problems getting Garmin Ant+ stick to work with quarqd

Erik

Dec 5, 2010, 8:33:50 PM12/5/10
to golden-cheetah-users
I bought new Garmin Ant+ stick to try the realtime option in GC.

Unfortunately cannot get it to work, tried OSX, and the Ubuntu option
with virtualbox.
Used initially the Garmin driver/software, seems to work, as the
software sees the Ant+ stick (red cross disappears when connected).
After that tried the alternative drivers, doesn't work as well.
Then the Ubuntu on Windows in VM, same story.

Looking in the /dev directory, no device is added for the Ant+ stick,
so quarqd won't start. Same issue with all options tried above.

What I noticed in Ubuntu, that the product ID is 4104 (hex 1008), in
drivers, in OSX (plist), 4100 is used, so also tried to change this,
no success.

As Garmin Ant Agent seems to recognize the device, not sure if there
is or is not a hardware problem, as I have an Edge 705 and no running
device from Garmin.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Erik

Gareth

Dec 5, 2010, 11:36:55 PM12/5/10
to golden-cheetah-users
In the top left had corner of your ANT stick does it say USB1 or USB2.

I believe if it is USB2 your out of luck as the USB to Serial
converter is no longer in the device.

If USB1, in the Ubuntu window, login and do a "lsusb -v" and see
whether you see the device listed somewhere. It will most likely be a
Dynastream device. Then check to see if in /dev you see a device
ttyUSB0.

Jim Thompson

Dec 6, 2010, 12:08:43 AM12/6/10
to Gareth, golden-cheetah-users
The new USB stick doesn't work. Yet.
Mark Rages did some work (in Python) that may be helpful.

-- Jim

Erik

Dec 6, 2010, 10:50:26 AM12/6/10
to golden-cheetah-users
The stick is a USB2, that explains it...
Hope it can be fixed, otherwise have to start for the USB1 version.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Erik

On Dec 5, 9:08 pm, Jim Thompson <j...@netgate.com> wrote:
> The new USB stick doesn't work.  Yet.
> Mark Rages did some work (in Python) that may be helpful.
>
> -- Jim

Gareth

Dec 9, 2010, 12:51:11 PM12/9/10
to golden-cheetah-users
On Dec 6, 10:50 am, Erik <e...@bakker.st> wrote:
> The stick is a USB2, that explains it...

It has been reported for Ubuntu that running the following command:

sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x0fcf product=0x1008

will make the Ant+ stick show up as ttyUSB0 and you can run quarqd.

Mark Rages

Dec 9, 2010, 11:30:44 PM12/9/10
to Gareth, golden-cheetah-users

Cool, it's using the "generic ACM" driver. Where did you find this
command? Credit where it's due.

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail
--
Mark Rages, Engineer
Midwest Telecine LLC

Mark Rages

Dec 9, 2010, 11:47:03 PM12/9/10
to Gareth, golden-cheetah-users
On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Gareth <garet...@gmail.com> wrote:

To make the change permanent, you can do

echo "options usbserial vendor=0x0fcf product=0x1008" >
/etc/modprobe.d/ant-usb2.conf

(do it as root, sudo -s makes you root)

If, like me, you have a bunch of different USB->serial devices, you
might want to give the stick a consistent filename:

echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="tty" ACTION=="add" ATTRS{idProduct}=="1008"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="0fcf" SYMLINK+="ttyANT"' >
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-antstick.rules

(do it as root, all on a line).

Then use "/dev/ttyANT" for $ANT_TTY instead of "/dev/ttyUSB0" or whatever.

Darren Hague

Dec 13, 2010, 8:18:56 AM12/13/10
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi folks,

I have uploaded a new version of the Quarqd Virtual Appliance,
including USB2 stick support. Could someone test it, please?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/291298/Quarqd%20Windows%20Kit.zip

Cheers,
Darren

On Dec 10, 4:47 am, Mark Rages <markra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> markra...@midwesttelecine.com

Rob Meyer

Jan 23, 2011, 12:15:06 AM1/23/11
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi guys,

Im having some trouble with this too. This is the first time I have
used terminal on my mac for anything, so its all new to me. I have a
ANT2USB stick, so I try to follow the readme and enter "sudo modprobe
usbserial vendor=0x0fcf product=0x1008". When I do this, the terminal
window states "sudo: modprobe: command not found". Any idea what I'm
doing wrong? Are these directions for unix only?

Thanks,
Rob

Matt Perry

Jan 23, 2011, 10:36:50 AM1/23/11
to Rob Meyer, golden-cheetah-users
On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Rob Meyer <robby...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Im having some trouble with this too.  This is the first time I have
> used terminal on my mac for anything, so its all new to me.  I have a
> ANT2USB stick, so I try to follow the readme and enter "sudo modprobe
> usbserial vendor=0x0fcf product=0x1008".  When I do this, the terminal
> window states "sudo: modprobe: command not found".  Any idea what I'm
> doing wrong?  Are these directions for unix only?

Yeah, modprobe is a linux command to interact with the linux kernel at
runtime. The goal in this case is to load the driver; In Linux, the
driver is built into the kernel. On Mac, you'll need to install the
drivers separately.
--
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it."  -- Alan Kay

Mark Liversedge

Aug 2, 2012, 4:12:42 PM8/2/12
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com, Rob Meyer
v3 supports ANT+ natively (ie without needing quarqd) and supports both USB1 and USB2 devices.

You can get builds from goldencheetah.stand2surf.net.

Regards,
Mark

On Monday, 23 July 2012 21:50:12 UTC+1, Gurley wrote:

Long time since this has been commented on.  Hoping someone has a solution by now. Looks like they aren't making drivers for USB2 ANT+ sticks for OSX though.  It appears that it's up to the developer to to get it to work with the software they are building.  So how do you get quarqd working with the USB2 version when modprobe doesn't exist and there aren't any drivers?

mshalett

Sep 20, 2013, 12:15:14 PM9/20/13
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com, Rob Meyer
Spent a long while last nite but never got v3 to recognize Powerbeam Pro using Garmin usb2 stick osx 10.8.4?  Had both Powertap and Powerbeam pro on at the same time and neither device showed up on scan.  any suggestions?

Mark Liversedge

Sep 20, 2013, 5:18:26 PM9/20/13
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com, Rob Meyer
I think the powerbeam pro uses a private ant channel -- could you pair it with a cycle head unit?

Mark