don't mark as read automatically

jid...@jidanni.org

Aug 27, 2007, 4:52:49 PM8/27/07
How can one manipulate around the Summary buffer without marking
articles as read automatically? Yes I want to mark some articles as
read, but only explicitly via e.g.,
d runs the command gnus-summary-mark-as-read-forward

Anyway I have to use gnus-summary-clear-mark-forward lots these days:

I checked the code and the concept of marking things as read the
moment one sees them seems quite ingrained.

Imagine two boxes on your desk, "Inbox" and "Already processed".
Well, I'd like to poke around the Inbox without moving things to
Already processed without actively saying so.

Anyways, of the various states of an article, R O E etc., I don't want
the R to be automatic. Flags only set when I say so! (Except R
becoming O which I like.

P.S., the docstring of
(defun gnus-summary-scroll-up (lines)
"Scroll up (or down) one line current article.
Argument LINES specifies lines to be scrolled up (or down if
negative)."
doesn't mention that it also selects an article.

Johan Bockgård

Aug 28, 2007, 7:19:32 PM8/28/07
jid...@jidanni.org writes:

> How can one manipulate around the Summary buffer without marking
> articles as read automatically? Yes I want to mark some articles as
> read, but only explicitly

`gnus-mark-article-hook'
This hook is called whenever an article is selected. It is intended
to be used for marking articles as read. The default value is
`gnus-summary-mark-read-and-unread-as-read', and will change the
mark of almost any article you read to `gnus-read-mark'. The only
articles not affected by this function are ticked, dormant, and
expirable articles. If you'd instead like to just have unread
articles marked as read, you can use
`gnus-summary-mark-unread-as-read' instead. It will leave marks
like `gnus-low-score-mark', `gnus-del-mark' (and so on) alone.

--
Johan Bockgård