Flymake and tramp

Jonathan Groll

May 7, 2009, 10:49:06 AM5/7/09
to help-gn...@gnu.org
When I open a ruby buffer using tramp's ssh method I get a popup
stating:

Flymake: Configuration error has occured while running (ruby -c
buffername_flymake.rb). Flymake will be switched OFF

("buffername.rb" in the above will be the name of the file I'm opening)

I assume I need to supply tramp with hints as to where to find ruby?
Or flymake.el? But, the message implies a configuration error, is
there a tramp log perhaps that will show the error? Customizing
flymake-log-level to 3 results in the following in *Messages* which
doesn't say all that much more:

switched OFF Flymake mode for buffer blogg.rb due to fatal status
CFGERR, warning Configuration error has occured while running (ruby -c
blogg_flymake.rb)

I wonder too why it appends _flymake to the filename, such a file does not exist!

If I ssh into the same host and open the same buffer in emacs -nw, flymake
works fine and stays on.

Regards,
Jonathan Groll.

Jonathan Groll

May 7, 2009, 11:35:39 AM5/7/09
to help-gn...@gnu.org

Got more verbose logging out (replaced real IPs with x.xxx):

file /ssh:192.168.x.xxx:/var/www/blog/blogg.rb, init=flymake-ruby-init
flymake is running: nil
file /ssh:192.168.x.xxx:/var/www/blog/blogg.rb, init=flymake-ruby-init
[3 times]
create-temp-inplace: file=/ssh:192.168.x.xxx:/var/www/blog/blogg.rb
temp=/ssh:192.168.x.xxx:/var/www/blog/blogg_flymake.rb
saved buffer blogg.rb in file
/ssh:192.168.x.xxx:/var/www/blog/blogg_flymake.rb
started process 16787, command=(ruby -c blogg_flymake.rb),
dir=/ssh:192.168.x.xxx:/var/www/blog/
received 73 byte(s) of output from process 16787
file /ssh:192.168.x.xxx:/var/www/blog/blogg.rb, init=flymake-ruby-init
parsed '/usr/bin/ruby: No such file or directory -- blogg_flymake.rb
(LoadError)', no line-err-info
file /ssh:192.168.x.xxx:/var/www/blog/blogg.rb, init=flymake-ruby-init
process 16787 exited with code 1
cleaning up using flymake-simple-cleanup
deleted file /ssh:192.168.x.xxx:/var/www/blog/blogg_flymake.rb
blogg.rb: 0 error(s), 0 warning(s) in 0.93 second(s)

switched OFF Flymake mode for buffer blogg.rb due to fatal status
CFGERR, warning Configuration error has occured while running (ruby -c
blogg_flymake.rb)

Mark set

A temp-inplace file is created by flymake, reading the above it seems
that this is a path issue, or is that wrong? I tried adding
/var/www/blog to $PATH in ~/.shrc and ~/.bashrc on the remote host,
and also customized "Tramp Remote Path" but none of those worked
yet...

Regards,
Jonathan.

Michael Albinus

May 26, 2009, 3:45:09 PM5/26/09
to Jonathan Groll, help-gn...@gnu.org
Jonathan Groll <li...@groll.co.za> writes:

>> When I open a ruby buffer using tramp's ssh method I get a popup
>> stating:
>>
>> Flymake: Configuration error has occured while running (ruby -c
>> buffername_flymake.rb). Flymake will be switched OFF
>

> A temp-inplace file is created by flymake, reading the above it seems
> that this is a path issue, or is that wrong? I tried adding
> /var/www/blog to $PATH in ~/.shrc and ~/.bashrc on the remote host,
> and also customized "Tramp Remote Path" but none of those worked
> yet...

Which Emacs and Tramp versions are you using?

> Regards,
> Jonathan.

Best regards, Michael.

Jonathan Groll

May 29, 2009, 3:59:35 AM5/29/09
to Michael Albinus, help-gn...@gnu.org

GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.16.0) of
2009-04-05 on palmer, modified by Debian
2.1.15

Regards,
Jonathan

Michael Albinus

Jun 7, 2009, 12:37:24 PM6/7/09
to Jonathan Groll, help-gn...@gnu.org
Jonathan Groll <li...@groll.co.za> writes:

In `flymake-start-syntax-check-process' of flymake.el, `start-process'
is called. This does not work on remote hosts. Instead of,
`start-file-process' shall be used.

> Regards,
> Jonathan

Best regards, Michael.

Jonathan Groll

Jun 9, 2009, 10:16:10 AM6/9/09
to Michael Albinus, help-gn...@gnu.org

It works! Do I need to open a bug report to have this permanently
fixed, or do you perhaps have commit rights to fix this one?

Many thanks,
Jonathan

Michael Albinus

Jun 9, 2009, 10:51:19 AM6/9/09
to Jonathan Groll, help-gn...@gnu.org
Jonathan Groll <li...@groll.co.za> writes:

>>In `flymake-start-syntax-check-process' of flymake.el, `start-process'
>>is called. This does not work on remote hosts. Instead of,
>>`start-file-process' shall be used.
>
> It works! Do I need to open a bug report to have this permanently
> fixed, or do you perhaps have commit rights to fix this one?

I have commit rights. However, I'm not so familar with flymake.el; it
might be better if somebody else reviews the proposed change.

Furthermore, GNU Emacs 23 is frozen while in pretest phase. So it might
be, that the patch must be postponed until after the release of 23.1.

For these reasons I prefer, if you could write a bug report.

> Many thanks,
> Jonathan

Best regards, Michael.