OS X Lion

Brian Ketelsen

Jul 5, 2011, 1:00:40 PM7/5/11
to golang-nuts
Just as an FYI, Lion GM with Xcode 4.1 Developer Preview 7 has the same "egrep: Regular expression too big" error as previous versions.

Brian

Brian Ketelsen

Jul 5, 2011, 1:09:11 PM7/5/11
to golang-nuts

On Jul 5, 1:00 pm, Brian Ketelsen <bketel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just as an FYI, Lion GM with Xcode 4.1 Developer Preview 7 has the same "egrep: Regular expression too big" error as previous versions.
>
> Brian

And for the record, going to the 32bit egrep still fixes the egrep
problem, and installation fails with this:

INSTALL FAIL net
CGOPKGPATH= cgo -- cgo_bsd.go cgo_unix.go
touch _obj/_cgo_run
6g -o _go_.6 dial.go dnsmsg.go fd_darwin.go hosts.go interface.go
ip.go ipsock.go iprawsock.go lookup.go net.go parse.go pipe.go sock.go
tcpsock.go udpsock.go unixsock.go dnsclient.go dnsconfig.go fd.go
file.go interface_bsd.go newpollserver.go port.go sendfile_stub.go
sock_bsd.go _obj/cgo_bsd.cgo1.go _obj/cgo_unix.cgo1.go _obj/
_cgo_gotypes.go
6c -FVw -I/Users/bketelsen/Projects/go/pkg/darwin_amd64 -I . -o
"_cgo_defun.6" _obj/_cgo_defun.c
gcc -m64 -I . -g -fPIC -O2 -o _cgo_main.o -c _obj/_cgo_main.c
gcc -m64 -I . -g -fPIC -O2 -o cgo_bsd.cgo2.o -c _obj/cgo_bsd.cgo2.c
gcc -m64 -I . -g -fPIC -O2 -o cgo_unix.cgo2.o -c _obj/
cgo_unix.cgo2.c
gcc -m64 -I . -g -fPIC -O2 -o _cgo_export.o -c _obj/_cgo_export.c
gcc -m64 -g -fPIC -O2 -o _cgo1_.o _cgo_main.o cgo_bsd.cgo2.o
cgo_unix.cgo2.o _cgo_export.o
cgo -dynimport _cgo1_.o >_obj/_cgo_import.c_ && mv -f _obj/
_cgo_import.c_ _obj/_cgo_import.c
6c -FVw -I . -o "_cgo_import.6" _obj/_cgo_import.c
cgo_bsd.go:5[_obj/cgo_bsd.cgo1.go:8]: undefined: _Cconst_AI_MASK
cgo_unix.go:69[_obj/cgo_unix.cgo1.go:72]: undefined: _Cconst_AI_ALL
cgo_unix.go:69[_obj/cgo_unix.cgo1.go:72]: undefined:
_Cconst_AI_V4MAPPED
cgo_unix.go:69[_obj/cgo_unix.cgo1.go:72]: undefined:
_Cconst_AI_CANONNAME
make[1]: *** [_go_.6] Error 1
make: *** [net.install] Error 1

Andrew Gerrand

Jul 5, 2011, 8:18:22 PM7/5/11
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Is this the release or weekly?

Andrew

Brian Ketelsen

Jul 5, 2011, 10:27:33 PM7/5/11
to golan...@googlegroups.com

On Jul 5, 2011, at 8:18 PM, Andrew Gerrand wrote:

> Is this the release or weekly?
>
> Andrew

Release 58 fails to build with the known darwin error. The patch for that was committed 6/13, I think. Weekly (whatever the latest was -- 06/23 I think) builds but only after stripping the 64 bit egrep out of the egrep binary that ships with Lion. Having the weekly release working with just a minor work-around is a great step. I know the egrep issue has been filed with Apple already.

Brian

smallfish

Jul 6, 2011, 7:57:24 AM7/6/11
to golan...@googlegroups.com
yes, the last error has: not found "bytes" "fmt" ...

Russ Cox

Jul 11, 2011, 4:03:56 PM7/11/11
to Brian Ketelsen, golang-nuts
On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 10:00, Brian Ketelsen <bket...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just as an FYI, Lion GM with Xcode 4.1 Developer Preview 7
> has the same "egrep: Regular expression too big" error as previous versions.
>
> Weekly (whatever the latest was -- 06/23 I think) builds but only after
> stripping the 64 bit egrep out of the egrep binary that ships with Lion.

