python setup ?

Xavier Maillard

Apr 26, 2009, 6:25:03 AM4/26/09
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Hi,

I am starting to do some work with python. I am looking for
options/setups to introduce into my .emacs file to have the best
experience possible with this scripting language.

Where should I start ?

Regards

Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

Richard Riley

Apr 26, 2009, 7:25:36 AM4/26/09
Xavier Maillard <x...@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am starting to do some work with python. I am looking for
> options/setups to introduce into my .emacs file to have the best
> experience possible with this scripting language.
>
> Where should I start ?
>
> Regards
>
> Xavier

I played with some python options last year and it was, unfortunately,
rather messy. There were some conflicts between packages any python
versions. For what its worth, the following was working back when with
emacs 23:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PythonMode#toc11
http://richardriley.net/projects/emacs/dotprogramming#sec-1.3

It includes autocompletion from autocomplete using pysmell. Another
possible integration for eclim and the eclipse engine I would have
thought.

The iPython bit is commented out - I can't remember why off the top of
my head. The pymacs git repository seems dead too unfortunately.

The python-mode used is 5.1.0.

thierry....@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2009, 7:29:41 AM4/26/09
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Hi Xavier,

Xavier Maillard <x...@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am starting to do some work with python. I am looking for
> options/setups to introduce into my .emacs file to have the best
> experience possible with this scripting language.
>
> Where should I start ?

I personnaly use python-mode.el that is much better than python.el (that
come with emacs).
https://code.launchpad.net/~python-mode-devs/python-mode/python-mode

I use also ipython as python shell that integrate fine in emacs.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3417/3476168380_ac540f1f02_o.png

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

Richard Riley

Apr 26, 2009, 9:16:04 AM4/26/09
Richard Riley <riley...@googlemail.com> writes:

Just to follow up, I re-enabled the ipython bit and it worked fine. I
had ipython 0.9.1 installed.

The python config (for Linux) is then done in
~/.ipython/ipy_user_conf.py

Andreas Röhler

Apr 27, 2009, 3:42:52 AM4/27/09
to Richard Riley, help-gn...@gnu.org, thierry....@gmail.com

Hi,

I've changed python-mode a little bit.
Purpose was to make movements a little bit easier,
more predictible.

Comments welcome.

BTW have a look at pydb from Rocky Bernstein, if not done already.

Andreas

--
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/python-mode.el/files
https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

Richard Riley

Apr 27, 2009, 4:53:53 AM4/27/09
Andreas Röhler <andreas...@easy-emacs.de> writes:

I see you have a pycomplete. Nicholaj Schum has jus put together a
company mode backend for pysmell. How does pycomplete compare to
pysmell?

Richard Riley

Apr 27, 2009, 4:58:20 AM4/27/09

Hi Andreas,

I need some clarification as to versions.

Andreas Röhler <andreas...@easy-emacs.de> writes:
> I've changed python-mode a little bit.
> Purpose was to make movements a little bit easier,
> more predictible.

The one I already have is

(defconst py-version "5.1.0"

yet yours is

(defconst py-version "5.0.0+"

so it's still a tad confusing as to which to use.

Can you comment on the versioning here please?

I got mine from:

https://launchpad.net/python-mode

where the latest update was from january.

Python has a lot of competing SW it seems! It can get quite confusing.

Andreas Röhler

Apr 27, 2009, 7:08:35 AM4/27/09
to Richard Riley, help-gn...@gnu.org

Thats part of the package kept by Barry Warsaw. Made a branch from it,
but changed only python-mode.el.

I'm not sure to keep this files in my branch or not.

Nonetheless, thanks for your question. I shall have a look at it and try
an answer next days.

BTW as more things are at stake as python-mode.el, what would you think
about an archiv
emacs-python, where all the stuff to edit python-code with emacs is
collected?

For me Launchpad seems perfect for such a thing with its email- and
bug-report-integration.

There we could discuss the probably best emacs-python configuration -
which will change,
if someone brings up new things.

Andreas

Richard Riley

Apr 27, 2009, 7:15:40 AM4/27/09
Andreas Röhler <andreas...@easy-emacs.de> writes:

To be honest, my feeling is that the last thing anyone needs is yet
another python place. The wiki is already a mess of questions and
answers and mode specific difficulties. Tie that in with emacs 23/22 and
ipython or not, the numerous ways you can do python completion etc, it
needs to be simplified not extended.

