weekly.2012-02-07

Andrew Gerrand

Feb 8, 2012, 1:12:12 AM2/8/12
to golang-nuts
We've just tagged a new Go weekly, weekly.2012-02-07. As usual, you
can update by running:
 hg pull
 hg update weekly

This weekly snapshot includes a re-organization of the Go tools.

Only the go, godoc, and gofmt tools are installed to $GOROOT/bin (or $GOBIN).
The remainder are installed to $GOROOT/bin/tool.
This puts the lesser-used tools (6g, cgo, govet, etc.) outside the user PATH.
Instead these tools may be called through the go tool with 'go tool command'.
For example, to vet hello.go you would type 'go tool vet hello.go'.
Type 'go tool' see the list of available tools.

With the move, some tools were given simpler names:
       6cov    -> cov
       6nm     -> nm
       goapi   -> api
       gofix   -> fix
       gopack  -> pack
       gopprof -> pprof
       govet   -> vet
       goyacc  -> yacc

The os/signal package has been moved to exp/signal.

A new tool named 'dist' has been introduced to handle building the gc tool
chain and to bootstrap the go tool. The old build scripts and make files
have been removed.

Other changes:
* 5a, 6a, 8a, cc: check in y.tab.[ch].
* 5l, 6l, 8l, ld: remove memory leaks (thanks Shenghou Ma).
* 5l, 6l, 8l: implement -X flag.
* 5l: make -v option output less nonessential clutter (thanks Shenghou Ma),
       optimize the common case in patch() (thanks Shenghou Ma).
* 8a, 8l: implement support for RDTSC instruction (thanks Shenghou Ma).
* 8g: use uintptr for local pc.
* archive/zip: support full range of FileMode flags (thanks Gustavo Niemeyer).
* bufio: remove special error type, update docs.
* build: move the "-c" flag into HOST_CFLAGS (thanks Anthony Martin),
       remove unnecessary pragmas (thanks Anthony Martin).
* builder: drop recover blocks.
* bytes: API tweaks.
* cgo: accept null pointers in gccgo flavour of C.GoString (thanks
Rémy Oudompheng),
       print line numbers in fatal errors when relevant (thanks Rémy
Oudompheng).
* cmd/dist: add GOBIN to env's output (thanks Gustavo Niemeyer),
       fix bug in bsubst (thanks Alex Brainman),
       fix build on openbsd (thanks Mikio Hara),
       generate files for package runtime,
       ignore file names beginning with . or _,
       prevent race on VERSION creation (thanks Gustavo Niemeyer).
* cmd/gc: another special (%hhS) case for method names,
       describe debugging flags (thanks Anthony Martin),
       diagnose \ in import path,
       disallow switch _ := v.(type),
       don't print implicit type on struct literal in export,
       fix codegen reordering for expressions involving && and ||,
       use octal escapes in mkopnames (thanks Anthony Martin).
       use original constant expression in error messages (thanks Rémy
Oudompheng).
* cmd/go: add support for release tags via git branches (thanks
Gustavo Niemeyer),
       build: print import errors when invoked on files (thanks Kyle Lemons),
       clean test directories as they complete,
       fix error message on non-existing tools (thanks Rémy Oudompheng),
       fix handling of gccgo standard library (thanks Rémy Oudompheng),
       fixed panic on `go clean -n` and `go clean -x` (thanks Sanjay Menakuru),
       introduce support for "go build" with gccgo (thanks Rémy Oudompheng),
       make vcs command actually gather output (thanks Roger Peppe),
       pass env CGO_CFLAGS to cgo (thanks Jeff Hodges),
       record location of failed imports for error reporting (thanks
Rémy Oudompheng).
* cmd/goapi: expand embedded interfaces.
* cmd/goinstall: remove now that 'go get' works (thanks Gustavo Niemeyer).
* cmd/ld: fix gdbscript (thanks Wei Guangjing).
* cmd/pack: change gopack to pack in error messages.
* codereview: miscellaneous fixes and improvements.
* crypto/elliptic: p224Contract could produce a non-minimal representation.
* crypto/tls: better error message when connecting to SSLv3 servers.
* crypto/x509: use case-insensitive hostname matching.
* dashboard: support for sub-repositories, update to go1beta.
* database/sql: permit scanning into interface{}.
* doc: update go1.html for recent changes.
* encoding/base32: add DecodeString and EncodeToString helper methods,
       ignore new line characters during decode.
* encoding/base64: ignore new line characters during decode.
* encoding/gob: document CommonType.
* encoding/hex: canonicalize error type names.
* encoding/json: call (*T).MarshalJSON for addressable T values.
* encoding/xml: fix decoding of xml.Name with sub-elements (thanks
Gustavo Niemeyer),
       fix documentation for Decoder.Skip.
* exp/norm: Added some benchmarks for form-specific performance measurements,
       a few minor changes in prepration for a table format change.
* expvar: revise API.
* fix: add image/{bmp,tiff} to go1pkgrename.
* flag: allow a FlagSet to not write to os.Stderr,
       describe valid input for Duration flags.
* fmt: add test of NaN map keys,
       fix caching bug in Scan.
* go/build: put a space between 'generated by make' and package statement,
       update syslist.go package comment.
* go/doc: fix URL linking in ToHTML (thanks Gary Burd),
       added error, rune to list of predeclared types,
       don't lose factory functions of non-exported types,
       don't show methods of exported anonymous fields,
       enable AllMethods flag (and fix logic).
* go/printer: don't print incorrect programs.
* go/scanner: idiomatic receiver names.
* go/spec: update language on map types.
* go/token: remove dependency on encoding/gob.
* gob: fuzz testing, plus a fix for very large type names.
* gobuilder: use go tool to build and test sub-repositories.
* godoc: add URL mode m=methods,
       diagnostic for empty FS tree,
       fix identifier search,
       fix redirect loop for URL "/",
       provide link to subdirectories, if any,
       sort list of "other packages",
       update metadata in appinit.go.
* gophertool: fix link to the build status dashboard (thanks Jongmin Kim).
* hgignore: add VERSION.cache (thanks Gustavo Niemeyer),
       delete dregs, ignore tmpltohtml.
* html: add package doc.
* image: add package docs, rename s/UnknownFormatError/ErrFormat/ and,
       delete the image.Repeated type,
       remove image/bmp and image/tiff from std.
* io/ioutil: document EOF behavior in ReadFile and ReadAll.
* io: API tweaks.
* libmach: add stubs for Plan 9 (thanks Anthony Martin).
* make.bash: don't remove hgpatch.
* math/big: add raw access to Int bits,
       API and documentation cleanup.
* misc/goplay: use go tool "run" (thanks Olivier Duperray).
* misc/osx: don't set GOROOT or modify profile files,
       update for dist tool, drop image.bash, update readme.
* net, syscall: add IPv4 multicast helpers for windows (thanks Mikio Hara).
* net/http/httputil: fix race in DumpRequestOut,
       preserve query params in reverse proxy.
* net/http: don't set Content-Type header for HEAD requests by default
(thanks Patrick Mylund Nielsen),
       fix nil pointer dereference in error case (thanks Volker Dobler),
       close client fd sooner on response read error,
       set cookies in client jar on POST requests (thanks Volker Dobler).
* net/rpc: fix data race on Call.Error.
* net: ListenMulticastUDP to listen concurrently across multiple
listeners (thanks Mikio Hara),
       disable normal multicast testing on linux/arm (thanks Mikio Hara),
       fix Plan 9 build (thanks Anthony Martin),
       fix windows build (thanks Alex Brainman),
       move DNSConfigError to a portable file,
       remove types InvalidConnError and UnknownSocketError,
       replace error variable name e, errno with err (thanks Mikio Hara),
       run TestDialTimeout on windows (thanks Alex Brainman),
       update comments to remove redundant "net" prefix (thanks Mikio Hara).
* os/exec: TestExtraFiles - close any leaked file descriptors,
       make sure file is not closed early in leaked fd test.
* os/signal: move to exp/signal.
* os/user: windows implementation (thanks Alex Brainman).
* os: Process.handle use syscall.Handle (thanks Wei Guangjing),
       file windows use syscall.InvalidHandle instead of -1 (thanks
Wei Guangjing),
       remove SIGXXX signals variables,
       turn FileStat.Sys into a method on FileInfo (thanks Gustavo Niemeyer).
* path/filepath: repair and simplify the symlink test.
* reflect: add comment about Type.Field allocation,
       test that PtrTo returns types that match program types.
* runtime: add runtime.cputicks() and seed fastrand with it (thanks
Damian Gryski),
       delete UpdateMemStats, replace with ReadMemStats(&stats) (thanks Rémy
Oudompheng),
       fix float64 hash,
       use GOTRACEBACK to decide whether to show runtime frames,
       use per-map hash seeds (thanks Damian Gryski).
* spec: add number to the fibonacci sequence.
* std: add struct field tags to untagged literals.
* strings: add Fields example.
* syscall: add Timeval.Nano, Timespec.Nano, for conversion to Duration,
       cache environment variables on Plan 9 (thanks Anthony Martin),
       fix // +build comments in types_*.go,
       fix build directive in types_linux.go,
       update bootstrap scripts to sync with new go command (thanks Mikio Hara).
* test: add import test that caused an incorrect gccgo error,
       add test for receiver named _,
       add test of NaN in map,
       add test which crashed gccgo compiler,
       don't use package main for files without a main function,
       fix bug headers,
       float to integer test case,
       make map nan timing test more robust,
       match gccgo error messages,
       test append with two different named types with same element type,
       test method expressions with parameters, and with import,
       test slice beyond len,
       test that x := <-c accepts a general expression.
* testing: capture panics, present them, and mark the test as a failure.
* unicode: document large var blocks and the SpecialCase vars.
* vet: add a check for untagged struct literals.

Apologies if we missed anyone in the list above. We appreciate all your help.

To see a full list of changes between this and the previous weekly,
after updating, run:
 hg log -r weekly.2012-01-27:weekly.2012-02-07

Enjoy.

