Do you recognize this monster? Is he dangerous?

Jean Eckenfels

Jun 16, 2016, 12:46:42 PM6/16/16
to Good Neighbors
This "mosquito" was in our paper this morning. Should we be afraid?
IMG_1087.JPG
IMG_1086.JPG

Diana Havill Ryan

Jun 16, 2016, 1:16:38 PM6/16/16
to jeanec...@comcast.net, Good Neighbors

Looks like a mayfly to me.  If I am correct in the identification, they are harmless.  Their main purpose in life is to be food for others.  Very common worldwide near freshwater lakes

--
* Send group messages to: GoodNe...@googlegroups.com

* Hyde Park Calendar: http://tinyurl.com/HydeParkFromNowOn

* Archives: http://tinyurl.com/GNMessages

Virus-free

pardoq...@comcast.net

Jun 16, 2016, 1:24:42 PM6/16/16
to dhr...@sbcglobal.net, jeanec...@comcast.net, Good Neighbors
I agree, Diana. Completely harmless...and very pretty!

Best,

Cindy
---

Laura Staley

Jun 16, 2016, 2:36:36 PM6/16/16
to pardoq...@comcast.net, dhr...@sbcglobal.net, jeanec...@comcast.net, Good Neighbors
I actually think they are crane flies. I've had several in my home lately. Still harmless, but less beastly than a may fly.

Laura

(From mobile)

Diana Havill Ryan

Jun 16, 2016, 4:27:52 PM6/16/16
to lst...@gmail.com, pardoq...@comcast.net, jeanec...@comcast.net, Good Neighbors
My goodness. I'd forgotten about crane flys. I agree with the identification.

René Pomerleau

Jun 17, 2016, 2:14:05 AM6/17/16
to goodne...@googlegroups.com
That's a male mosquito. Doesn't bite. Nutrients in mammalian blood
are necessary to mosquitoes to produce eggs, so only the females bite
us. Males don't even have the equipment necessary for sucking blood.

Anyone who finds this intellectually exciting should google "male
mosquito".

- Rene

On 06/16/2016 11:48 AM, Jean Eckenfels wrote:
> This "mosquito" was in our paper this morning. Should we be afraid?

René Pomerleau

Jun 17, 2016, 2:27:41 AM6/17/16
to goodne...@googlegroups.com
Oops! I meant "vertebrate blood". But the males still don't bite.
However, I've always thought that killing one male might have the same
inhibitory effect on the population as killing many females, since the
males seem to be relatively rare.

- Rene

Emily Fong

Jun 17, 2016, 6:46:58 AM6/17/16
to re...@pomerleau.us, goodneighbors

René Pomerleau

Jun 17, 2016, 11:55:56 AM6/17/16
to Emily Fong, goodneighbors
Thank you, Emily, for setting me straight.  That "monster" quite obviously is a midge, more specifically a blepharicerida or net-winged midge.  In the almost seventy years since I was told that a similar "monster" was a male mosquito, I may never really have seen a male mosquito.  Who knew?

In atonement, may I refer people to this Wikipedia article:
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blephariceridae

and an even better picture here:
   https://www.zfmk.de/en/research/collections/diptera-flies-mosquitoes-and-midges

And Jean, those are really great pictures of your discovery.

  - Rene

LaKeisha Hamilton

Jun 17, 2016, 1:34:57 PM6/17/16
to re...@pomerleau.us, Good Neighbors, Emily Fong

I want to thank each of you for thinking out loud and educating each of us on the Mosquito.

I can not wait to share this thread with my eleven year old son, he loves all things Science. His aspiration is to be an Astrophysicist.

#MyNeighborsRock

Keisha