Thanks for the heads up about pydb btw, nice.

> For me Launchpad seems perfect for such a thing with its email- and
> bug-report-integration.
>
> There we could discuss the probably best emacs-python configuration -
> which will change,
> if someone brings up new things.

I think the emacs wiki is best for this stuff purely because its "there"
and there are numerous utilities to integrate emacs with emacs wiki
pages. Just keep links to relevant pages.

You might be right : point the wiki to launchpad and remove all the out
of date stuff. What do others think?

Andreas Röhler

Apr 27, 2009, 7:20:54 AM4/27/09
Richard Riley wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> I need some clarification as to versions.
>
> Andreas Röhler <andreas...@easy-emacs.de> writes:
>
>> I've changed python-mode a little bit.
>> Purpose was to make movements a little bit easier,
>> more predictible.
>>

> The one I already have is
>
> (defconst py-version "5.1.0"
>
> yet yours is
>
> (defconst py-version "5.0.0+"
>
> so it's still a tad confusing as to which to use.

Yes, sorry. It was and isn't still clear yet how to proceed.

I branched from "5.0.0+"

Later Barry took GPLv3 and changed version to "5.1.0".

There is some confusion about (re)licensing process too.
As soon as XEmacs switched to v3 I intend to follow.

To check whats changed, best is to read bazaars history with its
own numbering.

> Can you comment on the versioning here please?
>
> I got mine from:
>
> https://launchpad.net/python-mode
>
> where the latest update was from january.
>
> Python has a lot of competing SW it seems!

Its a dynamicly evolving language still. Concerning Emacs I estimate we
are only half
the way to explore its capabilties for and with python.

thierry....@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2009, 9:50:32 AM4/27/09
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Hi Richard,

Richard Riley <riley...@googlemail.com> writes:

I use this actually:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/50837/match=pycomplete

That is the only pycomplete that work fine for me, it's really nice, the
author should put it on emacswiki or send it as a patch for python-mode
package.

The pycomplete that come with python-mode doesn't work for me.

I don't know pysmell, and i don't use company, auto-complete etc...

Richard Riley

Apr 27, 2009, 10:12:24 AM4/27/09
thierry....@gmail.com writes:

> Hi Richard,

> I use this actually:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/50837/match=pycomplete
>
> That is the only pycomplete that work fine for me, it's really nice, the
> author should put it on emacswiki or send it as a patch for python-mode
> package.
>
> The pycomplete that come with python-mode doesn't work for me.
>
> I don't know pysmell, and i don't use company, auto-complete etc...

Nicholaj has promised a pycomplete backend for company too. I can
recommend company-mode. The documentation for it is not the best
unfortunately but its being improved all the time. company-mode even has
completion for ispell dictionaries which is nice and also has a semantic
back end for talking to cedet so can complete any language semantic can
parse. recommended. But I have to say that completion is one of the
messiest areas in emacs - many possibilities all reinventing the wheel
in some cases. I intend to try pycomplete too.

regards,

r.

thierry....@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2009, 11:23:45 AM4/27/09
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Richard Riley <riley...@googlemail.com> writes:

Thank you Richard, i will have a look at company-mode when it will have
support for pycomplete.
May be an anything extension would be nice also...

superbobry

Apr 27, 2009, 8:55:34 PM4/27/09
Hello,
Can anyone help me with python code folding please? I tried:
* hs-minor-mode (doesn't work with python)
* outline mode (it does the folding part, but is really buggy with
python)

Is there a solution?
Thank you,
Sergei

Xavier Maillard

Apr 28, 2009, 2:34:41 AM4/28/09
to Richard Riley, help-gn...@gnu.org

Andreas Röhler <andreas...@easy-emacs.de> writes:

> Richard Riley wrote:
> I've changed python-mode a little bit.
> Purpose was to make movements a little bit easier,
> more predictible.

I see you have a pycomplete. Nicholaj Schum has jus put together a

company mode backend for pysmell. How does pycomplete compare to
pysmell?