Andrew

AllenDang

Feb 8, 2012, 1:32:19 AM2/8/12
to golang-nuts
How to build this release under windows? I noticed that new build
script "all.bat", "make.bat" is available, but how to use them? Direct
invocation doesn't work.

Sammi Song

Feb 8, 2012, 1:37:00 AM2/8/12
to AllenDang, golang-nuts
It seems Makefile stop working.

Sammi-Songs-MacBook-Pro:model songyunhui2008$ make
Makefile:1: /Users/songyunhui2008/go/src/Make.inc: No such file or directory
Makefile:10: /Users/songyunhui2008/go/src/Make.pkg: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `/Users/songyunhui2008/go/src/Make.pkg'.  Stop.

How can I build my package then?

Thanks,
Sammi

Russ Cox

Feb 8, 2012, 1:37:05 AM2/8/12
to AllenDang, golang-nuts
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 01:32, AllenDang <alle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How to build this release under windows? I noticed that new build
> script "all.bat", "make.bat" is available, but how to use them? Direct
> invocation doesn't work.

Can you say what happens?
It is supposed to work.

Russ

brainman

Feb 8, 2012, 1:46:59 AM2/8/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
You need mingw gcc.exe in your PATH. Mine is in c:\mingw\bin. So

set PATH=%PATH%;c:\mingw\bin

then run all.bat.

Alex

Dimitris Dinodimos

Feb 8, 2012, 2:07:44 AM2/8/12
to golang-nuts
Failed to compile in snow leopard (runtime/mem_darwin.c:27 name not
declared: MADV_FREE).

uname -a
Darwin leopard.local 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7
16:33:36 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

./make.bash
# Building C bootstrap tool.

# Building compilers and Go bootstrap tool.
lib9
libbio
libmach
cmd/cov
cmd/nm
cmd/pack
cmd/prof
cmd/cc
cmd/gc
cmd/6l
cmd/6a
cmd/6c
cmd/6g
pkg/runtime
/Users/din/go/src/pkg/runtime/mem_darwin.c:27 name not declared:
MADV_FREE
go tool dist: FAILED: /Users/din/go/bin/tool/6c -FVw -I $WORK -
DGOOS_darwin -DGOARCH_darwin -o $WORK/mem_darwin.o /Users/din/go/src/
pkg/runtime/mem_darwin.c
>        test method expressions with parameters, and with...
>
> read more »

AllenDang

Feb 8, 2012, 2:14:50 AM2/8/12
to golang-nuts
Thanks! It works!

Dimitris Dinodimos

Feb 8, 2012, 2:34:27 AM2/8/12
to golang-nuts
It works fine in a clean repository.

> read more »

Dustin

Feb 8, 2012, 2:39:00 AM2/8/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, AllenDang

On Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:37:00 PM UTC-8, Sammi wrote:
It seems Makefile stop working.

Sammi-Songs-MacBook-Pro:model songyunhui2008$ make
Makefile:1: /Users/songyunhui2008/go/src/Make.inc: No such file or directory
Makefile:10: /Users/songyunhui2008/go/src/Make.pkg: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `/Users/songyunhui2008/go/src/Make.pkg'.  Stop.

How can I build my package then?

  I just switched a bunch of my projects over to the new "go" tool.  I've decided it's not as horrible as I originally imagined it being.  Once I got over the "my source is in a different directory than I'm used to" thing, it's all fine.

Archos

Feb 8, 2012, 3:35:07 AM2/8/12
to golang-nuts
Where is the package "encoding/git85" ?
>        test method expressions with parameters, and with ...
>
> read more »

David Symonds

Feb 8, 2012, 3:37:43 AM2/8/12
to Archos, golang-nuts
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Archos <raul...@sent.com> wrote:

> Where is the package "encoding/git85" ?

Read the previous weekly notes:
http://weekly.golang.org/doc/devel/weekly.html#2012-01-27

Dave.

Sanjay Menakuru

Feb 8, 2012, 3:40:18 AM2/8/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
"code.google.com/p/go.codereview/git85" is the new import path.

Sanjay

Archos

Feb 8, 2012, 3:51:19 AM2/8/12
to golang-nuts

chris dollin

Feb 8, 2012, 4:05:13 AM2/8/12
to Archos, golang-nuts

Worked for me (Linux, FC14, AMD64).

Chris

(for values of "worked" which mean "command took noticable time,
did not generate any reports, and a ./pkg/code.google.com/p/go.codereview/git85
directory materialised.)

--
Chris "allusive" Dollin

Archos

Feb 8, 2012, 4:13:38 AM2/8/12
to golang-nuts
It faills when is installed from a proxy

Archos

Feb 8, 2012, 4:26:44 AM2/8/12
to golang-nuts
It has been also removed a function from "encoding/binary":
TotalSize()
Any confirmation about it?

On Feb 8, 8:51 am, Archos <raul....@sent.com> wrote:
> $ go get code.google.com/p/go.codereview/git85
> code.google.com/p/go.codereview/git85: Gethttps://code.google.com/p/go/source/checkout?repo=codereview:invalid

Sanjay Menakuru

Feb 8, 2012, 4:45:32 AM2/8/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Yep, https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/golang-dev/qai3sK47Xvo

Must have just slipped through while this was being tagged.

