w3m browser in Emacs

Will Willis

Jun 18, 2009, 10:15:43 PM6/18/09
to help-gn...@gnu.org
What does it take to get w3m working? Out of the box, w3m doesn't come
on my Emacs builds on Mac or Windows.

Xah Lee

Jun 18, 2009, 11:15:46 PM6/18/09
On Jun 18, 7:15 pm, Will Willis <will.wil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What does it take to get w3m working? Out of the box, w3m doesn't come
> on my Emacs builds on Mac or Windows.

you have to install it.

on OS X, you can intall it thru Fink or MacPorts. On windows, you can
install it thru Cygwin.

Once you installed it, you have to install the elisp package that
integrate it with emacs. Look at emacswiki about where to get it.

I don't particularly recommend it. The advantage is too trivial, and
the cost to install and maintain, learn, is a bit high. When using it
in emacs, it is actually some 2 or more times slower, than actually
using a full featured browser with graphics and css and javascript
all.

there are a lot quality browsers today (safari, chrom, opera,
firefox). If you want, you can set up one of these browsers to not
load graphics or css or javascript. And you can set shortcut keys in
emacs or system wide to easily switch to and fro between emacs and
that browser. Or, have a region in emacs automatically launch to the
browser to do web search or stuff. For this, see:
http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_lookup_ref.html

Xah
http://xahlee.org/

prad

Jun 19, 2009, 12:37:19 AM6/19/09
to help-gn...@gnu.org
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 21:15:43 -0500
Will Willis <will....@gmail.com> wrote:

> What does it take to get w3m working? Out of the box, w3m doesn't come
> on my Emacs builds on Mac or Windows.

you need to install w3m of course, but to get it to work with emacs you
need to install emacs-w3m. without that you can run w3m from a terminal
which i prefer to links or lynx, but not through emacs.

--
In friendship,
prad

... with you on your journey
Towards Freedom
http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's

Thierry Volpiatto

Jun 19, 2009, 4:00:36 AM6/19/09
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Hi,

Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jun 18, 7:15 pm, Will Willis <will.wil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What does it take to get w3m working? Out of the box, w3m doesn't come
>> on my Emacs builds on Mac or Windows.
>
> you have to install it.

> on OS X, you can intall it thru Fink or MacPorts. On windows, you can
> install it thru Cygwin.
>
> Once you installed it, you have to install the elisp package that
> integrate it with emacs. Look at emacswiki about where to get it.

Note that on emacs version >= 23 you have to use the CVS version of
emacs-w3m.

> I don't particularly recommend it. The advantage is too trivial, and
> the cost to install and maintain, learn, is a bit high. When using it
> in emacs, it is actually some 2 or more times slower, than actually
> using a full featured browser with graphics and css and javascript
> all.

Indeed, w3m in emacs is very fast. Faster than any graphic browser.
You can interact with emacs easily. (many emacs extensions use it).
When you need more features (javascript etc...) you can switch
immediately to your graphic browser with "M".

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

Xah Lee

Jun 19, 2009, 11:59:59 AM6/19/09
On Jun 19, 1:00 am, Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpia...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Note that on emacs version >= 23 you have to use the CVS version of
> emacs-w3m.

thanks for this info.

> > I don't particularly recommend it. The advantage is too trivial, and
> > the cost to install and maintain, learn, is a bit high. When using it
> > in emacs, it is actually some 2 or more times slower, than actually
> > using a full featured browser with graphics and css and javascript
> > all.
>
> Indeed, w3m in emacs is very fast. Faster than any graphic browser.
> You can interact with emacs easily. (many emacs extensions use it).
> When you need more features (javascript etc...) you can switch
> immediately to your graphic browser with "M".

humm? my experience is that it is much slower than a full featured
browser. This was my experience on a Mac, OS X 10.4.x running Carbon
emacs (based on emacs 22.x).

this is something we can test and verify to avoid the common online
mis-info.
Maybe i'll do so again later today, but anyone who has w3m installed
can easily check. Please report back.

