*Wrong* Romanian virtual keyboard

Cristian Adam

Nov 3, 2010, 11:53:36 AM11/3/10
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Google uses a modified IBM OS/2 Romanian keyboard layout, modified because it uses the correct diacritics (s and t comma bellow).

IBM OS/2 Keyboard layout can be viewed here: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/globalization/keyboards/KBD446.pdf

Romanian keyboard layout is defined by the Romanian National Standard SR 13392:2004. The document can be bought from the Romanian Standardization Body http://goo.gl/oixtJ

Notice that all the Linux distributions include the correct Romanian keyboard layouts, so there is no need to actually buy the standard.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 correctly implement the standard SR 13392:2004, I have put a screenshot comparing Windows 7 virtual keyboard with Google virtual keyboard http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/903/win7vsgoogle.png

Please update the Romanian keyboard layout to the correct standard.

Cheers,
Cristian Adam.

Cristian Adam

Nov 3, 2010, 2:53:38 PM11/3/10
to Google AJAX APIs
On Nov 3, 4:53 pm, Cristian Adam <cristian.a...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Notice that all the Linux distributions include the correct Romanian
> keyboard layouts, so there is no need to actually buy the standard.

I have put the primary romanian keyboard layout from Ubuntu 10.10
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ro here: http://pastebin.com/dS76PLsA

Thanks,
Cristian Adam.

Adam Feldman

Nov 3, 2010, 3:42:41 PM11/3/10
to Google AJAX APIs
Hello Cristian,

Is it possible for you to send us a link to a copy of Romanian
National Standard SR 13392:2004? It will be much easier for us
implement and verify according to the specification, rather than other
implementations or screenshots.

Thanks,
Adam

Cristian Adam

Nov 4, 2010, 9:14:35 AM11/4/10
to Google AJAX APIs
On Nov 3, 8:42 pm, Adam Feldman <adam.feld...@google.com> wrote:
> Hello Cristian,
>
> Is it possible for you to send us a link to a copy of Romanian
> National Standard SR 13392:2004?  It will be much easier for us
> implement and verify according to the specification, rather than other
> implementations or screenshots.
>
> Thanks,
> Adam

Hi Adam,

I will get back to you regarding the copy of the standard.

I have found out that the virtual keyboard overrides the system
keyboard when activated.

Normally I am using the Romanian Programmers layout, defined as
secondary layout, and I was impressed to find out that the
physical keyboard was not working as ex expected!

Could we have an option to have both layouts for the Romanian
virtual keyboard?

I find it really great that the virtual keyboard is overriding
the default keyboard, which means that the users can use this
keyboard on systems where they do not have the Romanian layout,
or they cannot install a system driver.

Cheers,
Cristian.

Cristian Adam

Nov 8, 2010, 11:16:17 AM11/8/10
to Google AJAX APIs
On Nov 3, 8:42 pm, Adam Feldman <adam.feld...@google.com> wrote:
> Hello Cristian,
>
> Is it possible for you to send us a link to a copy of Romanian
> National Standard SR 13392:2004?  It will be much easier for us
> implement and verify according to the specification, rather than other
> implementations or screenshots.

Here is a link to the final draft of the document:
http://www.secarica.ro/std/sr_13392_2004_08_03.pdf

The document is only in Romanian, but Google Translate should provide
an acceptable translation.

Please add both keyboard layouts, I have seen that there are languages
with two keyboard layouts:
http://code.google.com/apis/language/virtualkeyboard/v1/getting_started.html#enum

Cheers,
Cristian.

Adam Feldman

Nov 8, 2010, 1:51:17 PM11/8/10
to Google AJAX APIs
Hi Christian,

Thanks for this information. We'll work on making these changes.
Watch our Alerts blog for an update:
http://ajax-api-alerts.blogspot.com/

Cheers,
Adam
> with two keyboard layouts:http://code.google.com/apis/language/virtualkeyboard/v1/getting_start...
>
> Cheers,
> Cristian.

Cristian Adam

Dec 13, 2011, 5:00:03 AM12/13/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Any progress on this issue? It has been more than an year now.

I know that the virtual keyboard api has been deprecated, but I've seen
that the virtual keyboard has reappeared on www.google.ro, which
means that Google products are still using it.

Cheers,
Cristian.

Dorin Lazăr

Dec 13, 2011, 8:52:06 AM12/13/11
to Google AJAX APIs
Hi, I am also interested in the updates for this issue. I can second
Cristian's change request.
Many thanks,
Dorin Lazăr