Sanjay

Alexander Sychev

Feb 8, 2012, 4:53:08 AM2/8/12
to Andrew Gerrand, golang-nuts
Hello!

The new weekly is not compiled on linux-x86_64:

# Building C bootstrap tool.

# Building compilers and Go bootstrap tool.
lib9
libbio
libmach
cmd/cov
cmd/nm
cmd/pack
cmd/prof
cmd/cc
cmd/gc
cmd/6l
cmd/6a
cmd/6c
cmd/6g
pkg/runtime
/home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_linux_amd64.go:7: lock redeclared in this block
        previous declaration at /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go:9
/home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_linux_amd64.go:12: note redeclared in this block
        previous declaration at /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go:32
/home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_linux_amd64.go:17: _string redeclared in this block
        previous declaration at /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go:38
/home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_linux_amd64.go:22: iface redeclared in this block
        previous declaration at /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go:43
/home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_linux_amd64.go:27: eface redeclared in this block
        previous declaration at /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go:48
/home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_linux_amd64.go:32: _complex64 redeclared in this block
        previous declaration at /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go:53
/home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_linux_amd64.go:37: _complex128 redeclared in this block
        previous declaration at /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go:58
/home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_linux_amd64.go:42: slice redeclared in this block
        previous declaration at /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go:63
/home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_linux_amd64.go:48: gobuf redeclared in this block
        previous declaration at /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go:69
/home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_linux_amd64.go:54: g redeclared in this block
        previous declaration at /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go:75
/home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_linux_amd64.go:54: too many errors
go tool dist: FAILED: /home/santucco/go/bin/tool/6g -o $WORK/_go_.6 -p runtime -+ /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/debug.go /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/error.go /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/extern.go /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/mem.go /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/sig.go /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/softfloat64.go /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/type.go /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/zgoarch_amd64.go /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/zgoos_linux.go /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_linux_amd64.go /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/zversion.go

santucco@santucco ~/go/src $ hg identify
52ba9506bd99 weekly/weekly.2012-02-07

Best regards,
  santucco

Archos

Feb 8, 2012, 5:32:09 AM2/8/12
to golang-nuts

Archos

Feb 8, 2012, 6:05:50 AM2/8/12
to golang-nuts
At testing one of my packages, I get this error related to cgo:

// ==
// #include <termios.h>
// #include <unistd.h>
import "C"

var origTermios *termios
var stdin = 0

func init() {
origTermios = newTermios(stdin)

if err := origTermios.tcgetattr(); err != nil {
panic("terminal settings could not be got: " + err.Error())
}
}

type termios struct {
fd int // File descriptor
wrap *_Ctype_struct_termios
}

func newTermios(fd int) *termios {
return &termios{fd, new(_Ctype_struct_termios)}
}
// ==

panic: terminal settings could not be got: inappropriate ioctl for
device

Any idea about why is failiing?

On Feb 8, 6:12 am, Andrew Gerrand <a...@golang.org> wrote:
>        test method expressions with parameters, and with ...
>
> read more »

Russel Winder

Feb 8, 2012, 7:58:36 AM2/8/12
to Andrew Gerrand, golang-nuts
On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 17:12 +1100, Andrew Gerrand wrote:
[...]

> Only the go, godoc, and gofmt tools are installed to $GOROOT/bin (or $GOBIN).
> The remainder are installed to $GOROOT/bin/tool.
> This puts the lesser-used tools (6g, cgo, govet, etc.) outside the user PATH.
> Instead these tools may be called through the go tool with 'go tool command'.
> For example, to vet hello.go you would type 'go tool vet hello.go'.
> Type 'go tool' see the list of available tools.
[...]

It seems that if I set GOBIN to $GOROOT/bin_Linux_x86_64 the tools still
go into $GOROOT/bin/tool. This means it is impossible to have multiple
platforms use the same source tree.

Unless I have just done the build wrong.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel...@ekiga.net

signature.asc

Roberto Costumero Moreno

Feb 8, 2012, 8:06:58 AM2/8/12
to Russel Winder, Andrew Gerrand, golang-nuts
Failed to install on Mac OS Lion 64 bits, as seems to be the same problem on Linux Alexander had.

