Decelerating animation will be not smooth in infinite feed

Wataru.N

Nov 29, 2022, 10:03:41 PM11/29/22
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hello Everyone.

I have a question about Mobile Ads SDK for iOS.

I implemented display ads using Mobile Ads SDK for iOS.
Google ads are displayed in an infinite feed. (like a Twitter timeline)

The feed’s specification is when a user scrolls the feed,
loads the next contents and new ads to display on a new page.
When a user scrolls and loads a new page many times, decelerating animation on my application is not smooth.

I researched the cause using TimeProfiler with Xcode’s instruments, it is to have too many Google ads instances.
I noticed many Google ads instance is working on the Main Thread.

How I can fix this issue?

I understand that have to decrease Google ads instances.
But I would appreciate your help if there is a way to resolve this issue while retaining the Google ads instance if possible.

Build environment
- Google-Mobile-Ads-SDK: v9.12.0
    - with CocoaPods
- Xcode 14.1
- iOS 16.0

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Dec 1, 2022, 3:30:12 AM12/1/22
to nakan...@dely.jp, google-adm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Wataru,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Before we can provide guidance with regard to your concern, can you provide us privately the following details below? You can provide the following details via reply privately to author option or directly provide it to the link below.

  • Sample app project where the behavior is reproducible
  • Steps to replicate
  • Copy of TimeProfiler with Xcode’s instruments
  • Screen recording / screenshots (if any)

If the file(s) you are looking to share are less than 25mb in total you can attach them to this case on your next reply. If you are having trouble attaching your file to this case or if your file(s) are larger than 25mb, you can share your files with me by performing the following steps:

1. Navigate to

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfkAiXMeYP-fw1W3Z-tT9uwmATEKO5X6S-th0gR2ezdKaaqfg/viewform?usp=pp_url&entry.400550049=Mobile+Ads+SDK&entry.460850823=5004Q00002ggouAQAQ&entry.80707362=00158727

2. Fill out all fields, and attach your file(s).

3. Please reply back on this thread when you have uploaded your file(s). Please do not share this link.

Regards,

Google Logo
Princess Pamela
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2ggouA:ref

Wataru.N

Dec 1, 2022, 5:07:58 AM12/1/22
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.

I send the following files on the form.
- Sample app project
- TimeProfiler log
- Screen recording

The steps to replicate are simple.
Please scroll to the bottom and repeat it many times.
Decelerating animation will not be smooth when Google ad instances extend about 30.

Please confirm if it reproduces.

Regards,
Wataru.N

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Dec 2, 2022, 1:11:30 AM12/2/22
to nakan...@dely.jp, google-adm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Wataru,

I've checked your provided sample app project, and followed the steps you've mentioned. Upon testing, I was able to encounter the decelerating animation when scrolling. However, there is a similar case with regard to this and we already raised it to our wider team, and they confirm that several videos playing within scrolling views may cause performance issues, especially on older devices. Some workarounds are to have less videos within the scroll view (spread out the ads) or consider rendering native ads without the main asset. With that, I would suggest trying the workarounds mentioned first if this helps your implementation.

Wataru.N

Dec 5, 2022, 4:57:12 AM12/5/22
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi,
Thank you for your reply and tells workarounds to fix the issue.

> several videos playing within scrolling views may cause performance issues

Testing on the sample app I send, the issue was reproduced even if displayed image ads only.
Does the performance issue occur in image ads too?

> consider rendering native ads without the main asset

Sorry, I can't understand how I implement it.
What is the "main asset"?
Please provide some sample codes if you can.

2022年12月2日金曜日 15:11:30 UTC+9 mobileadssdk:

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Dec 5, 2022, 1:09:09 PM12/5/22
to nakan...@dely.jp, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wataru,

I work along with Princess. Allow me to answer your inquiries below.

Testing on the sample app I send, the issue was reproduced even if displayed image ads only.
Does the performance issue occur in image ads too?
-> Yes, it happens on image ads. Image ads do take phone's resources as well and showing/rendering a large number would also impact the phone's performance

What is the "main asset"?
-> My colleague is referring to MediaView. You may check our guide here.

For the use case wherein you're using a feed, we recommend the first approach wherein to lessen the number of ads.

Regards,
Google Logo
Teejay Wennie
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2ggouA:ref

Wataru.N

Dec 6, 2022, 4:28:01 AM12/6/22
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi Teejay Wennie
Thank you for your reply.

> My colleague is referring to MediaView. You may check our guide here.
I understood the "main asset" is  "MediaView".
I want to try "rendering native ads without the main asset", but I thought MediaView is required.
"MediaView is required to render the main video or image asset in an ad." was written in the guide.

How do I display native ads without the MediaView?

If you have a way to fix the issue without lessening the number of ads, I want to know.

Regards,
Wataru.N

2022年12月6日火曜日 3:09:09 UTC+9 mobileadssdk:

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Dec 6, 2022, 1:40:52 PM12/6/22
to nakan...@dely.jp, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wataru,

Thank you for following up. I've discussed this to the team and would like to rectify what I've mentioned on this thread. It's is indeed that MediaView is required to render the main video or image asset in an ad. For your use case, I'm afraid that the only solution is to lessen the number of ad request.

Wataru.N

Dec 6, 2022, 8:46:44 PM12/6/22
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi,

Thank you for your reply and discussed your team.
I hope to rectify this issue.

> For your use case, I'm afraid that the only solution is to lessen the number of ad request.
I'm more clear what should I do.

Thank you for answering so many questions.

2022年12月7日水曜日 3:40:52 UTC+9 mobileadssdk: