make returns error while compiling emacs23.1

srinivas2828

Sep 27, 2009, 11:04:18 AM9/27/09
to Help-gn...@gnu.org

Hi friends I am trying to install emacs form a source file into Centos-5.3
and I ran configure commad and its completed successfully and after this I
ran make command then it returns a strange error which says
Error
mkdir -p -- /usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc /usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/lisp
/usr/local/share/info /usr/local/share/man/man1 /usr/local/bin
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc /usr/local/libexec
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp /usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
/usr/local/share/applications /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps
/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps
/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/apps
/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps
/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps
/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps
/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/mimetypes
makeinfo is missing - cannot build manuals
make: *** [info] Error 1
please help me

srinivas2828

Sep 27, 2009, 11:35:37 AM9/27/09
to Help-gn...@gnu.org

Hi friends I am trying to install emacs form a source file into Centos-5.3
and I ran configure commad and its completed successfully and after this I
ran make command then its compiled and when i ran make install command and
it cameup with error which says

Glenn Morris

Sep 28, 2009, 1:32:45 AM9/28/09
srinivas2828 wrote:

> makeinfo is missing - cannot build manuals

This is a bug. Either: install makeinfo (although it is not needed) and
re-run configure; or edit the top-level Makefile in the Emacs 23
distribution. Delete the following 3 lines from the "info" target (near
line 821):

elif test "$(MAKEINFO)" = "no"; then \
echo "makeinfo is missing - cannot build manuals" ; \
exit 1 ; \

You will need to edit Makefile.in in the same way if you run configure
again.

http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=3982