how to use emacsclient with a remote host?

framallo

Nov 25, 2008, 9:45:49 AM11/25/08
how to make a emacs available for remote hosts:
on host A
; you could use ip or host name
(setq server-host "A")
;set server-use-tcp to t
(setq server-use-tcp t)
(server-start)

check file ~/.emacs.d/server/server

Tip: if i use the hostname the ip goes to 127.0.0.1 On ubuntu
hostname.local gives the real ip or you could write the ip.

check:
http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/browse_thread/thread/41ae06f34fded170/1469a4400e7d22b3?lnk=gst&q=%22server-host%22+server+tcp#1469a4400e7d22b3

you copy server file to host B

scp ~/.emacs.d/server/server user@B:

ssh user@b
$ emacsclient -c -f server

I got it so far, but it's not working. Says connection refused, even
that netstat says it's there.... No firewall's issues. Am i missing
something?

any ideas?

Thanks,
Federico Ramallo

Juanma Barranquero

Nov 25, 2008, 11:05:05 AM11/25/08
to framallo, help-gn...@gnu.org
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 15:45, framallo <fram...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I got it so far, but it's not working. Says connection refused, even
> that netstat says it's there.... No firewall's issues. Am i missing
> something?
>
> any ideas?

Could you supply more info? For example, the precise error message,
and the version of both the Emacs server (on A) and emacsclient (on
B)...

Juanma

Federico Ramallo

Nov 25, 2008, 11:07:12 PM11/25/08
to Juanma Barranquero, help-gnu-emacs, Marcelo Serpa
while doing this detailed steps, i could solve the original issue.
however I can connect with a tty client, but not with a client on X.
I'll show you the steps i did. I reduced this to a simplified test
scenario:
MY GOAL: i use screen to share emacs remotely. Now we are using screen
and emacs on tty. But we want to improve it to have two emacs running on
different hosts on X. Sharing buffers, but the process should run on the
remote host and sync via tcp with server-mode.

In ubuntu 8.04 and GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (check env below)
I have 2 users on the same host: framallo and federico
I'm logged in as framallo. I create two tabs on a terminal emulator. One
has a screen session as framallo and the other i run:
ssh federico@localhost -Y
screen -S testingemacs

Both user has the same on ~/.screenrc
hardstatus on
hardstatus alwayslastline
hardstatus string "%{rk}%H %{gk}%c %{yk}%M%d %{wk}%?%-Lw%?%{bw}%n*%f%t
%?(%u)%?%{wk}%?%+Lw%?"

vbell off
defscrollback 1000
term xterm

# enable scrolling in the xterm
termcapinfo xterm|xterms|xs|rxvt ti@:te@

screen -t console
screen -t emacs emacs -nw
screen -t root sudo -s
------------------

On /home/framallo/.emacs

(setq server-host "1420n")
(setq server-use-tcp t)
(server-start)
-----------------
i run:

framallo@1420n:~$ cat .emacs.d/server/server
127.0.0.1:34765 7483
... (a one line text)
framallo@1420n:~$ scp -r .emacs.d/server/server
federico@1420n:.emacs.d/server

Now i got to federico's tab:

federico@1420n:~$ cat .emacs.d/server/server
127.0.0.1:34765 7483
... (same one line text)

federico@1420n:~$ emacsclient -c -t
emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
emacsclient: connected to remote socket at 192.168.0.150
Waiting for Emacs...
(and a big wow! emacs client is working!)
(But doesn't work with emacsclient running on X)
federico@1420n:~$ emacsclient -c
emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
emacsclient: connected to remote socket at 192.168.0.150
Waiting for Emacs...^[[A
*ERROR*: Display =1420n:10 can't be opened

After playing around i had a Fatal error (11)Segmentation fault and
everything crashed :( snif i was having so much fun

I had problems with security on /dev/pts/1 (or other numbers)
i solved it like this:
chmod 777 /dev/pts -R
It's unsecure, not fancy, but it works.

ENV:
root@1420n:~# aptitude search emacs | grep "i "
i emacs-extra
i emacs-intl-fonts
i emacs-jabber
i emacs-lisp-intro
i emacs-snapshot
i A emacs-snapshot-bin-common
i A emacs-snapshot-common
i emacs-snapshot-el
i emacs-snapshot-gtk
i emacs-snapshot-nox
i emacs-wiki
i A emacsen-common

Any ideas how to debug the segmentation fault?
Thanks
Federico Ramallo

--
Federico Ramallo <fram...@gmail.com>

Juanma Barranquero

Nov 26, 2008, 3:28:53 AM11/26/08
to fram...@gmail.com, help-gnu-emacs, Marcelo Serpa
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 05:07, Federico Ramallo <fram...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any ideas how to debug the segmentation fault?

No, sorry.

Juanma

Erik Iverson

Nov 25, 2008, 11:22:52 PM11/25/08
Federico Ramallo wrote:
> while doing this detailed steps, i could solve the original issue.
> however I can connect with a tty client, but not with a client on X.
> I'll show you the steps i did. I reduced this to a simplified test
> scenario:
> MY GOAL: i use screen to share emacs remotely. Now we are using screen
> and emacs on tty. But we want to improve it to have two emacs running on
> different hosts on X. Sharing buffers, but the process should run on the
> remote host and sync via tcp with server-mode.
>
> In ubuntu 8.04 and GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (check env below)

I didn't read in too much detail, but does this have anything to do with
the emacsclient executable from emacs-snapshot in the Ubuntu repository
being called emacsclient.emacs-snapshot ? On my system (similar setup),
emacsclient is for emacs 22, and emacsclient.emacs-snapshot is from the
snapshot package ...

Federico Ramallo

Nov 26, 2008, 4:45:33 AM11/26/08
to Erik Iverson, help-gnu-emacs, Marcelo Serpa
I removed other emacs versions:

framallo@1420n:~$ emacsclient --version
emacsclient 23.0.60
framallo@1420n:~$ emacsclient.emacs-snapshot --version
emacsclient 23.0.60

one brain, one version :p

now that we are talking about versions, there is a newer server-mode
version available?

--
Federico Ramallo <fram...@gmail.com>