google.loader.clientlocation issue

dvolod

Mar 21, 2010, 4:40:25 PM3/21/10
to Google AJAX APIs
google.loader.ClientLocation stop working on my web, it returns wrong
location...
Can somebody explain?

Jeremy Geerdes

Mar 21, 2010, 4:57:20 PM3/21/10
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
The ClientLocation feature works by comparing your IP address to a database of known networks. If your IP address changes or the database contains incorrect or incomplete information, you could end up with incorrect coordinates or none at all (i.e., you get a null value).

Jeremy R. Geerdes
Effective website design & development
Des Moines, IA

For more information or a project quote:
http://jgeerdes.home.mchsi.com
jrge...@gmail.com

If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights Wesleyan Church!

vruotsalainen

Mar 22, 2010, 2:55:32 AM3/22/10
to Google AJAX APIs
I noticed similar behavior as dvolod few days ago. Suddenly the
locations are really strange with the same IP addresses that were
correct previously. The locations are pointing to a different country.
After that I have tried even more IP addresses and all of them seem to
be incorrect. In my case Finnish IP addresses are located in
Switzerland.

wjb21

Mar 22, 2010, 7:25:51 AM3/22/10
to Google AJAX APIs
I have the same problem. Worked very well until a few days ago. Now
IP addresses in the UK appear as being in the USA (different USA
locations depending on IP address!), also IP addresses from users in
Germany are appearing in Italy or even China.

xavi

Mar 22, 2010, 2:05:00 PM3/22/10
to Google AJAX APIs
Same here, in Barcelona, Spain. I've tried with two different IP
addresses, and for both the API says I'm somewhere in China.

Jeff S (Google)

Mar 22, 2010, 2:18:11 PM3/22/10
to Google AJAX APIs
Hi all,

We did make some change to the ClientLocation code recently and I
apologize as it seems this issue is on our end. I'll continue to
update this thread.

Thank you,

Jeff

Jeff S (Google)

Mar 22, 2010, 3:27:43 PM3/22/10
to Google AJAX APIs
Hi again,

I've been working on this and to ensure that I've corrected the
problem, it would help if I could have some examples of IP addresses
which you've identified as having a changed client location. Feel free
to email these to me.

Thank you,

Jeff

boris

Mar 23, 2010, 12:37:36 PM3/23/10
to Google AJAX APIs
H there,

any news on how this is going, its still broken for me. I'm in London
UK, and its showing me in LA.

thanks

Jeff S (Google)

Mar 23, 2010, 6:22:04 PM3/23/10
to Google AJAX APIs
Hi all,

We performed an update and this should now be fixed. You may need to
clear your browser cache to see the change. If this is still not
working for you after a couple of hours, please let me know (again
private email is fine) as I'm keeping an eye out for possible proxy
caching.

Thanks again and apologies for the inconvenience,

Jeff