[Golden Cheetah - Bug #75] Garmin Edge 500 FIT and TCX file issues

golden.ch...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2010, 1:33:53 PM4/7/10
Issue #75 has been updated by Gareth Coco.

Oops. The second part of the TCX import function is a duplicate of bug #65. Sorry.
Bug #75: Garmin Edge 500 FIT and TCX file issues
http://bugs.goldencheetah.org/issues/show/75

Author: Gareth Coco
Assigned to:
Category:
Target version:
Operating system: Win 7
Arch.: x86
GoldenCheetah Version: developer
Qt Version:

Hi,

Using commit fbdd15... (2010-04-06) as the build, I imported the attached Garmin files. The FIT is from the Garmin Edge 500 (running V2.30 software) and when I select the Map tab it says that there is "No GPS Data Present." This feature has been working fine in the past.

I did a software upgrade on the Garmin Edge 500 over the weekend so maybe the FIT file format is different than it was before.

I then exported the file to a TCX file and imported that into GC. I now have map data but I do not get any Power data. I looked in the TCX file and it clearly shows that there is power data in the records. Not sure what the problem is here as the only other TCX file I have didn't have power in it.

To change your notification preferences, please click here: http://bugs.goldencheetah.org/my/account

golden.ch...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2010, 9:19:54 PM4/7/10
Issue #75 has been updated by Gareth Coco.

File 2010-04-07-19-11-29.fit added

Okay. I went a riding this evening and have a little more information.

It seems that the FIT file not showing GPS data is ride time dependent. It appears that if the ride time is longer than about 31 minutes GPS data does not display. Less than this and everything is fine. The attached FIT file was after the one from this morning and only 24 minutes long and GPS data is present.

golden.ch...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2010, 10:43:10 PM4/9/10
Issue #75 has been updated by Jamie Kimberley.

I'm seeing this behavior in a few fit files too.

I tried to convert to .gc and looking at the data I seem to have lat/long data in the file so I'm not sure what the problem is. Looking more closely at the data there are several lat/long pairs that are at 0, 0. probably GPS drops ( I rode through some tunnels on a ride that i was having issues with).

It seems that if I split the file to remove the zeros in lat/long the ride will plot just fine.

looking at gareth's fit file there are two samples that have lat/long =0. so that seems to be the problem.

This seems to be more tied to the way that the mapping portion of the program handles lat/long = 0. My guess is that when exporting to tcx in GTC they fill in the gaps for data drops. perhaps we should do this when we export to .gc or other formats. Then again tis would go against the mantra of leave device data alone.

Any thoughts?

golden.ch...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2010, 9:57:09 AM4/12/10
Issue #75 has been updated by Gareth Coco.

File 0001-Fix-to-allow-Lat-0-Lon-0-data-points-in-Garmin-FIT-f.patch added

Attached is a patch which fixes the problem. I basically changed the starting Lat/Lon to 1000 and then check to see if a data point is Lat0/Lon0. If it is then use the last recorded Lat/Lon for the data point. There is already something similar in place. I also changed the check for No GPS Data to look for the MaxLon = 1000 which seems to work for the files that I have to be able to test against.