NSNetService with Avahi

Yen-Ju Chen

Jun 5, 2007, 11:48:48 AM6/5/07
to Discuss GNUstep
Did anyone try to run NSNetService with Avahi ?
The configure only detect mDNSResponder.
Unfortunately, I cannot compile mDNSResponder and it is not a package of Ubuntu.
The original patch for NSNetService said it may work with Avahi.
So I guess the API of Avahi is very similar mDNSRsponder.

Thanx.

Yen-Ju

Chris B. Vetter

Jun 5, 2007, 3:32:00 PM6/5/07
to Yen-Ju Chen, Discuss GNUstep
On 6/5/07, Yen-Ju Chen <yjc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did anyone try to run NSNetService with Avahi ?

Yes, I did and I'm not going to comment on Avahi...

> The configure only detect mDNSResponder.
> Unfortunately, I cannot compile mDNSResponder and it is not a package of Ubuntu.

Which version of mDNSResponder did you try?

> The original patch for NSNetService said it may work with Avahi.
> So I guess the API of Avahi is very similar mDNSRsponder.

It is not. However, Avahi used to have/has a compatibility mode that
'maps' mDNSResponder calls to Avahi calls. It's slow and not fully
implemented, but it works.

I was working on Avahi integration for Tryst (which is the 'test bed'
for NSNetService) but got stuck (and sidetracked) half way.
Currently my development machine is (once again) broken (due to
another hard disk crash and faulty RAM). I know it's nothing big, but
I've got a family to take care of, so replacing hardware is at the
very bottom of my list.

--
Chris

TMC

Jun 5, 2007, 8:44:11 PM6/5/07
to Discuss...@gnu.org

I would prefer an Avahi interface as well. My N800 runs Avahi, my Ubuntu
server runs Avahi, why not GNUstep? ;-)

The packages for the Apple compatibility layer are libavahi-compat-libdnssd1
and libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev (the header files).

Yen-Ju Chen

Jun 6, 2007, 3:11:38 PM6/6/07
to TMC, Discuss...@gnu.org
On 6/5/07, TMC <viiie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would prefer an Avahi interface as well. My N800 runs Avahi, my Ubuntu
> server runs Avahi, why not GNUstep? ;-)
>
> The packages for the Apple compatibility layer are libavahi-compat-libdnssd1
> and libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev (the header files).

Thanx. I will take a look of it.

Yen-Ju

Chris B. Vetter

Jun 6, 2007, 3:47:02 PM6/6/07
to TMC, Discuss...@gnu.org
On 6/6/07, TMC <viiie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would prefer an Avahi interface as well. My N800 runs Avahi, my Ubuntu
> server runs Avahi, why not GNUstep? ;-)
[...]

Because mDNSResponder is MUCH easier to handle/program, because it's
API makes more sense, and because Bonjour is Apple's "baby."

--
Chris

Yen-Ju Chen

Jun 6, 2007, 4:36:59 PM6/6/07
to Chris B. Vetter, Discuss...@gnu.org

I got the mDNSResponder to work.
Before, I use the CVS version, which is a bad idea.
mDNSResponder-107.6 from Apple works fine.

Then I run the TBrowser from your original patch and it works.
It can finds tons of stuff.

I notice you have a patch for 108.
Is it for mDNSResponder CVS ?

Yen-Ju

> --
> Chris

Chris B. Vetter

Jun 6, 2007, 4:53:42 PM6/6/07
to Yen-Ju Chen, Discuss...@gnu.org
On 6/6/07, Yen-Ju Chen <yjc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/6/07, Chris B. Vetter <chris....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 6/6/07, TMC <viiie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I would prefer an Avahi interface as well. My N800 runs Avahi, my Ubuntu
> > > server runs Avahi, why not GNUstep? ;-)
> > [...]
> > Because mDNSResponder is MUCH easier to handle/program, because it's
> > API makes more sense, and because Bonjour is Apple's "baby."
> I got the mDNSResponder to work.
> Before, I use the CVS version, which is a bad idea.

Yes, the one in CVS is broken for all platforms other than Darwin.
This is (according to the developer's mailing list) due to
restructuring of the code.

> mDNSResponder-107.6 from Apple works fine.
> Then I run the TBrowser from your original patch and it works.

v107.6 is the 'official' (aka stable) version you will get when you go
to the developer's pages
(http://developer.apple.com/opensource/internet/bonjour.html).

> It can finds tons of stuff.
> I notice you have a patch for 108.
> Is it for mDNSResponder CVS ?

No. It's for v108.x you can get from
http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/ when you sign up for
ADC.

--
Chris

Chris B. Vetter

Jun 9, 2007, 3:43:58 AM6/9/07
to Yen-Ju Chen, Discuss...@gnu.org
On 6/6/07, Yen-Ju Chen <yjc...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

> Then I run the TBrowser from your original patch and it works.
> It can finds tons of stuff.
[...]

I just remembered that this is one of the things that won't work with
Avahi's compatibility mode.

To browse for all possible services, TBrowser searches for
'_services._dns-sd._udp.'
According to the documentation this is supposed to return all services
available on the net. Avahi's compatibility mode doesn't know how to
handle this 'service' and will return nothing.

IIRC, TXT record updates are also not supported.

--
Chris