Are you sure?

changeset: 8779:655a4be3968f
user: Russ Cox <r...@golang.org>
date: Thu Jun 16 00:04:24 2011 -0400
summary: build: use awk instead of giant egrep regexp

changeset: 8788:0905a2ca94c6
user: Russ Cox <r...@golang.org>
date: Thu Jun 16 11:10:31 2011 -0400
summary: runtime/cgo: fix for OS X 10.7

should both be in the last two weekly tags.

If you are seeing an egrep error I'd like to see more
details, since it shouldn't be the one fixed in 8779.

Russ

Brian Ketelsen

Jul 11, 2011, 4:15:04 PM7/11/11
to r...@golang.org, golang-nuts

I didn't replace my stripped egrep after failing the build for r58. Let me do that quickly.

Chapterhouse:go bketelsen$ hg ident
16bfa562ba76 weekly/weekly.2011-07-07

Chapterhouse:go bketelsen$ file /usr/bin/egrep
/usr/bin/egrep: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/usr/bin/egrep (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
/usr/bin/egrep (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386

weekly-07-07 gives no egrep errors with the fat binary. So I should have replaced that stripped binary with the original before creating any mailing list noise. *Sorry*

R58 fails with egrep errors and the known cgo errors.

Weekly 0707 succeeds with no errors. This is the Lion early release known as "GM" and Xcode 4.1 DP7

Brian

Russ Cox

Jul 11, 2011, 4:51:06 PM7/11/11
to Brian Ketelsen, golang-nuts
We should probably backport those two fixes to r58.
Thanks for reminding us.

Russ

David Leimbach

Jul 11, 2011, 8:31:06 PM7/11/11
to golang-nuts
FYI, the weekly release works fine here... Tested several of my own Go
code projects to build and run correctly.

andrey mirtchovski

Jul 20, 2011, 4:03:29 PM7/20/11
to golang-nuts
I can report successful compilation at "tip" on OS X Lion 10.7 (the
just-released version, not the developer preview). compiled using
Xcode (4.1).

Bjorn Tipling

Aug 14, 2011, 9:44:21 PM8/14/11
to golang-nuts
The master branch or whatever it's called in hg doesn't build on OS X
Lion (Xcode 4.1) but after I type 'hg update weekly' everything builds
and tests ok.

David Symonds

Aug 14, 2011, 9:46:01 PM8/14/11
to Bjorn Tipling, golang-nuts
On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Bjorn Tipling <bjorn....@gmail.com> wrote:

> The master branch or whatever it's called in hg doesn't build on OS X
> Lion (Xcode 4.1) but after I type 'hg update weekly' everything builds
> and tests ok.

What's the build failure?

Bjorn Tipling

Aug 14, 2011, 10:03:39 PM8/14/11
to golang-nuts
The same "egrep: Regular expression too big" and then a problem with
not being able to find the fmd package.

Bjorn Tipling

Aug 14, 2011, 10:04:13 PM8/14/11
to golang-nuts
I mean fmt, not fmd.

Bjorn Tipling

Aug 14, 2011, 11:32:09 PM8/14/11
to golang-nuts
Nevermind, I must have forgotten to pull.

After `hg pull -u; hg revert -r tip` everything built just fine.

Thanks.

Russ Cox

Aug 15, 2011, 10:58:06 AM8/15/11
to Bjorn Tipling, golang-nuts
Also, you don't need to use tip to get Lion support.
The 'release' branch works on OS X Lion (Xcode 4.1).

Russ

Kyle Lemons

Aug 15, 2011, 8:59:52 PM8/15/11
to r...@golang.org, Bjorn Tipling, golang-nuts
Also, you don't need to use tip to get Lion support.
The 'release' branch works on OS X Lion (Xcode 4.1).

The only thing that tripped me up was using the latest version of mercurial, which doesn't get along with codereview (at release), since the upgrade killed my old hg install.
~K

Russ Cox

Aug 16, 2011, 1:29:01 PM8/16/11
to Kyle Lemons, Bjorn Tipling, golang-nuts

Users don't install codereview.
That's a developer-only problem.