, which would be key to "regularly and accurately" measuring the SERP of a site.
>
> Jeremy R. Geerdes
> Generally Cool Guy
> Des Moines, IA
>
> For more information or a project quote:
> jrgeer...@gmail.com

Jeremy Geerdes

Ville Pärkkä

Jul 2, 2013, 4:20:19 AM7/2/13
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Hi! I see this question and this answer is about 2 and a half years old and I just wanted to know if this answer is still the same or does Google now offer any way to check for ranking (serp)?

Jeremy Geerdes

Jul 2, 2013, 9:15:55 AM7/2/13
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
There has been no change.

jg

Jeremy R. Geerdes
Generally Cool Guy
Des Moines, IA

If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights Wesleyan Church!