What replaced the google image search api??

Matteo Sisti Sette

Jul 23, 2011, 10:31:25 AM7/23/11
to Google AJAX APIs
Hi,

At http://code.google.com/apis/imagesearch/ I read:
"Important: The Google Image Search API has been officially deprecated
as of May 26, 2011. It will continue to work as per our deprecation
policy, but the number of requests you may make per day may be
limited."

but it doesn't give a clue about WHAT api has replaced this one.

Has it been deprecated without offering any alternative, or which new
api is supposed to be or include the replacement for it?

Jeremy Geerdes

Jul 23, 2011, 12:57:06 PM7/23/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com

Good point. Google has not yet announced a successor to the image search api.

Jg

Wael Gomaa

Jul 23, 2011, 1:08:01 PM7/23/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
and what about Google Web Search??
--
Wael Hassan Gomaa
Mobile:  +2 014 6767 4 66

Matteo Sisti Sette

Jul 23, 2011, 1:14:25 PM7/23/11
On 07/23/2011 07:08 PM, Wael Gomaa wrote:
> and what about Google Web Search??

About that at least they do say it has been replaced by Google Custom
Search API, though there are a few things I don't understand, for example:

- you seem to have to create a Custom Search Engine (CSE) in order to do
calls to the api. Can't you just do a "normal" search??
- if not, how do you create a CSE that is not custom at all, i.e. one
that will give you the same results as a user would get from a normal
search on Google?

Jeremy Geerdes

Jul 23, 2011, 3:02:07 PM7/23/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com

The closest thing to a successor for the web search api is the custom search api.

--
Wael Hassan Gomaa
Mobile:  +2 014 6767 4 66
PhD student,
Faculty of Computers and Information,
Cairo University, Egypt

DY

Jul 23, 2011, 3:04:15 PM7/23/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Generally, what are the differences between the web search and the custom search?
-Deb

Jeremy Geerdes

Jul 23, 2011, 3:25:45 PM7/23/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com

The csapi runs on a different back-end architecture, has a slightly different json structure, supports atom, requires a key, has a daily query limit, offers a paid option, requires an associated custom search engine, and supports a few different arguments.

On 7/23/2011 3:02 PM, Jeremy Geerdes wrote:

> The closest thing to a successor for the web search api is the custom search api.
>>

>> On Jul ...

> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google AJAX APIs" group...

Adam Feldman

Jul 23, 2011, 10:52:31 PM7/23/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Here are some step-by-step directions on creating a Custom Search Engine that is set up to search the whole web:

Thanks,
Adam

DY

Jul 24, 2011, 10:34:09 AM7/24/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

Matteo Sisti Sette

Jul 24, 2011, 11:08:44 AM7/24/11
On 07/24/2011 04:52 AM, Adam Feldman wrote:

> Here are some step-by-step directions on creating a Custom Search Engine
> that is set up to search the whole web:
> http://www.google.com/support/customsearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1210656

Hey thanks a lot! Just what I needed.

It's UNBELIEVABLE you have to put a random site in "included sites", and
then remove it after selecting "Search the entire web but emphasize
included sites�. Pathetic.