i searched for my last message posted here about w3m. Apparantly i
reported back than from my experience that w3m+emacs is some 5 times
slower than a full featured web browser
http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/msg/55a6c1b941d3973c

Xah
http://xahlee.org/

Joe Fineman

Jun 19, 2009, 5:51:01 PM6/19/09
Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> writes:

> I don't particularly recommend it. The advantage is too trivial, and
> the cost to install and maintain, learn, is a bit high. When using
> it in emacs, it is actually some 2 or more times slower, than
> actually using a full featured browser with graphics and css and
> javascript all.
>
> there are a lot quality browsers today (safari, chrom, opera,
> firefox). If you want, you can set up one of these browsers to not
> load graphics or css or javascript. And you can set shortcut keys in
> emacs or system wide to easily switch to and fro between emacs and
> that browser. Or, have a region in emacs automatically launch to the
> browser to do web search or stuff. For this, see:
> http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_lookup_ref.html

I have IE, Firefox, Conkeror, and w3m. I use Conkeror for serious
browsing, but I find w3m, despite its clunkiness, convenient for
simple queries, especially for business (copyediting); I can often
quickly answer the question "Is this a real word?" without leaving
Emacs. I have an Emacs command that, when I type C-c g, prompts for a
word or phrase & looks it up in Google.
--
--- Joe Fineman jo...@verizon.net

||: The DEA is our Taliban. :||

jid...@jidanni.org

Jun 19, 2009, 6:07:17 PM6/19/09
I use it all the time.
$ apt-cache policy w3m-el-snapshot emacs-snapshot-el|grep 500
500 http://ftp.tw.debian.org unstable/main Packages
500 http://emacs.orebokech.com sid/main Packages
http://jidanni.org/comp/configuration/

Mainly it lets you get down to the nitty gritty of sites, without all
their javascript and CSS tricks. Of course for those sites who have no
inkling of what accessibility means, then I have to fire up Firefox.

Sean Sieger

Jun 20, 2009, 9:58:42 AM6/20/09
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Joe Fineman <jo...@verizon.net> writes:

I have an Emacs command that, when I type C-c g, prompts for a
word or phrase & looks it up in Google.

May I have it?

Joe Fineman

Jun 20, 2009, 6:03:41 PM6/20/09
Sean Sieger <sean....@gmail.com> writes:

(defun google (what)
"Use google to search for WHAT."
(interactive "sSearch: ")
(save-window-excursion
(delete-other-windows)
(let ((dir default-directory))
(w3m-browse-url (concat "http://www.google.com/search?q="
(w3m-url-encode-string what)))
(cd dir)
(recursive-edit))))

(global-set-key "\C-Cg" 'google)

--
--- Joe Fineman jo...@verizon.net

||: The bottom line is in hell. :||

Richard Riley

Jun 21, 2009, 2:27:46 PM6/21/09
Joe Fineman <jo...@verizon.net> writes:

> Sean Sieger <sean....@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Joe Fineman <jo...@verizon.net> writes:
>>
>> I have an Emacs command that, when I type C-c g, prompts for a
>> word or phrase & looks it up in Google.
>>
>> May I have it?
>
> (defun google (what)
> "Use google to search for WHAT."
> (interactive "sSearch: ")
> (save-window-excursion
> (delete-other-windows)
> (let ((dir default-directory))
> (w3m-browse-url (concat "http://www.google.com/search?q="
> (w3m-url-encode-string what)))
> (cd dir)
> (recursive-edit))))
>
> (global-set-key "\C-Cg" 'google)

Also see here for using a command to launch a url in the default desktop
browser or in w3m depending on whether you use the prefix (C-u) - also
checks if its an encoded anchor/link in w3m/gnus.

http://richardriley.net/projects/emacs/dotemacs#sec-5

jid...@jidanni.org

Jun 22, 2009, 5:49:27 PM6/22/09
> (defun google (what)