# Building C bootstrap tool.

# Building compilers and Go bootstrap tool.
lib9
libbio
libmach
cmd/cov
cmd/nm
cmd/pack
cmd/prof
cmd/cc
cmd/gc
cmd/6l
cmd/6a
cmd/6c
cmd/6g
pkg/runtime
/Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/zgoarch_amd64.go:5: theGoarch redeclared in this block
previous declaration at /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/version_amd64.go:2
/Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/zgoos_darwin.go:5: theGoos redeclared in this block
previous declaration at /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/version_darwin.go:2
/Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_darwin_amd64.go:7: lock redeclared in this block
previous declaration at /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go:9
/Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_darwin_amd64.go:12: note redeclared in this block
previous declaration at /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go:14
/Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_darwin_amd64.go:17: _string redeclared in this block
previous declaration at /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go:19
/Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_darwin_amd64.go:22: iface redeclared in this block
previous declaration at /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go:24
/Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_darwin_amd64.go:27: eface redeclared in this block
previous declaration at /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go:29
/Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_darwin_amd64.go:32: _complex64 redeclared in this block
previous declaration at /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go:34
/Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_darwin_amd64.go:37: _complex128 redeclared in this block
previous declaration at /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go:39
/Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_darwin_amd64.go:42: slice redeclared in this block
previous declaration at /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go:44
/Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_darwin_amd64.go:42: too many errors
go tool dist: FAILED: /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/bin/tool/6g -o $WORK/_go_.6 -p runtime -+ /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/debug.go /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/error.go /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/extern.go /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/mem.go /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/sig.go /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/softfloat64.go /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/type.go /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/version.go /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/version_amd64.go /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/version_darwin.go /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/zgoarch_amd64.go /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/zgoos_darwin.go /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_darwin_amd64.go /Users/roberto/Programacion/Go/source/src/pkg/runtime/zversion.go

$ hg identify
52ba9506bd99 weekly/weekly.2012-02-07

--

Roberto Costumero

Sebastian Schlingmann

Feb 8, 2012, 8:38:13 AM2/8/12
to golang-nuts
As I switched some of my code to the directory structure of the new go
tool I discovered some odd behaviour:
I wrote a small Makefile for my code which essentially contains:

GOPATH = $(CURDIR)

all:
go install client

When GOPATH is not set "make" throws a "can't load package: client:
package could not be found locally" error.
If I export GOPATH="" make runs just fine. So the go tool seems to
behave differently if GOPATH is not set and setting GOPATH to some
nonsense value is enough to change the behaviour.

Jan Mercl

Feb 8, 2012, 8:40:48 AM2/8/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, February 8, 2012 7:12:12 AM UTC+1, Andrew Gerrand wrote:
We've just tagged a new Go weekly, weekly.2012-02-07.

I would like someone to confirm either my incorrect setup or a minor bug in this weekly godoc and/or doc tool(s):

$ env | grep GO
GOBIN=/home/jnml/bin
GOROOT=/home/jnml/go
GOPATH=/home/jnml
$ ls /home/jnml/src/cznic/strutil/strutil.go
/home/jnml/src/cznic/strutil/strutil.go
$ go list cznic/strutil # <---- import path reported correctly
cznic/strutil
$ go doc cznic/strutil | head # <---- import path reported correctly
PACKAGE

package strutil
    import "cznic/strutil"

    Package strutil collects utils supplemental to the standard strings
    package.

FUNCTIONS

2012/02/08 14:19:47 packageText.Execute: template: package.txt:37: write /dev/stdout: broken pipe
$ godoc cznic/strutil | head # <---- import path reported correctly
PACKAGE

package strutil
    import "cznic/strutil"

    Package strutil collects utils supplemental to the standard strings
    package.

FUNCTIONS

2012/02/08 14:20:02 packageText.Execute: template: package.txt:37: write /dev/stdout: broken pipe
$ godoc -http=:6060

... and in the browser the import path is not correct, IIUC all the new things about $GOPATH.

Package strutil

import "src/cznic/strutil"

Also note the two 'broken pipe' errors.

TIA for feedback.

Russ Cox

Feb 8, 2012, 8:45:25 AM2/8/12
to Sebastian Schlingmann, golang-nuts

Please see the mail I posted to golang-nuts yesterday about
the go command. $GOPATH needs to be set to the root of
your work tree, not to the directory containing one specific package.

Russ

Russ Cox

Feb 8, 2012, 8:46:17 AM2/8/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 08:40, Jan Mercl <jan....@nic.cz> wrote:
> I would like someone to confirm either my incorrect setup or a minor bug in
> this weekly godoc and/or doc tool(s):

Yes, it's a bug. See issue 2234.

Russ

Russ Cox

Feb 8, 2012, 8:47:01 AM2/8/12
to Roberto Costumero Moreno, Russel Winder, Andrew Gerrand, golang-nuts
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 08:06, Roberto Costumero Moreno
<rob...@costumero.es> wrote:
> Failed to install on Mac OS Lion 64 bits, as seems to be the same problem on
> Linux Alexander had.

It looks like you have stale files in your src/pkg/runtime directory.
The easiest fix is probably
cd $GOROOT/src/pkg/runtime
rm *
hg revert .

Russ

Russ Cox

Feb 8, 2012, 8:49:32 AM2/8/12
to Archos, golang-nuts
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 06:05, Archos <raul...@sent.com> wrote:
> At testing one of my packages,  I get this error related to cgo:

Is this happening during 'go test'?
The old testing framework may have run tests with
standard input connected to your terminal, but the
new 'go test' runs tests with standard input connected
to /dev/null. Your tcgetattr is failing because it is
querying standard input as if it were a terminal,
but it is not. This is a bug in your code: it should
not insist that standard input be a terminal.

