interaction with gnuplot

Federico Beffa

Aug 17, 2010, 8:09:50 AM8/17/10
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Hi All,

I'm on WinXP SP3 with emacs 23.1.1 and gnuplot 4.4.0 and gnuplot-mode 0.6.0. I would like to use gnuplot from inside of emacs. To do that I'm trying to use gnuplot-mode and have set (setq gnuplot-command "c:/Program Files/gnuplot/binary/pgnuplot.exe") in my .emacs.

In a file in gnuplot-mode I press C-c C-l to send a line with "plot [0:3] sin(x)" to gnuplot. Gnuplot starts and plots the function. However, emacs remains blocked waiting for something. If I press C-g emacs returns alive and I can continue. The same happens with every command I send to gnuplot.

To understand if the problem is with gnuplot-mode or with emacs itself, I tried to run pgnuplot from inside an emacs shell (M-x shell RET). Inside the shell I can execute (several) commands without having to press C-g after every command, but I do not see the gnuplot prompt. Could this be the reason for the abnormal behavior in gnuplot-mode? Any suggestion on how to fix gnuplot-mode under WinXP?

Thanks,
Fede

P.S. I tried emacs 23.2 and gnuplot 4.2 as well with the same results.

Eli Zaretskii

Aug 17, 2010, 12:37:12 PM8/17/10
to help-gn...@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 14:09:50 +0200
> From: Federico Beffa <be...@ieee.org>

> Any suggestion on how to fix gnuplot-mode under WinXP?
>
> Thanks,
> Fede
>
> P.S. I tried emacs 23.2 and gnuplot 4.2 as well with the same results.

It should work in Emacs 23.2 to use gnuplot from Calc. I didn't use
gnuplot-mode, so I don't know about that, but a few Windows-specific
bugs were fixed in Calc in Emacs 23.2.

Federico Beffa

Aug 18, 2010, 11:16:55 AM8/18/10
to help-gn...@gnu.org
I can confirm that Calc and gnuplot interact correctly on my machine, but the problem with gnuplot-mode remains.

Regards,
Fede

Eli Zaretskii

Aug 18, 2010, 11:52:27 AM8/18/10
to help-gn...@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 17:16:55 +0200
> From: Federico Beffa <be...@ieee.org>
>
> I can confirm that Calc and gnuplot interact correctly on my machine, but
> the problem with gnuplot-mode remains.

Well, since gnuplot-mode is not part of the Emacs distribution, I
suggest to submit a bug report to its maintainer(s).

Leo

Aug 25, 2010, 9:32:26 AM8/25/10
to help-gn...@gnu.org
On 2010-08-17 13:09 +0100, Federico Beffa wrote:
> In a file in gnuplot-mode I press C-c C-l to send a line with "plot [0:3]
> sin(x)" to gnuplot. Gnuplot starts and plots the function. However, emacs
> remains blocked waiting for something. If I press C-g emacs returns alive
> and I can continue. The same happens with every command I send to gnuplot.

What happens if you run the line directly.

1. M-x comint-run and then type `gnuplot'
2. execute the line

gnuplot-mode is dated. Someone aught to write a new one that can be
distributed with gnu emacs.

Cheers
Leo

--
Any Emacs contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow
implementation of half of Common Lisp.