go-mode for XEmacs

Mats Lidell

Jul 25, 2011, 6:23:41 PM7/25/11
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Just checked the "Contribution Guidelines" and one of the very first
things it says is that you should post a line to go.nuts and tell the
world what you are up to. OK. Here it is: "I'm trying to get go-mode
to work with XEmacs."

This leads to a couple of questions:

- Do I need to do all the rest that is described in that document to,
just!?, supply a patch to go-mode?

- Getting it to work with XEmacs is part of a bigger goal to include
it in the XEmacs Packages. This leads to some licensing
issues. Although the go-mode.el file does not contain the same
header as the go-code does I assume it is also covered by the
MBSD-license?

And if I'm not mistaken, MBSD is GPL compatible and as such it
would be OK, legal, to redistribute go-mode.el in the XEmacs
Packages under GPL. The issue here is whether or not the go-lang
team does approve of such a redistribution and should the question
be put to the dev-list or does this list suffice?

It will of course be a service for go developers using XEmacs if
the mode is included in the regular packages. The redistribution
will also contain proper links and attributions to the upstream
version etc.

Yours
--
%% Mats

Andrew Gerrand

Jul 25, 2011, 6:38:24 PM7/25/11
to golan...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:23:41 AM UTC+10, Mats Lidell wrote:
Hi,

Just checked the "Contribution Guidelines" and one of the very first
things it says is that you should post a line to go.nuts and tell the
world what you are up to. OK. Here it is: "I'm trying to get go-mode
to work with XEmacs."

This leads to a couple of questions:

 - Do I need to do all the rest that is described in that document to,
   just!?, supply a patch to go-mode?

Yeah. If you want to submit code to the project you need to sign the CLA. The process isn't very complex, it's just well-documented.

 - Getting it to work with XEmacs is part of a bigger goal to include
   it in the XEmacs Packages. This leads to some licensing
   issues. Although the go-mode.el file does not contain the same
   header as the go-code does I assume it is also covered by the
   MBSD-license?

Yes, it is.

   And if I'm not mistaken, MBSD is GPL compatible and as such it
   would be OK, legal, to redistribute go-mode.el in the XEmacs
   Packages under GPL. The issue here is whether or not the go-lang
   team does approve of such a redistribution and should the question
   be put to the dev-list or does this list suffice?

That sounds reasonable to me, but it's not a question of whether we approve. If the license permits it, you can do it.

   It will of course be a service for go developers using XEmacs if
   the mode is included in the regular packages. The redistribution
   will also contain proper links and attributions to the upstream
   version etc.

Sounds good, as long as it can be kept reasonably up-to-date.

Andrew

Mats Lidell

Jul 26, 2011, 5:00:58 PM7/26/11
to golan...@googlegroups.com

> Yeah. If you want to submit code to the project you need to sign the
> CLA. The process isn't very complex, it's just well-documented.

Well I'm not afraid of the signing but all the mercurial and review
steps. But if that is what it takes...

> That sounds reasonable to me, but it's not a question of whether we
> approve. If the license permits it, you can do it.

That is fair. Thanks.

Yours
--
%% Mats