How my gosh ! What are all these tools ? :/

Xavier Maillard

Apr 28, 2009, 2:34:43 AM4/28/09
to Andreas Röhler, help-gn...@gnu.org, riley...@googlemail.com

Richard Riley wrote:
> Andreas Röhler <andreas...@easy-emacs.de> writes:
>

>> Richard Riley wrote:
>>
>> I've changed python-mode a little bit.
>> Purpose was to make movements a little bit easier,
>> more predictible.
>>
>> Comments welcome.
>>
>> BTW have a look at pydb from Rocky Bernstein, if not done already.
>>
>> Andreas
>>

> I see you have a pycomplete. Nicholaj Schum has jus put together a
> company mode backend for pysmell. How does pycomplete compare to
> pysmell?

Thats part of the package kept by Barry Warsaw. Made a branch from it,
but changed only python-mode.el.

I'm not sure to keep this files in my branch or not.

Nonetheless, thanks for your question. I shall have a look at it and try
an answer next days.

BTW as more things are at stake as python-mode.el, what would you think
about an archiv
emacs-python, where all the stuff to edit python-code with emacs is
collected?

I vote for this idea. A kind of "python starter kit" would be
very appreciated given how messy python (in emacs world) is... It
is practically impossible to understand which tool is good and
for what it is good.

thierry....@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2009, 2:42:23 AM4/28/09
to Xavier Maillard, help-gn...@gnu.org
Hi,
Xavier Maillard <x...@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi

> Xavier Maillard <x...@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I am starting to do some work with python. I am looking for
> > options/setups to introduce into my .emacs file to have the best
> > experience possible with this scripting language.
> >
> > Where should I start ?
>

> I personnaly use python-mode.el that is much better than python.el (that
> come with emacs).
>

> In what is it better ?

Just one example:
When you are in your python file
use C-c ! to open the python-interpreter
then run C-c C-c, the program is evaluated and output is send to
interpreter. that's nice to debug.

python.el doesn't show output in interpreter.

> I use also ipython as python shell that integrate fine in emacs.
>

> Phew, how many new dependances should I install in order to have

Install python-mode.el and add the 3 or 4 lines mentionned in headers of
file. that's it. In off for a basic usage of python.

> something simple to use ? :) I thought python was something for
> beginners, it is not. I find it easier to play lisp...

Xavier Maillard

Apr 28, 2009, 2:34:36 AM4/28/09
to Richard Riley, help-gn...@gnu.org

Richard Riley <riley...@googlemail.com> writes:

Just to follow up, I re-enabled the ipython bit and it worked fine. I
had ipython 0.9.1 installed.

Would you mind explaingin briefly what makes ipython so
attractive (compared to default bundled mode and/or with
python-mode).

Thank you.

Xavier Maillard

Apr 28, 2009, 2:34:33 AM4/28/09
to thierry....@gmail.com, help-gn...@gnu.org
Hi

Xavier Maillard <x...@gnu.org> writes:

> I am starting to do some work with python. I am looking for
> options/setups to introduce into my .emacs file to have the best
> experience possible with this scripting language.
>
> Where should I start ?

I personnaly use python-mode.el that is much better than python.el (that
come with emacs).

In what is it better ?

I use also ipython as python shell that integrate fine in emacs.

Phew, how many new dependances should I install in order to have

something simple to use ? :) I thought python was something for
beginners, it is not. I find it easier to play lisp...

Xavier

thierry....@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2009, 4:04:51 AM4/28/09
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Xavier Maillard <x...@gnu.org> writes:

> Richard Riley <riley...@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> Just to follow up, I re-enabled the ipython bit and it worked fine. I
> had ipython 0.9.1 installed.
>
> Would you mind explaingin briefly what makes ipython so
> attractive (compared to default bundled mode and/or with
> python-mode).

No, ipython is a replacement for the default interpreter python.
It doesn't replace python-mode.el nor python.el.

If you install it, you can use it with python-mode.el.
AFAIK not with python.el.

It is called by the py-shell command.

It is an enhanced python interpreter. (see screenshot in precedent post).

Andreas Röhler

Apr 28, 2009, 4:51:24 AM4/28/09
to Xavier Maillard, pytho...@python.org, help-gn...@gnu.org, Richard Riley, thierry....@gmail.com
Hi Xavier,

as its well known, you are not a beginner with Emacs,
please permit to take your comment as occasion:

Your question and experience with Emacs and Python
reflects IMHO some general strength and likewise
present limitation.

The strength is, clearly: with that many files out
there, that many people who wrote already something for
python, with some Emacs Lisp knowledge you'll be able
to install a reasonable environment.

OTOH: how many people did that already, spent hours to
collect and adapt utilities from the net? And
afterwards? If we take together all this time from
users configuring an python-environment, we could
probably get more useful results from it. So there is a
lose of time.

Can we do better? ... :)

One thing, thats to realize IMO: times are gone where
one person with some knowledge of a language may write
a mode and thats it. Even maintaining it alone seems to
surpass any personal capacity. If we want to keep path,
we have to establish developer-groups caring for a
language. That happened already with C-modes AFAIS. We
need that for any major language.

Concerning python, we have enough man-power to
perform excellent things. To the extent, user have to do
`M-x python,' and an environment with all up-to-date
debugging facilities gets installed.

No question its great whats done at

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PythonMode

Emacswiki was helpful many times for me.

However, for pure development issues, designed
platforms like Launchpad seem more suitable for the
purpose for me. Beside excellent bazaar behind, lets mention
its email- and bugreport integration.

As it happens we have with Barry Warsaw not just an
experienced Emacs Lisper, but a python core developer
with its python-mode account: we should try our chance
to proceed with his gentle help occasionally.

AFAIS we need tailored accounts, where we maintain
flavours of possible environments, learning and lifting
from each other, enabling distributions to select and
pull for delivering.

So far

Andreas

--
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/python-mode.el/
https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

Bernardo

Apr 28, 2009, 6:43:00 AM4/28/09
to help-gn...@gnu.org
hi,

which version of Emacs are you using?
i remember there was a hideshow problem introduced somewhere after v22.1
and i added this 'quick-n-dirty' hack into my .emacs

(defun bb-python-hs-helper (arg)
"Helper function for the bb-use-old-hideshow-setting below"
(python-end-of-defun)
(skip-chars-backward " \t\n"))

(defun bb-use-old-hideshow-setting ()
"Restore the hs-special-modes-alist setting that used to work fine in
v22.1.1"
(if (and (= emacs-major-version 22)
(>= emacs-minor-version 2))
(progn
(setq hs-special-modes-alist
(assq-delete-all 'python-mode hs-special-modes-alist))
(add-to-list 'hs-special-modes-alist
'(python-mode "^\\s-*def\\>" nil "#"
bb-python-hs-helper
nil)))))

(add-hook 'python-mode-hook
(lambda ()
(hs-minor-mode 1)
(bb-use-old-hideshow-setting)
;other stuff
))

this fixed the folding problem in v22.3 but may or may not help with
your issue

however, version pre-23 seems to work without this ugly hack

HTH

superbobry

Apr 28, 2009, 7:25:28 AM4/28/09

Hello,
I'm using 23.0 from, built from cvs. I tryed the hack above already,
and it wasnt working 100% with me. Anyway, i managed to solve the
problem using semantic (from CEDET tools).
Cheers,
Sergei

Richard Riley

Apr 28, 2009, 12:55:07 PM4/28/09
Xavier Maillard <x...@gnu.org> writes:

Yes, but keep it in the emacs wiki. Not "yet another" source - half the
problem now is that its scattered all over the place. The issues with
python-mode versioning is one such.

Richard Riley

Apr 28, 2009, 12:56:31 PM4/28/09
Xavier Maillard <x...@gnu.org> writes:

> Richard Riley <riley...@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> Just to follow up, I re-enabled the ipython bit and it worked fine. I
> had ipython 0.9.1 installed.
>
> Would you mind explaingin briefly what makes ipython so
> attractive (compared to default bundled mode and/or with
> python-mode).
>
> Thank you.
>
> Xavier

http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/

Some people dont like it saying its not "real python". You need to make
up your own mind really.

Xavier Maillard

Apr 29, 2009, 6:25:03 PM4/29/09
to superbobry, help-gn...@gnu.org
Hi,

On Apr 28, 2:43 pm, Bernardo <bernardo.ba...@pobox.com> wrote:
> > Can anyone help me with python code folding please? I tried:
> > * hs-minor-mode (doesn't work with python)
> > * outline mode (it does the folding part, but is really buggy with
> > python)
>

> i remember there was a hideshow problem introduced somewhere after v22.1
> and i added this 'quick-n-dirty' hack into my .emacs
>

> however, version pre-23 seems to work without this ugly hack
>
> HTH

Hello,
I'm using 23.0 from, built from cvs. I tryed the hack above already,
and it wasnt working 100% with me. Anyway, i managed to solve the
problem using semantic (from CEDET tools).

