God 0.8.0 Released - Possibly fixes all memory leaks

Tom Werner

Nov 30, 2009, 2:44:08 PM11/30/09
to god.rb
I'm pleased to announce the release of God 0.8.0.

Over the last few months, Eric Lindvall has been instrumental in
tracking down bugs and memory leaks within God and helping to refine
the project. For his awesome contributions I have made him a core
committer to the project and he and I will work together to bring you
a better, less leaky God in the coming releases. Please join me in
congratulating him on his efforts and dedication to the project!

This release includes a variety of fixes for memory leaks that Eric
found using some great new profiling and inspection tools. I'll leave
it to Eric to go into detail on his findings and which tools he used
in the process.

It is possible that this release fixes the God memory leak problem,
however, I will wait until more people on more platforms have time to
test the release before claiming success. You can help out by
upgrading to 0.8.0 and letting us know if you cease to see memory leak
problems.

== 0.8.0 / 2009-11-30
* Minor Enhancements
* Rubygems decontamination
* Use Monitor instead of Mutex to provide ability to wait with a
timeout
* Only generate log messages when they're being used
* Remove usage of Thread.critical in DriverEventQueue
* Update to work with latest bleak-house
* Cache some frequent lookups to reduce object creation
* Changing the @io.print call in SimpleLogger to not concatenate
the formatted results before printing
* Bug fixes
* Make sure we don't leak hash slots when processes die
* Make sure the driver is shutdown on Task#unregister!
* Fix memory leak when issuing "god load" successfully
* Fix defunct process

== NOTE
At this point I will stop giving credit in the history. Look at the
author
and committer in the commit for that info.