Russ

Russ Cox

Feb 8, 2012, 8:51:20 AM2/8/12
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 07:58, Russel Winder <rus...@russel.org.uk> wrote:
> It seems that if I set GOBIN to $GOROOT/bin_Linux_x86_64 the tools still
> go into $GOROOT/bin/tool.  This means it is impossible to have multiple
> platforms use the same source tree.
>
> Unless I have just done the build wrong.

You're absolutely right. I've created issue 2920.

Russ

Sebastian Schlingmann

Feb 8, 2012, 8:53:01 AM2/8/12
to golang-nuts
Yes, I know. But I wrote the Makefile as a workaround to putting all
my go code in specific directories which just does not work well with
my current directory setup. I have the required directory structure
inside the directory where the Makefile resides. So the Makefile sets
the GOPATH variable to the root of my work tree of the specific
project I'm currently trying to compile.

Jan Mercl

Feb 8, 2012, 8:55:05 AM2/8/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:46:17 PM UTC+1, Russ Cox wrote:

Yes, it's a bug.  See issue 2234.

Russ

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm sorry I've failed to find it's already reported even though I tried to do so.

Russ Cox

Feb 8, 2012, 8:58:02 AM2/8/12
to Sebastian Schlingmann, golang-nuts
Aha, now I understand what you are asking.

> When GOPATH is not set "make" throws a "can't load package: client:
> package could not be found locally" error.

This would happen because if $GOPATH is not set, it looks in
$GOROOT/src/pkg/client (which I assume does not exist) and
then gives up.

> If I export GOPATH="" make runs just fine.

This sounds like a bug, like go it is treating GOPATH="" like GOPATH=.
However, I cannot reproduce this. Can you reproduce this behavior
outside of make? If so, can you compare the output of 'go list -e -json client'
in the working case against the shouldn't-be-working-but-is case?

Thanks.
Russ

Mark Summerfield

Feb 8, 2012, 9:05:24 AM2/8/12
to golang-nuts

I tried installing & building Go weekly from fresh on Mac OS 10.5.4
32-bit and it failed:

$ hg clone -u weekly https://go.googlecode.com/hg/ go
requesting all changes
adding changesets
adding manifests
adding file changes
added 11777 changesets with 44953 changes to 6234 files (+4 heads)
updating to branch default
3211 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved
$ cd go/src/
$ ./all.bash

# Building C bootstrap tool.

# Building compilers and Go bootstrap tool.
lib9
libbio
libmach
cmd/cov

ld warning: in /Users/mark/opt/go/pkg/obj/cmd/cov/main.o, file is not of required architecture
ld warning: in /Users/mark/opt/go/pkg/obj/cmd/cov/tree.o, file is not of required architecture
ld warning: in /Users/mark/opt/go/pkg/obj/libmach.a, file is not of required architecture
ld warning: in /Users/mark/opt/go/pkg/obj/libbio.a, file is not of required architecture
ld warning: in /Users/mark/opt/go/pkg/obj/lib9.a, file is not of required architecture
Undefined symbols:
"_main", referenced from:
start in crt1.10.5.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
go tool dist: FAILED: gcc -o /Users/mark/opt/go/bin/tool/cov /Users/mark/opt/go/pkg/obj/cmd/cov/main.o /Users/mark/opt/go/pkg/obj/cmd/cov/tree.o /Users/mark/opt/go/pkg/obj/libmach.a /Users/mark/opt/go/pkg/obj/libbio.a /Users/mark/opt/go/pkg/obj/lib9.a -lm

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy

Ian Lance Taylor

Feb 8, 2012, 9:06:20 AM2/8/12
to Alexander Sychev, Andrew Gerrand, golang-nuts
Alexander Sychev <sant...@gmail.com> writes:

> /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/zruntime_defs_linux_amd64.go:7: lock
> redeclared in this block
> previous declaration at
> /home/santucco/go/src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go:9

The file src/pkg/runtime/runtime_defs.go was removed from the master
repository over a year ago. Delete it from your copy.

Ian

Alexander Sychev

Feb 8, 2012, 6:27:38 AM2/8/12
to Dave Cheney, golan...@googlegroups.com
It helps, thank you.
I have thought hg --clean is enough :-)

--
Best regards,

Alexander Sychev
Senior Developer
Kaspersky Lab

10/1, 1st Volokolamsky Proezd
Moscow 123060
Russia

Alexande...@kaspersky.com
T/F: +7 495 797 87 00
D: +7 495 797 87 00 x1371
M: +7 916 967 63 93

www.kaspersky.com
www.securelist.com

Sebastian Schlingmann

Feb 8, 2012, 9:09:32 AM2/8/12
to Russ Cox, golang-nuts
Seems to be make specific. I could not reproduce this outside of make. So
this seems to be no go bug but one of the many make oddities.
Thanks for your help

Mark Summerfield

Feb 8, 2012, 9:13:53 AM2/8/12
to golang-nuts
On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 14:05:24 +0000
Mark Summerfield <li...@qtrac.plus.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 08:47:01 -0500
> Russ Cox <r...@golang.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 08:06, Roberto Costumero Moreno
> > <rob...@costumero.es> wrote:
> > > Failed to install on Mac OS Lion 64 bits, as seems to be the same
> > > problem on Linux Alexander had.
> >
> > It looks like you have stale files in your src/pkg/runtime
> > directory. The easiest fix is probably
> > cd $GOROOT/src/pkg/runtime
> > rm *
> > hg revert .
>
> I tried installing & building Go weekly from fresh on Mac OS 10.5.4
> 32-bit and it failed:

I forgot to mention that it builds perfectly with weekly-2012-01-27.

[snip]

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy

"Programming in Python 3" - ISBN 0321680561
http://www.qtrac.eu/py3book.html

Russ Cox

Feb 8, 2012, 9:15:41 AM2/8/12
to Mark Summerfield, golang-nuts
It sounds like we are forcing a particular architecture
during the build that is inappropriate on your machine.
I can see you have a Mac. What does
sysctl machdep.cpu.extfeatures
file /Users/mark/opt/go/pkg/obj/cmd/cov/main.o
print?

Thanks.
Russ

Mark Summerfield

Feb 8, 2012, 9:25:11 AM2/8/12
to r...@golang.org, golang-nuts

machdep.cpu.extfeatures: XD EM64T
/Users/mark/opt/go/pkg/obj/cmd/cov/main.o: Mach-O 64-bit object x86_64

BTW My Mac is 10.5.8 (not 10.5.4). And I don't actually know if it is
32-bit or 64-bit (I only bought it for cross-platform testing; don't
actually use it).

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy

Russ Cox

Feb 8, 2012, 10:39:55 AM2/8/12
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 09:25, Mark Summerfield <li...@qtrac.plus.com> wrote:
> machdep.cpu.extfeatures: XD EM64T
> /Users/mark/opt/go/pkg/obj/cmd/cov/main.o: Mach-O 64-bit object x86_64
>
> BTW My Mac is 10.5.8 (not 10.5.4). And I don't actually know if it is
> 32-bit or 64-bit (I only bought it for cross-platform testing; don't
> actually use it).

Sorry about this: we are passing different arguments to the compiler
and linker during the bootstrap phase, and it only seems to matter
on older Macs that are 64-bit but default to 32-bit compilation.
http://codereview.appspot.com/5646053 will fix this.

Russ

Roberto Costumero Moreno

Feb 8, 2012, 12:39:21 PM2/8/12
to r...@golang.org, Russel Winder, Andrew Gerrand, golang-nuts
Yes, that fixes the error. Let rm * be rm -r * to delete all subdirectories as in my case it failed if didn't deleted some of them.

Thanks Russ.

Archos

Feb 8, 2012, 1:20:50 PM2/8/12
to golang-nuts
Sorry for my late answer but it has been a hard day because I've got
many broken packages with this release.

I installed the anterior weekly but I'd the same failure so I tried
with gotest but I need the Makefile that I'd deleted; I added and it
works ok so the problem is that go test/install doesn't works for cgo
programs:

CGOFILES=\
control.go\

GOFILES=\
def_$(GOOS).go\
util.go\
winsize.go\

Russ Cox

Feb 8, 2012, 1:35:35 PM2/8/12
to Archos, golang-nuts
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 13:20, Archos <raul...@sent.com> wrote:
> I installed the anterior weekly but I'd the same failure so I tried
> with gotest but I need the Makefile that I'd deleted; I added and it
> works ok so the problem is that go test/install doesn't works for cgo
> programs:

It works fine for cgo programs. Package net is a cgo program.
It doesn't work fine for programs that require standard input
to be connected to something other than /dev/null.

Russ

Archos

Feb 8, 2012, 1:39:44 PM2/8/12
to golang-nuts

On Feb 8, 6:35 pm, Russ Cox <r...@golang.org> wrote:
I thought that it could be because go tool had not in mind specific
files for a system: def_$(GOOS).go

Russ Cox

Feb 8, 2012, 1:54:14 PM2/8/12
to Archos, golang-nuts
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 13:39, Archos <raul...@sent.com> wrote:
> I thought that it could be because go tool had not in mind specific
> files for a system: def_$(GOOS).go

What error are you seeing when you try to run the test?
You showed us a snippet of a Makefile that you can't
possibly be using anymore, but nothing about what is
actually going wrong.

Russ

Archos

Feb 8, 2012, 1:57:50 PM2/8/12
to golang-nuts
$ go test
FAIL Go-Term/term 0.007s
panic: terminal settings could not be got: inappropriate ioctl for
device

goroutine 1 [running]:
Go-Term/term.init·1()
/tmp/go-build016801758/Go-Term/term/_test/control.cgo1.go:-118 +0x115
Go-Term/term.init()
/tmp/go-build016801758/Go-Term/term/_test/control.cgo1.go:3 +0x89
main.init()
/tmp/go-build016801758/Go-Term/term/_test/_testmain.go:26 +0x3b

goroutine 2 [syscall]:
os/signal.process(0xf840001960, 0x0)
/var/tmp/go/src/pkg/os/signal/signal.go:21 +0x1c
created by os/signal.init·1
/var/tmp/go/src/pkg/os/signal/signal.go:34 +0x52

// ==
This is the prorgam:
https://github.com/kless/Go-Term/tree/master/term

Gustavo Niemeyer

Feb 8, 2012, 2:18:34 PM2/8/12
to Archos, golang-nuts
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 16:57, Archos <raul...@sent.com> wrote:
> $ go test
> FAIL    Go-Term/term    0.007s
> panic: terminal settings could not be got: inappropriate ioctl for
> device

go test runs with /dev/null on standard input. /dev/null is not a terminal.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net

-- I'm not absolutely sure of anything.