Why not report this wrong behaviour to the emacs development team ?

Xavier Maillard

Apr 29, 2009, 6:25:07 PM4/29/09
to Richard Riley, help-gn...@gnu.org

http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/

Some people dont like it saying its not "real python". You need to make
up your own mind really.

Thank you. I installed it onto my home PC.

Andreas Röhler

Apr 30, 2009, 1:42:35 AM4/30/09
Xavier Maillard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Apr 28, 2:43 pm, Bernardo <bernardo.ba...@pobox.com> wrote:
> > > Can anyone help me with python code folding please? I tried:
> > > * hs-minor-mode (doesn't work with python)
> > > * outline mode (it does the folding part, but is really buggy with
> > > python)

`show-body' and `hide-all' work for me right out of the box.

Interested to know, where the error occurs.

Andreas

Andreas Röhler

Apr 30, 2009, 3:25:40 AM4/30/09
to Xavier Maillard, help-gn...@gnu.org, Barry Warsaw, Richard Riley, pytho...@python.org
Xavier Maillard wrote:
> Hi,

> Richard Riley wrote:
>
> >> The python-mode used is 5.1.0.
>
> I've changed python-mode a little bit.
> Purpose was to make movements a little bit easier,
> more predictible.
>
> Easier, how easier ? What is so difficult with the default
> bindings ? (serious questions).

Hi Xavier,

well, what means "easier"?

Our personal notion about whats best or fittest not
always is acknowledged by others obviously. Tastes
differ. From that I mean its better not just to look
for the one-and-all solution, but to offer flavors of
modes, so people have the choice. Thats already done
with perl-mode and cperl-mode for example. Nonetheless,
the one-and-all idea seems deep-rooted not just in
religion.

With python-mode.el, people may have good reasons, to
use it as it is - and me to leave it as it is. Thats
fine with bazaar and other DVCs, we can do that. My
branch doesn't hamper the origin and any further branch
will not. Its just freedom to try and see.

Branch orginated from some request, to close forms more
definitely, more specific. Whilst python looks easy and
indeed is, editing it poses some specific difficulties
resulting from special meaning of whitespace.

Python-mode solved this by offering some repeats: if
you are not at the right indentation, just try the next
one - outer or inner.

Thats OK, thats a possible approach. Here the request
came from a user, who must care to save keystrokes.

Thus I wrote commands precisely closing function or
class, resp. last block. Block conceived as the
smollest hierarchical unit - themselves if no hierarchy
exists.

Too I had some other things in mind: reduction of
complexity, generalisation. Something remains to be
done.

Some reporting facilities have been introduced and
shall be still.

Here new functions as `bzr log' displays it:

`py-next-statement' and `py-previous-statement' set cursor at first char
on line instead of beginning of line

py-forward-block, py-backward-block

py-beginning-of-def-or-class
py-class-at-point
py-function-at-point
py-beginning-of-function
py-beginning-of-class
py-end-of-function
py-end-of-class
py-end-of-def-or-class
py-line-at-point
py-block-at-point
py-beginning-of-block
py-end-of-block

py-whats-at-point

py-beginning-of-def-or-class (really "or")

py-beginning-of-def-or-class-if-arg

########

So far

Andreas R�hler

> BTW have a look at pydb from Rocky Bernstein, if not done already.
>
> What is it useful for ?
>
> Xavier

Barry Warsaw

Apr 30, 2009, 9:24:46 AM4/30/09
to Andreas Röhler, help-gn...@gnu.org, Richard Riley, pytho...@python.org
On Apr 30, 2009, at 3:25 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

> With python-mode.el, people may have good reasons, to
> use it as it is - and me to leave it as it is. Thats
> fine with bazaar and other DVCs, we can do that. My
> branch doesn't hamper the origin and any further branch
> will not. Its just freedom to try and see.

This is true, and experimentation a good thing in the short term. In
the long term though, a proliferation of branches just confuses people
because no one's sure which is the official branch. Our lives are
more difficult too because of the python-mode.el/python.el split.

