removing duplicate mails

1 view

Mattias Rönnblom

Nov 25, 2002, 5:00:47 AM11/25/02

I have a number of duplicates in my mail groups, which I would like
to delete. But unfortunatly there weren't marked as duplicates when
they were fetched from the IMAP server (my nnmail-message-id-cache-
length was too small). Is there some way of rechecking all mails
in a group for duplicates?

I'm using the nnml backend, if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Mattias

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

Dec 28, 2002, 3:24:27 PM12/28/02
Mattias Rönnblom <mattias....@ericsson.com> writes:

> I have a number of duplicates in my mail groups, which I would like
> to delete. But unfortunatly there weren't marked as duplicates when
> they were fetched from the IMAP server (my nnmail-message-id-cache-
> length was too small). Is there some way of rechecking all mails
> in a group for duplicates?

Do the messages still have identical Message-IDs? If so, you can
probably do something by setting `gnus-suppress-duplicates' to t,
enter the group with `C-u RET RET'. `gnus-dup-list' will then
contain a list of all duplicated messages, and you can write a simple
function to delete these messages, leaving just the suppressed
messages left. Then, the next time you enter the group, there'll be
only one copy of each message.

la...@gnus.org * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen