Caps lock doesn't work in Emacs for Windows.

Deephanphongs, David

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00
All of a sudden, the Caps lock key stopped doing anything in Emacs.
It used to work, and now it doesn't. It does work in every other program,
though.

I'm using v. 20.7.1 (i386-*-nt5.0.2195)
and Windows 2000 5.00.2195

It's driving me nuts..
Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
David

Tom Capey

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00

> All of a sudden, the Caps lock key stopped doing anything in Emacs.

it's such a great feeling when that happens :-)

> It used to work, and now it doesn't. It does work in every other
> program, though.

perhaps you've accidentally set `w32-enable-caps-lock' to `nil'. I
wouldn't dream of having it set to anything else myself. Emacs has
a number of really useful commands for upcasing, downcasing, and
capitalising words and regions (and also initials) which I find so
much more convenient than that dastardly and pointless Caps Lock
key.

I've also got a `change-case' function for doing a VI-y sort of
change of case.

(defun change-case (arg)
"Change the case of the ARG char(s) after point."
(interactive "*p")
(let ((insert-string (toggle-case (buffer-substring
(point) (+ (point) arg)))))
(delete-region (point) (+ (point) arg))
(insert insert-string)))

/Tom
--
"compilers that smart wouldn't let you use them." -- Erik Naggum

Jonadab the Unsightly One

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
"Deephanphongs, David" <da...@enikia.com> wrote:

> All of a sudden, the Caps lock key stopped doing anything in Emacs.

Wow! Someone who actually *uses* Caps Lock. I didn't realise
there were such people. Now, if I can just fine someone who uses
those "Application" keys on 104-key keyboards...

--
"Popularity and quality are orthogonal." -- jonadab

Kai Großjohann

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:

> Wow! Someone who actually *uses* Caps Lock. I didn't realise
> there were such people. Now, if I can just fine someone who uses
> those "Application" keys on 104-key keyboards...

The left Windows key is for my window manager, ie LW-z means switch to
the first workspace, LW-n means switch to the sixth workspace.

The right Window key is CapsLock (because I use the CapsLock key for
Ctrl), and the Menu key is Compose (for umlauts). (These two might be
the other way round.)

kai
--
The arms should be held in a natural and unaffected way and never
be conspicuous. -- Revised Technique of Latin American Dancing

Dave Pearson

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
* Jonadab the Unsightly One <jon...@bright.net>:

> "Deephanphongs, David" <da...@enikia.com> wrote:
>
> > All of a sudden, the Caps lock key stopped doing anything in Emacs.
>

> Wow! Someone who actually *uses* Caps Lock. I didn't realise there were
> such people. Now, if I can just fine someone who uses those "Application"
> keys on 104-key keyboards...

I have the two "Windows" keys as Alt keys (the keys marked Alt are Meta
keys) and the "menu" key is Hyper. Alt and Hyper are mostly used to drive my
window manager <URL:http://sawmill.sourceforge.net/>.

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: | lbdb.el - LBDB interface.
http://www.hagbard.demon.co.uk/ | sawfish.el - Sawfish mode.