So I encourage you to experiment and get user feedback. Old-timers
(and remember, python-mode.el's been in widespread use for 15 years)
will be wedded to their muscle memory, but if you introduce a user-
visible change that people like, they can be made configurable with
defaults providing the old behavior. Then it will be possible to
merge your changes back into the official branch. If you modularize
your changes, then the less controversial ones can get merged in sooner.

-Barry

PGP.sig

bbbsc...@gmail.com

May 1, 2009, 5:35:07 PM5/1/09
Actually, as an aside, what sort of workflows do people have when
using emacs with something like python? Being relatively new to emacs
I've been struggling slightly with finding an optimal workflow.

For example, in other editors/IDEs my workflow would be something
along the lines of:
1. Edit code
2. Run something like pylint or pychecker over the code, run the unit
tests, etc
3. Run the app via the debugger
4. Catch any crashes or problems in the debugger, fix them, and start
again.

In emacs, cycling from editing code to running it under the debugger
seems a touch fiddly, largely because it seems to involve more than
hitting a single key. I've also tried the 'run/reimport buffer into
the interpreter workflow' without much success, in that I usually just
want to rerun my app from scratch rather than reload just the file I'm
working on.

I suspect that I'm so used to the usual IDE workflow that I'm
overlooking something fundamental. Any insights would be much
appreciated.

Thanks!

Simon

Richard Riley

May 4, 2009, 12:57:46 PM5/4/09
to Barry Warsaw, pytho...@python.org, Richard Riley, Xavier, help-gn...@gnu.org
Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org> writes:

IMO any new "obviously useful" features should be enabled by
default. Old Timers should have no problem reverting to older
configurations via settings. A point which generates much contention I
know. As it is, Python set up is/was a minefield. I have a reasonable
set up here fwiw,

This includes pysmell completions for hippie expand and company-mode.

http://richardriley.net/projects/emacs/dotprogramming#sec-1.3

Andreas Röhler

May 8, 2009, 5:16:35 AM5/8/09
to Richard Riley, help-gn...@gnu.org, pytho...@python.org
Richard Riley wrote:
> hi Andreas,
>
> but can one list breakpoints in pydb? Cant see how.
>
> r.

info breakpoints

http://bashdb.sourceforge.net/pydb/pydb/lib/subsubsection-info.html

Grüße

Andreas

Richard Riley

May 8, 2009, 12:36:17 PM5/8/09
Andreas Röhler <andreas...@easy-emacs.de> writes:

Yeah, I found it shortly after emailing you. Whenever I go back to gdb
that one always eludes me too - it just seems wrong. I always try "b
list" and so forth :-;

But thanks for the link. pydb is nice.

Piet van Oostrum

May 13, 2009, 5:05:02 PM5/13/09

>RR> Xavier Maillard <x...@gnu.org> writes:
>>> Richard Riley <riley...@googlemail.com> writes:
>>>
>>> Just to follow up, I re-enabled the ipython bit and it worked fine. I
>>> had ipython 0.9.1 installed.
>>>
>>> Would you mind explaingin briefly what makes ipython so
>>> attractive (compared to default bundled mode and/or with
>>> python-mode).
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> Xavier

>RR> http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/

I was interested and installed iPython. However, when I enable it in
Emacs (Carbon Emacs 22.3 on Mac OS X 10.4) the comint mode gets into
problems. E.g when I do find-name-dired I get this error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Marker does not point anywhere")
ipython-indentation-hook("")
run-hook-with-args(ipython-indentation-hook "")
comint-send-input(t t)
comint-skip-input()
comint-stop-subjob()
run-hooks(comint-mode-hook shell-mode-hook)
apply(run-hooks (comint-mode-hook shell-mode-hook))
run-mode-hooks(shell-mode-hook)
shell-mode()
shell-command("find . \\( -iname test \\) -exec ls -ld \\{\\} \\;&" #<buffer *Find*>)
find-dired("~/TEST/PYTHON/PythonCard/" "-iname test")
find-name-dired("~/TEST/PYTHON/PythonCard/" "test")
call-interactively(find-name-dired)
execute-extended-command(nil)
call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

Does anybody know why this happens and how I can prevent it?
--
Piet van Oostrum <pi...@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: pi...@vanoostrum.org