OT re: .Xdefaults and/or Xresources.

William Case

Apr 20, 2007, 9:45:26 PM4/20/07
to EMACS List
Hi;

Today Robert D. Crawford replied to the "fullscreen does not work
thread". He suggested some changes to the .Xdefault file. My OT
question is, where or how can I find a doc file that gives me a list of
all the changes that can be made to emacs through the .Xdefaults and/or
Xresources file. I have read how to use the proper syntax in info, but
I have had to cut and paste and adlib for any changes I've made.

I know I am just have the wrong search criteria, wrong name or can't
find the right Xwindows manual. But there it is.

Can someone tell me where to find a list of the items that can be
changed and their parameters for .Xdefaults without rummaging around
through the entire Xwindows library?

--
Regards Bill

Peter Dyballa

Apr 21, 2007, 4:55:17 AM4/21/07
to William Case, EMACS List

Am 21.04.2007 um 03:45 schrieb William Case:

> Today Robert D. Crawford replied to the "fullscreen does not work
> thread". He suggested some changes to the .Xdefault file. My OT
> question is, where or how can I find a doc file that gives me a
> list of
> all the changes that can be made to emacs through the .Xdefaults
> and/or
> Xresources file. I have read how to use the proper syntax in info,
> but
> I have had to cut and paste and adlib for any changes I've made.

C-h i m Emacs RET

Then you have the option to choose from:

* Display X:: Changing the default display and using remote
login.
* Font X:: Choosing a font for text, under X.
* Colors X:: Choosing colors, under X.
* Window Size X:: Start-up window size, under X.
* Borders X:: Internal and external borders, under X.
* Title X:: Specifying the initial frame's title.
* Icons X:: Choosing what sort of icon to use, under X.
* Resources X:: Advanced use of classes and resources, under X.
* Lucid Resources:: X resources for Lucid menus.
* LessTif Resources:: X resources for LessTif and Motif menus.

Some examples form my ~/.Xdefaults:

Emacs*geometry: 97x53+111+11
Emacs*Title: "Pete's Latschen"
Emacs*Background: AliceBlue
Emacs*Foreground: Black
Emacs.dialog*.background: RosyBrown
Emacs.dialog*.foreground: MediumSpringGreen
Emacs.dialog*.borderWidth: 4
Emacs.mode-line.attributeForeground: yellow
Emacs.mode-line.attributeBackground: midnightblue

The chapter on X resources can be improved.

--
Greetings

Pete

The box said "Use Windows 95 or better," so I got a Macintosh.