Archos

Feb 8, 2012, 2:33:23 PM2/8/12
to golang-nuts
That said Russ Cox. But how can be fixed? Because I've several
programs using that library so that I cann't test them from now on.

On Feb 8, 7:18 pm, Gustavo Niemeyer <gust...@niemeyer.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 16:57, Archos <raul....@sent.com> wrote:
> > $ go test
> > FAIL    Go-Term/term    0.007s
> > panic: terminal settings could not be got: inappropriate ioctl for
> > device
>
> go test runs with /dev/null on standard input. /dev/null is not a terminal.
>
> --
> Gustavo Niemeyerhttp://niemeyer.nethttp://niemeyer.net/plushttp://niemeyer.net/twitterhttp://niemeyer.net/blog

Russ Cox

Feb 8, 2012, 2:35:53 PM2/8/12
to Archos, golang-nuts
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 14:33, Archos <raul...@sent.com> wrote:
> But how can be fixed?

Delete the line that says
panic("terminal settings could not be got: " + err.Error())

Archos

Feb 8, 2012, 6:09:14 PM2/8/12
to golang-nuts
Fixed!

On Feb 8, 7:33 pm, Archos <raul....@sent.com> wrote:
> That said Russ Cox. But how can be fixed? Because I've several
> programs using that library so that I cann't test them from now on.
>
> On Feb 8, 7:18 pm, Gustavo Niemeyer <gust...@niemeyer.net> wrote:
>

> > On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 16:57, Archos <raul....@sent.com> wrote:
> > > $ go test
> > > FAIL    Go-Term/term    0.007s
> > > panic: terminal settings could not be got: inappropriate ioctl for
> > > device
>
> > go test runs with /dev/null on standard input. /dev/null is not a terminal.
>
> > --
> > Gustavo Niemeyerhttp://niemeyer.nethttp://niemeyer.net/plushttp://niemeyer.net/twitte...

Alexander Sychev

Feb 9, 2012, 2:23:16 AM2/9/12
to Ian Lance Taylor, Andrew Gerrand, golang-nuts
Yes, I did it, thank you.
It seems the file was left after it was removed from the repository, but it was removed from Makefile too and is not compiled.
After migration to the new build utility it starts to be compiled again.

Mark Summerfield

Feb 9, 2012, 2:57:17 AM2/9/12
to r...@golang.org, golang-nuts

No problem: just to confirm---I did hg pull && hg update tip && cd src
&& ./all.bash and it built fine:-)

Thanks!

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy

Shawn Smith

Feb 9, 2012, 8:22:24 PM2/9/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
I am confused why you say 6g is lesser used.  It is the compiler, so basically to compile "prog.go", instead of

> 6g prog.go && 6l -o prog prog.6 && rm prog.6

I have to instead type

> go tool 6g prog.go && go tool 6l -o prog prog.6 && rm prog.6

Which seems demonstrably less convenient.

Brian Ketelsen

Feb 9, 2012, 8:24:38 PM2/9/12
to Shawn Smith, golan...@googlegroups.com
go build .

Accomplishes all of that.

Shawn Smith

Feb 9, 2012, 8:27:08 PM2/9/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Shawn Smith
I see. That is a lot nicer.  Leave it to me to do it the hard way for the past year.

Brian Ketelsen

Feb 9, 2012, 8:30:29 PM2/9/12
to Shawn Smith, golan...@googlegroups.com, Shawn Smith
Good news... That has only been around for a month or so. And I still don't know all of the go commands or what they do!

Regards,

Brian Ketelsen

Rob 'Commander' Pike

Feb 9, 2012, 8:56:01 PM2/9/12
to Brian Ketelsen, Shawn Smith, golan...@googlegroups.com
so does

go build

. is the default.

-rob

John Asmuth

Feb 9, 2012, 10:48:49 PM2/9/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Shawn Smith
You've been running 6g from the command line for a year? yeesh! I mean, we had makefiles since Go was introduced...!

Russ Cox

Feb 10, 2012, 11:49:49 AM2/10/12
to John Asmuth, golan...@googlegroups.com, Shawn Smith
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 22:48, John Asmuth <jas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You've been running 6g from the command line for a year? yeesh!

I run 6g from the command line every day. There's nothing wrong with that.

Russ

Robert Straw

Feb 23, 2012, 1:03:17 PM2/23/12
to golang-nuts
Try it on a clean copy of the repository.
I had similar issues on OS X Lion (x64) 10.7.3

There seem to be some files that become untracked by the weekly branch
but stay in the working directory.

The error is exactly as it describes, the untracked files are being
included in the build (the runtime_defs) are redeclaring a lot of
variables.

Just do a fresh clone and you should be fine :-)